Cubase level meter

Post your Lemur Projects.
Phil999
Regular
Cubase level meter

Post by Phil999 » 30 Jan 2012 00:23

a level meter template for Cubase. It displays the current level of the selected channel quite accurately.

To be honest, I did not know that Cubase's Generic Remote has this output command for each channel called 'Meter All', although I use Cubase and bidirectional controllers for many years. I stumbled over that command after trying out a TouchOSC template from a gentleman called jbgeluid.

http://hexler.net/forum/viewthread/131/

If I knew that earlier, I could have done level meters with my old BCR years ago. Anyway, I have created a Lemur template using this 'Meter All' command in a Generic Remote Device. You will need to create a Generic Remote Device in Cubase and load the xml provided in the archive. Set the MIDI in- and output to your Lemur (input is only needed if you want to use the fader). Then load the testLEDmeter03 template into Lemur. The other template testLEDmeter02 is handy for creating your own level meters, maybe with only three LED's, or 25 LED's. What you prefer.

But it is not perfect. The Cubase 'Meter All' output is decreasing slowly. I think there is no way to make it faster. But it increases quite fast, even over a wireless connection routed to a LAN, therefore it's still usable.

I used 12 separate LED's, it would be more elegant to use only one LED with 12 rows. If someone finds a way to do this with a little coding, I'd appreciate that. Including Multicolor of course.
Attachments
Cubase_level_meter.rar
(3.8KiB)Downloaded 569 times
Formant+Eurorack, PPG wave 2.2, Korg MS-20, etc., EWI 4000s, QuNeo, etc., Mixbus32c, u-he, MadronaLabs, Samplemodeling, NI, etc., iPad2/4/Pro

whatisvalis
Regular

Re: Cubase level meter

Post by whatisvalis » 02 Feb 2012 03:59

Just tried this and works great. Pretty cool!

Phil999
Regular

Post by Phil999 » 18 Feb 2012 01:45

I want to switch (increase/decrease) 8 LED objects' CC number. I tried to steal this from AB's Controlab template, but I do it all wrong. This is because I don't know what I'm doing, to be honest. If someone wants to help me with this one, I have attached my template. The small button should increment the 8 LED objects' CC number by 1, the large one by 8.
Attachments
CubaseMackieControl.jzml
(36.32KiB)Downloaded 332 times
Formant+Eurorack, PPG wave 2.2, Korg MS-20, etc., EWI 4000s, QuNeo, etc., Mixbus32c, u-he, MadronaLabs, Samplemodeling, NI, etc., iPad2/4/Pro

Phil999
Regular

Post by Phil999 » 12 Oct 2013 02:51

here's a little update including a peak indicator. Thanks to Catmann05 for the hint.

I made a few changes. Notes instead of CC's, and a different MIDI channel. You may change that to your liking. The module is set to MIDI channel 9 and Lemur target 0. The meter is set to note 47, the peak indicator to note 48. In Cubase, edit/add two entries:

meter---------Note On---9---47---127---.T.
meter_max---Note On---9---48---127---.T.

VST mixer---Selected---Meter All-----..
VST mixer---Selected---Meter Max---..

I'll need to recalibrate the meter, it is still not quite accurate for low levels. And maybe use even more segments. I love meters with lots of segments. On the other hand, fewer segments are sometimes better, especially if each segment gradually lights up. The 'Meter All' message only gives on/off, so more segments make sense. Hm, after testing it again I remember why I left the lower levels indicate too much. If you have some tape hiss or hum on the track, this meter indicates it, while the Cubase meter remains flat. Therefore it is not an accurate replication of the Cubase level meter, but just a more sensitive meter in the lower signal range. I prefer that.

Tip: set your Global Meter Settings to 'Fast Release'.
Attachments
meterCubasePeak.jzlib
(19.77KiB)Downloaded 372 times

Phil999
Regular

Post by Phil999 » 01 Nov 2013 04:54

another tip, this time more important: in order to make the peak indicator work, you also have to set your Global Meter settings in the mixer to "Hold Peaks". Forgot about that myself and was scratching my head why the peak indicator was not working in my new rig. :P