Midikeyboards "Claviamat" and "Scalomat"

Post your Lemur Projects.
mat
Regular
Midikeyboards "Claviamat" and "Scalomat"

Post by mat » 02 Jan 2012 21:54

Dear Lemurians,

I just updated 2 of my Midikeyboards to Ipad resolution.

Claviamat:http://liine.net/en/community/user-library/view/25/
- 5 octave 12 tones Keyboard
- 3 modules (fullscreen, halfscreen, halfscreen with only 3 octaves for bigger pads)
- settings control midichannel and keyoctave
- fader for keyvelocity
- sustain function: sends delayed note off message indicated by pads glowing lights
- switch function: to switch notes on and off
- both functions combineable
- programm change

Scalomat: http://liine.net/en/community/user-library/view/85/
- ...has all functions like Claviamat...
- but it has only 7 instead of 12 tones each octave (which helps staying inside a scale and so never hot the wrong tone)
- set the mainscale (halftonesteps, 0=C, 1=C#,.....)
- the other notes are always relative to mainscale, set in halftonerows (2-4-5-7-9-11 will be major for instance)
- octaves are also free to choose
- sets can be saved (but do not switch during playback, cause playing notes can cause midihung)
- 2 additional tones (like fifth), always relative to the note you play can be added
(sounds more complicated than it is...its really a jamming device)

Both send on Miditarget 0

I also deleted 2 modules: Keyboard switch and Keyboard pads.
The reason for that is, that they were built in Lemur 1.0 and were broken (color). Also Claviamat contains the functions of both.

If you got any question or feedback, feel free to post it here.
Enjoy your Lemur!
mat
Lemur modules and sequencer: http://music-interface.com
Setup: Win7professional 32bit, Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2,66 GHz.,Tascam US-144MKII, Ableton Live 8.4,
Arturia Analog Lab., Max/Msp, Maxforlive, Lemur Legacy + Ipad, Akai MPK61, Doepfer Pocket Control

ruigato

Re: Midikeyboards "Claviamat" and "Scalomat"

Post by ruigato » 05 Jan 2012 03:06

great! love this ones, thanks!

kraftf
Regular

Post by kraftf » 05 Jan 2012 04:06

Very nice keyboards.
I've messed with the scalomat and changed the preset system to reflect only scale storing and I've stored 31 scales. If you want I could upload it back here. I also added midi functionality to define the semitones through incoming midi.
One problem that I have noticed is that when you use the sustain mode and define the note's length then if you hit one note more than once before the first note on gets a note off message you get hanged notes because only one note off is being sent. Do you think this can be fixed in anyway?

mat
Regular

Post by mat » 05 Jan 2012 21:56

Thanks, nice to see these modules are usefull for others too :D

@ kraftf
Wow, nice extensions! Can you send them to me via email? I will see if I can integrate them within a next update 8-)

About Midihung:
That is a potential problem based on the construction of the module. It uses 2 separate custom Midi functions to send note on and off. This way I managed the delayed note off message in sustain mode. So changing the pitch while a note is played will result in Midihung, cause note off is send to the new pitch while the old note hung out forever. I fixed that with an noteoff whenever pitch is changed (if I remember right.... programmed about 2 years ago). But that behavior you describe is new to me: Without changing pitch hitting the same note several times in sustain mode will cause Midihung?? Never experienced that. It should be more that all newer notes get also cutted by the first noteoff message. Hmmmm, have to test that during next weekend. Thanks for the feedback!

cheers*mat
Setup: Win7professional 32bit, Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2,66 GHz.,Tascam US-144MKII, Ableton Live 8.4,
Arturia Analog Lab., Max/Msp, Maxforlive, Lemur Legacy + Ipad, Akai MPK61, Doepfer Pocket Control

mat
Regular

Post by mat » 14 Jan 2012 12:50

@ all
I had some tests but could not reproduce kraftf´s Midihung bug. As long as you do not change pitch during a note is played, all notes get their noteoff message. However, changing a set (or pitchs manually) while a note is still played (sustain or switch mode) can cause midihung, so don´t do that. ;)

enjoy your lemur
mat

kraftf
Regular

Post by kraftf » 14 Jan 2012 21:04

Hey Mat,to be more specific, I am talking about the scalomat. Turn on the notelength switch and press the same note 2 consecutive times before the release time is over. The second note gets its note off after the release time is over and the first note is hung. If you press 3 same notes you get 2 hung notes and so on.
Tried to fix this but with no success yet.

mat
Regular

Post by mat » 16 Jan 2012 22:00

@kratft
hmmmm, still couldn´t reproduce this bug. Tested with different VSTs. Is that happen an all your synths?
Logically this bug would be weird anyway. For a special pitch there is only a special note on and note off. If you press the same note several time the new note on will cut the old note (like on a normal keyboard) and whenever a noteoff on that pitch comes (on Scalomat and Claviamat if the pad goes back to 0) it will end the (all?) notes on that pitch and channel. However, maybe some synths treat it different? But wouldn´t that lead to the same problem while triggering them with a standard keyboard? Have you tried this?
Weird...and sure - the bug you describe would make the sustain function unusable! So please keep me informed!
cheers*mat

kraftf
Regular

Post by kraftf » 19 Jan 2012 17:14

mat wrote:@kratft
hmmmm, still couldn´t reproduce this bug. Tested with different VSTs. Is that happen an all your synths?
Logically this bug would be weird anyway. For a special pitch there is only a special note on and note off. If you press the same note several time the new note on will cut the old note (like on a normal keyboard) and whenever a noteoff on that pitch comes (on Scalomat and Claviamat if the pad goes back to 0) it will end the (all?) notes on that pitch and channel. However, maybe some synths treat it different? But wouldn´t that lead to the same problem while triggering them with a standard keyboard? Have you tried this?
Weird...and sure - the bug you describe would make the sustain function unusable! So please keep me informed!
cheers*mat
Maybe with vstis this is the case. But most of my hardware stuff requires distinct note on and offs.consecutive note ons won't cut previous notes and not receiving a note off will make them hung. So yes it's a problem.

mat
Regular

Post by mat » 19 Jan 2012 18:25

Maybe with vstis this is the case. But most of my hardware stuff requires distinct note on and offs.consecutive note ons won't cut previous notes and not receiving a note off will make them hung. So yes it's a problem.
OK, wasn´t aware of that. I sold all my hardware about 3 years ago...so I could never test it with hardware.
Funny - the module is out for 2 years on original Lemur and no one ever informed me about that. Glad you do!

(I still do not get how the Midiprotocol can send a 2nd note on for same pitch and channel without overwriting the first one.... maybe there are some Midigeeks who can explain it to me... I mean, in every recording software there is only space for one note on same pitch and channel...how do Ableton or Cubase record that?....Don´t get me wrong kraftf - I believe you - I just want to understand how that bug can happen....)

Unfortunately I know no way to fix that. It has to be something like "count note triggers on same pitch", "send note off as much as counts"...phhh... no idea how to realize that. And as i could not test it, I can not fix it at all. :(
So, sorry, on hardware do not use sustain as it can cause midihung. Just learned something new :shock:

best*mat

kraftf
Regular

Post by kraftf » 20 Jan 2012 06:15

mat wrote:
OK, wasn´t aware of that. I sold all my hardware about 3 years ago...so I could never test it with hardware.
Funny - the module is out for 2 years on original Lemur and no one ever informed me about that. Glad you do!

(I still do not get how the Midiprotocol can send a 2nd note on for same pitch and channel without overwriting the first one.... maybe there are some Midigeeks who can explain it to me... I mean, in every recording software there is only space for one note on same pitch and channel...how do Ableton or Cubase record that?....Don´t get me wrong kraftf - I believe you - I just want to understand how that bug can happen....)

Unfortunately I know no way to fix that. It has to be something like "count note triggers on same pitch", "send note off as much as counts"...phhh... no idea how to realize that. And as i could not test it, I can not fix it at all. :(
So, sorry, on hardware do not use sustain as it can cause midihung. Just learned something new :shock:

best*mat
ABleton yes does the trick the way you've implied. Cubase I think leaves you the ability to have overlapping notes on the same pitch.
I have tried to fix this problem by using double note off mesages on conditions but no luck, I always had barriers blocking me.
You can actually test it if you you use a midi monitor and track the output of calviamat. :)