Problems with Mu 1.2 Templates

Post your Lemur Projects.
willsanquil
Problems with Mu 1.2 Templates

Post by willsanquil » 08 Dec 2011 21:02

Hi there,

I'm using the Mu 1.2 downloaded from Liine's website, and I'm having some issues with it.

I put the Mu max file onto my Master, I drop the Mu.jzml file into the loading area, and the template loads. Now, when i click the buttons to enable the alternate views of the sends, device parameters, etc - the clip launcher and scrolling bars and all of that main interface gets resized so its only taking up maybe 75% of the space that it was before. The buttons to resize the sliders are gone, and there is a lot of messy text all over the place - flipping open those additional views effectively breaks that Page.

If I load the Mu+Bookmarks_interface.jzml file I get a different set of problems. In the clip launcher page of this template, everything works - I can expand the device browser and returns and then collapse them and the clip launcher stays intact and does not break. However - this template is scaled for Legacy (if you open it in the editor, you see the dropdown is set to Legacy) - which I don't understand...why would it be scaled to Legacy when this is the iPad collection of Lemur templates???

OK, so I try the third template - Mu+bookmarks_interface_ipad.jzml - and this has the same problem as the first Mu.jzml file - except that it has the additional problem of not being scaled well - just a little bit too large - so there are horizontal and vertical scroll bars in order to be able to see all the buttons on the screen.

Ok, so I try the fourth template - Mu+custom_interface. This one has the problem of it being scaled too small, and expanding the alternate view options breaks the page.

What's the deal? These seem really sloppy.

willsanquil

Re: Problems with Mu 1.2 Templates

Post by willsanquil » 09 Dec 2011 02:47

I'm having another issue - I'm trying to integrate some of the Mu Devices into my Lemur Editor and I'm having trouble getting all the parameters to work properly.

For instance, I want a Ping Pong Delay on a send channel. So I insert the ping pong device, and then go into the Mu Resources, find the Ping Pong Delay folder, and drop the Pingpong.jzlib file into my Lemur Editor. Yay! I get the devices Mu version. I go ahead and start mapping the power button, freeze, feedback, dry/wet etc and it all works out fine except for the DelayTime - the 1/2/3/4/5/6/8/16 yellow buttons.

I can get the DelayTime buttons on the iPad to change the yellow boxes in Ableton - but they don't match up. For instance, if I have the DelayTime object in the Lemur Editor set to Control Change, then enable MIDI mode in Ableton, then click on the DelayTimes in Ableton and then hit a button on the iPad it will assign the MIDI note...but when I press 8 it'll actually enable 1, or 2 - it basically seems confused. When I put in a controller number for the DelayTime object it automatically puts in the other 7 numbers that it needs...

What do I do?

Macciza
Regular

Post by Macciza » 09 Dec 2011 03:20

High
You have to remember that Mu really relies on M4L to achieve what it does, and the modules usually talk OSC not MIDI . . .
Basically the Mu modules are not totally independent creatures like most of the others modules
Without having too much of a look I would say there is some backend logic being done by Max here.
So you may have to program some scripts to spit out the values you want if not using M4L to process the info . . .

Cheers
MM
iMac 2.8G i7 12G 10.6.8/10.7.2, Legacy Dexter/Lemur, Liine Lemur/iPad2, KMI SoftStep, 12Step & QuNeo , B-Controls, Mackie C4 etc
MaxMSP, Live Suite, Native Instrument stuff, etc Modified Virtual Guitar System etc All Projects/Modules © CC-BY-NC-SA[*][/b]

willsanquil

Post by willsanquil » 09 Dec 2011 05:31

Max4Live doesn't deal with the sizing/scaling...

It's not like I'm doing some crazy modification - I'm just downloading the templates and out of the box they are buggy and don't work!

Any of my own pages that I make work fine...just the main Mu itself is screwy.

Oddly enough - before I downloaded Mu 1.2 from Liine I downloaded all the previous incarnations of Mu from the JazzMutant site...and they work fine! they don't break - although they are scaled smaller because they were made for the original Lemur!

Macciza
Regular

Post by Macciza » 09 Dec 2011 06:00

High
I'm not talking about the project scaling - My comments were directed to your second post where you are using Mu modules separately to Mu . . .
You cannot expect them to just work because they really leverage M4L and OSC - that is why you are having problems doing what you are doing . . .
Re: the DelayTime parameter - the associated Max patch processes the data coming from the DelayTime switch array on the Lemur
Yes there may be a few issues with Mu 1.2 but the main thing re PingPong Delay module problem is the way you are trying to use it . . .
If you really want it as a separate module unrelated to Mu you will need to edit it somewhat . . .
Cheers
MM
iMac 2.8G i7 12G 10.6.8/10.7.2, Legacy Dexter/Lemur, Liine Lemur/iPad2, KMI SoftStep, 12Step & QuNeo , B-Controls, Mackie C4 etc
MaxMSP, Live Suite, Native Instrument stuff, etc Modified Virtual Guitar System etc All Projects/Modules © CC-BY-NC-SA[*][/b]

willsanquil

Post by willsanquil » 09 Dec 2011 09:03

Ahh OK, I totally get what you mean now -thanks for explaining. Mu devices are meant to be access from *within the device browser in mu* - not made for dropping into a new Interface by themselves.

So, navigating to the different devices from within Mu would be great - if it worked....

I loaded a bunch of different devices through Mu, like the Filter Delay, Ping Pong Delay, Grain Delay, Erosion etc

I would love to use Mu, but in its current incarnation I'm probably going to be relying on my APC40 for clip launching and just make a bunch of Interface pages for my VSTs/sends/etc and use MIDI.

Would be nice to use OSC and Mu...