Updating Monemur for iPad and midi

Post your Lemur Projects.
phase_change
Regular
Updating Monemur for iPad and midi

Post by phase_change » 24 Aug 2015 09:29

Hey all,

I've been struggling with Monemur for a while now. I don't like using Lemur wirelessly to connect to Monome apps. I am unwilling to jailbreak my tablet and like using LiveControl2, so I am designing my own Monome emulator template and Max patch that will communicate over midi. I have made a Max patch that allows the pads object's midi messages to be used with Monome apps. I have been successfully able to use this with Pages and Mlrv via Pages. I have also updated the Monemur template for iPad resolution. Once I finish programming the led, led_row, and led_col data, the patch will be done. I don't think I will post my template in the user library out of respect to the developers of Monemur, but, other than reusing the scripts for setting the grid size, menus, and leds, this project is original. If you're interested in contributing or would just like the patch and template, you can DM me.

PC
Last edited by phase_change on 15 Nov 2015 08:20, edited 3 times in total.
Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Macciza
Regular

Re: Updating Monemur for iPad and midi

Post by Macciza » 25 Aug 2015 01:48

High
I wouldn't worry too much Monemur has pretty much always been open source ...
I did some development on it for Liine lemur use from the original hardware version ...

So you may as well just post it here or to the library ....
Cheers
MM

Also if you have a cellular device, iPhone or iPad, it is possible to get hard wired connection ...
iMac 2.8G i7 12G 10.6.8/10.7.2, Legacy Dexter/Lemur, Liine Lemur/iPad2, KMI SoftStep, 12Step & QuNeo , B-Controls, Mackie C4 etc
MaxMSP, Live Suite, Native Instrument stuff, etc Modified Virtual Guitar System etc All Projects/Modules © CC-BY-NC-SA[*][/b]

phase_change
Regular

Post by phase_change » 25 Aug 2015 08:40

Thank you for letting me know, I will definitely post when I am done. I use an iPad that does not support mobile data. I'm a student and live on a musician's income you could say, so could not afford it :D .

PC

phase_change
Regular

Post by phase_change » 11 Nov 2015 19:07

Just wanted to update here since I haven't been active in a while. I haven't given up on this; I've just had a lot come up in my life over the last few months and haven't been able to work on finishing the patch. I've got the led data working now, but have run into a problem with feedback from the notes. Without the led data working, everything runs smoothly. When the led data is working, the input gets wonky. I have a couple of thoughts about how to fix this and am going to start trying them out. Hopefully won't be long now.

phase_change
Regular

Post by phase_change » 15 Nov 2015 00:04

Leds are working now. I ended up re-using the functions from Monemur and changing the OSC_ARGS to MIDI_ARGS with a little bit of math. There are a couple of things I want to do before I share my work. Will post soon. :)

phase_change
Regular

Post by phase_change » 15 Nov 2015 06:53

Alright, here's what will probably be the first of a number of iterations of this. The template is Monemur in iPad resolution. The .zip file is a Max patch and template that will let you use MIDI instead of OSC. The only benefit of this is if you want to use some kind of MIDI interface like iConnectMIDI2+

Couple of thoughts: First I'd like to say this has been a humbling project and I feel like a total noob after completing it, but maybe less of a noob than when I started. I've never owned a Monome and my only experience of using mlrv is with an APC40, so learning the protocols etc. used alone has been pretty challenging for me.

I've stripped down Monemur quite a bit here. I've gotten rid of the options button and associated features. This will only work for a 128 grid right now. The Max patch also only handles led data for now. The main reason I left it this way is because I plan to use it with Pages and as far as I could tell Pages doesn't use led_col or led_row, but it would not be hard or time consuming to change the patch to handle this data.

One of the challenges I ran into while trying to remain faithful to Monemur's design is with the 16x16 grid. There are only 128 NoteOn MIDI messages, so this would require using two pads objects and sending them out on different channels or using NoteOff messages on one of the pads and then using Max to handle that. I'm not particularly motivated to do this any time soon because my fingers are too big to press two adjacent squares at the same time with the pads object set to 16x16 so I probably would never use it. I more than likely will get around to adding the option for an 8x8 grid soon.

One last note: All of the buttons seem to work except for MIDI note 127. The lights get glitchy when I press this. If anyone has any idea why, please let me know so I can fix it. All other feedback is welcome.
Attachments
monemur_v301_iPad.jzml
(26.91KiB)Downloaded 437 times
Monome_Emulator.zip
(3.83KiB)Downloaded 433 times

phase_change
Regular

Post by phase_change » 30 May 2016 01:20

I am using this post to manage updates to the project. The attached file will always be the most current. This is the one you want to download.

Update 05.29.2016: Added a GUI to the max patch that allows a user to select midi in and midi out, change default ports (8000/8080), and enter monome prefix.

Update 09.06.2016: Fixed the Led script in Grid.jzml. Added a .txt file that I hope will help you get started. Consolidated all of my work into one .zip file.

Update 09.09.2016: Fixed a bug in the Max patch related to changing the prefix. Default ports are now shown in the GUI when the patch loads.

Meditation on the future of this project: After much consideration, I've decided this project bears little resemblance to Monemur. The template is not a facsimile and I have no intention of ever making it be a facsimile. Monemur is very cool and has been a tremendous help to me while developing this, but I think labeling this "Monemur" is going to be a source of confusion for some people. From this point forward, this will be a fork of Monemur called "Grid." I expect that there will be somewhere between 3-5 updates in the future before the project is completed. Once the project is completed I will upload my work to the User Library. I will be releasing a video on how to set everything up soon.
Attachments
Grid0.1.zip
(6.38KiB)Downloaded 260 times