Traxus Control Traktor: Free Download, non obfuscated code

Post your Lemur Projects.
Traxus
Regular
Traxus Control Traktor: Free Download, non obfuscated code

Post by Traxus » 28 Sep 2014 01:12

First and foremost, I have released the non-obfuscated template as Free Software on my website here. The only stipulation is that you must acquire permission prior to any form of redistribution:

http://traxusinteractive.com/downloads/index.php

see it in action here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpOJ_Cg ... XOUB50tZbg

What I think is more important and relevant to many of us however, is how I went about releasing it.

The notion of template monetization has been discussed, at grueling and somewhat violent length in the past; for that reason I opted to withhold the following link from this forum for some time. Without saying further, lest we salt any wounds, I think it is a fair time to announce that I have come across a healthier method of monetizing templates:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/trax ... /x/8576930

I opted to crowd fund the release of Traxus Control Traktor as Free Software as to overcome many of the hurdles otherwise associated with getting a little kickback for an intensely detailed interface such as Traxus Control: Traktor. First and foremost, there comes a point when the time put into a template is so great that there is no reasonable price you can ask an individual customer to pay whilst hoping to break even in regards to an hourly wage. Either the price becomes prohibitively expensive and very few people pony up for it or the market is too small and the gross income falls way short.

Beyond that, the developer is suddenly stuck hoping one of the customers doesn’t start handing out the .jzml for free, whilst also keeping a list of contacts and pushing critical updates to all of them. Furthermore, the developer assumes (or at least should assume) the total burden of support cases that arise as it is a bit exploitative to allow the community to handle anything beyond basic software setup. Long story short, per license distribution sucks. The .jzml format is no good for it and at the end of the day you’re stuck trying to hide your code from just about everyone with an obligation to keep it working.

Having dealt with all of that in the past, I was looking for a different approach and settled on a crowd funding campaign. I’m due for a new iPad (working on gen 2 atm) and thanks to a couple of blog write-ups there seemed to be a decent amount of interest in the template. I decided I wouldn’t want anyone to have to pay more than $10 a copy for it even if I were to do a single license distribution scheme (though I settled on 12 to compensate for the online payment processors cuts). A new iPad air runs $500 - $600 at its minimum specs so I chose that as a goal and let it fly. I hit the goal in about 2 weeks and have seen nearly 50 contributions from 13 countries over 5 continents (quite a diverse crowd we’ve got)… Long story short, the template is free, the code is open, and I’ll have a new iPad in the mail shortly.

Joe Soap
Regular

Re: Traxus Control Traktor: Free Download, non obfuscated co

Post by Joe Soap » 28 Sep 2014 05:03

Fair fux man, well done. 'nuff sed!

Traxus
Regular

Post by Traxus » 21 Oct 2014 02:04

Updated version, with bug fixes and setup guide now avalible (same link as above):

http://traxusinteractive.com/downloads/ ... /index.php

ndivuyo
Regular

Post by ndivuyo » 21 Oct 2014 06:09

That is a good idea. I'll have to remember your template if I ever start using Traktor (was thinking about trying it out for my DJ sets).

midimockup

Post by midimockup » 28 Oct 2014 14:56

Neat idea! Slightly off topic but I'd be interested to hear if your frame rate improves with the new iPad. I'm also currently running on Gen2.
Thanks!

Joe Soap
Regular

Post by Joe Soap » 28 Oct 2014 15:17

What's the framerate like on an iPad2 ?

midimockup

Post by midimockup » 28 Oct 2014 15:44

Well...if I have only a single fader on screen I get around 59fps. I am pretty sure Lemur is fixed at 60 FPS, which needs to be increased, in my opinion.

Frame rate seems dependent on the number of objects on screen, the type of objects (Knobs kill frame rate; MultiSliders are more efficient than Faders), and the number of On Frame Scripts.

With a pretty typical, basic Lemur project (10 or so sliders, a couple monitors, some text, and a few buttons) the frame rate drops rapidly to around 45. Anything under 40 FPS is pretty unusable, imho...

The MIDI coming out of my hardware controller (AKAI MPK88) gets almost double that. I tested this totally non-scientifically by simultaneously recording similar fader moves using Lemur and the AKAI and just visually comparing how stepped the data was coming into Cubase 7.5.

P.S. I'm using Nicolas's outstanding FPS Tracker to monitor this https://liine.net/en/community/user-library/view/369/

Joe Soap
Regular

Post by Joe Soap » 28 Oct 2014 16:39

Eh, I think you (or I) misunderstood - I'm aware of the general framerate numbers . . . I was specifically asking about framerate on an iPad2 with 'Traxus Control Traktor' template.

I assumed because you posted in the thread specific to this template that your enquiry was also specific to this template.

I'd download and test it myself, but since I may want to build and release a Traktor template myself I can't really even so much as look at the code. I am interested in the framerate perf though, hence the question.