GOLuM

Post your Lemur Projects.
Mr Bit
GOLuM

Post by Mr Bit » 13 May 2014 08:25

GOLuM creates Conway’s game of life on your Liine Lemur using the new HTML5 Canvas object.It demonstrates Lemur scripting techniques that overcome some of the limitations of the Lemur scripting environment.

http://youtu.be/W6bGxr0kMCA

This ended up being a tough project for me, which is good I learned allot about the lemur here are some of the problems encountered:

Maximum number of entries in an array is set to 256.
Multidimensional arrays not supported.
No provision for frame overrun does not preempt out.
Problems with data typing.
Lack of bitwise NOT.
Limited string handling.
No file based presets.

The Lemur script arrays have a limit of 256 items per array. To manipulate the GOLuM world of 1024 (32*32) cells bitwise operators were used to crush 1024 values into a 32 item array. The next challenge to overcome was processing the data which took longer than the lemur frame time allowed. A dynamic task slicer was implemented to split the processing over as many frames as was needed to complete the task. There was still more work to do, the preset data was being truncated on project reload, to stop this happening our 32bit data had to be reduced to 16bit for saving.

Hope this project helps somebody.

Have fun!
Bit

Softcore
Regular

Re: GOLuM

Post by Softcore » 13 May 2014 09:35

Very interesting and I have already downloaded it....but Im not exactly sure how it is supposed to be used....meaning what are the cells actually doing? Sending midi somewhere or....?

Mr Bit

Post by Mr Bit » 13 May 2014 10:08

Softcore wrote:Very interesting and I have already downloaded it....but Im not exactly sure how it is supposed to be used....meaning what are the cells actually doing? Sending midi somewhere or....?
It could send midi notes. This is a reincarnation of a project I started on the original Lemur that did indeed send notes and CC data. For the moment its just for amusement and to demonstrate how to process grids using bitwise operators.

I will add statistics linked to CC and some sort of note generation to GOLuM soon, in the meantime I put the legacy project in the user library.

https://liine.net/en/community/user-library/view/483/

Have to admit its a very messy project I had never coded before total noob, also have forgotten how to set it up.... The LEDs are note or CC they can be turned on by activating the Note or CC overlay (Notes>presss to edit), I'll have to get back to you if you need more explanation, busy atm.

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 15 May 2014 10:11

Ok, thanks for the clarification!