Mackie Control C4 - Template for Sonar

Post your Lemur Projects.
Softcore
Regular
Re: Mackie Control C4 - Template for Sonar

Post by Softcore » 13 Feb 2014 13:20

Dude, we are with absolutely the same mentality here....Do whatever the hell you want with LeMackie! ;)

Feedback about the template coming your way soon-ish!

Phil999
Regular

Post by Phil999 » 13 Feb 2014 17:50

Logic: the Assignment buttons don't work. These buttons let you select (together with a push on an encoder) the plugin you want to control. Therefore I'm not even able to do this and plugin parameters cannot be edited. Actually, the top two Assignment buttons (Marker, Track) work, only the lower two (Chan Strip, Function), the most important ones, do not work. That's strange, I have no explanation for this until now.
The split buttons I didn't try, because I never use them on the hardware, I don't even know how to use them.

Reason: template works out of the box. Almost. Again the Chan Strip and Function buttons do not work. In Reason they have transport functions, Stop and Play. Interestingly, when I hit the spacebar for transport control, the said buttons light up accordingly. So the note numbers are correct, Reason sends the info back to the C4.
Other buttons like Track Left/Right, Slot Up/Down, Bank/Single Left/Right, are working as expected.

Now I've hooked up both the hardware and the template, and in a MIDI analyser I can see differences what those two buttons (Chan Strip, Function) are sending. The hardware is sending note-on vel 0 (push) and note-on vel 127 (release), the template is sending both commands upon release. But only on the lower two Assignment buttons, the top ones send the same as the hardware.

Now I see the reason: the lower two buttons have a custom MIDI output, the top ones not. I disabled them and enabled x, now it is working in Logic. Still not quite seeing trough, I think I send the post now and add further findings later. What I can say: it's beautiful. Nice virtual encoders, they alone are something.

Edits: the Modifier buttons are note numbers 13-16. Tested in Reason, working.
Last edited by Phil999 on 13 Feb 2014 19:16, edited 1 time in total.
Formant+Eurorack, PPG wave 2.2, Korg MS-20, etc., EWI 4000s, QuNeo, etc., Mixbus32c, u-he, MadronaLabs, Samplemodeling, NI, etc., iPad2/4/Pro

RagsInRags

Post by RagsInRags » 13 Feb 2014 18:30

Thanks Phil,

I did not have that insight about the track button together with the push on the encoder. Let me see if I can get that function working on sonar. Meanwhile, the reason I had made custom midi for ChanStrip and Function was that if I made them pads, they would turn on OK. But they then needed to be pressed 2-times to get it to turn on again. This was because Sonar was also sending the same note to indicate the function was on and it was messing with the button state.

For controlling plugins, I thought the only way was to keep "Track" pressed. the display changes. Then select "Plugin" (12th encoder) from there to be displayed on the tracks. I managed to get the plugin data displayed using that route.

Let me know any other updates. Meanwhile, I will try to get the Track+pots working on Sonar.

Edit - the problem also may be with the encoder push message. in the current state, it just resets the value being controlled.
Korg Triton Studio, Sonar X3, Doepfer R2M Ribbon

Phil999
Regular

Post by Phil999 » 13 Feb 2014 19:32

RagsInRags wrote: For controlling plugins, I thought the only way was to keep "Track" pressed. the display changes. Then select "Plugin" (12th encoder) from there to be displayed on the tracks. I managed to get the plugin data displayed using that route.
in Logic, one has to hold the Chan Strip button, and select either 'Plugin Mixer' for insert effects or 'Instrument Mixer' for virtual instruments. It's working fine with the few changes I applied to the template.

Edit: just checked with the hardware. It's not quite true what I said, what you said is true. The template behaves differently. I'll have a closer look at it.
RagsInRags wrote:the problem also may be with the encoder push message. in the current state, it just resets the value being controlled.
I think they're alright. Encoder push does indeed reset values when controlling a plugin in Logic and Reason and possibly other DAW's.

And I understand the custom MIDI, sometimes the buttons do not reflect the current state correctly. This can be problematic sometimes. But I'm sure we find a solution, with Lemur there's always one.
Attachments
Mackie Control C4 - for Sonar V1.02.zip
Chan Strip + Function buttons: custom script deactivated, Modifiers buttons: note values changed. Working perfectly in Logic and Reason as far as I can see.
(63.33KiB)Downloaded 135 times
Formant+Eurorack, PPG wave 2.2, Korg MS-20, etc., EWI 4000s, QuNeo, etc., Mixbus32c, u-he, MadronaLabs, Samplemodeling, NI, etc., iPad2/4/Pro

RagsInRags

Post by RagsInRags » 13 Feb 2014 23:15

Great stuff Phil. I downloaded your changes. In Sonar, it works. but it has a glitch.

- start with Chan Strip on (when connected for first time)
- Click Chan Strip once. Light goes off. But nothing happens to displays.
- Click Chan Strip again. Display changes. Sonar responds with a note off and turns the swtich back off.

So it requires 1 click to get into Chan Strip mode and 2 Clicks to get out of it. There may be one of possible 2 solutions:

1. Send only Note On message (no note off). Sonar responds with a corresponding note on (for chan strip on) and note off (for chan strip off)
2. Make the button independant of the midi and have an LED display the chan strip status.

I'll give it a think over the weekend and possibly upload an update if I fins a better approach :)

Phil999
Regular

Post by Phil999 » 14 Feb 2014 09:28

button states can be tricky. The same problem with the AlphaTrack emulation (where I also used custom MIDI), but I don't exactly remember which method worked best. Having the LED indicator and the button (not showing any state) separated is probably the best method, although at first it does not make sense because both send/receive the same note value.

Note-on vel 0 is not the same as note-off, and in the C4 hardware I never observed a note-off message. Only note-on with velocity 0 or 127. I was too lazy to get to the ground with these buttons in the AlphaTrack emulation, so I still don't know for sure how it's done. Maybe I should have a look at some MCU templates, how it is done there.

RagsInRags

Post by RagsInRags » 14 Feb 2014 14:24

Note-on vel 0 is not the same as note-off, and in the C4 hardware I never observed a note-off message. Only note-on with velocity 0 or 127.
Sorry - my bad. Yes I meant Note On with Vel 0 when I was refering to Note OFF. I will also change the document to reflect that :oops: .

I have added LEDs to indicate status of ChanStrip and Track. Sonar never reacts to a Note On Vel 0. It however toggles its state when I send a Note on Vel 7F. So in this version, I am sending only a Note On Vel 7F. Depending on the response from Sonar, the LED status is changed.

Let me know if this works in Logic / Reason. And thank you for doing the tests for me. If this gets sorted, the template can work for a wider set of DAWs !

Once you confirm, I'll upload the new version to the forum.
Attachments
Mackie Control C4 - for Sonar V1.03.zip
Added ChanStrip/Function LEDs
(65.63KiB)Downloaded 150 times

Phil999
Regular

Post by Phil999 » 14 Feb 2014 14:58

will test this tonight. I think status LED's are best. Not entirely sure. Also, to repeat, the hardware is sending note-on vel 0 (push encoder) and note-on vel 7F (release encoder). May be relevant for one DAW, and may not be relevant for another. And I probably forgot to say v.1.02, the one I modified, does not exactly work as the hardware. I first thought it did, and had to correct my post later.

I have a feeling we will get the right button commands soon. It looks rather trivial actually. I feared to break my C4-Logic-setup, which happened more than once and added to my reluctance to make any changes to my C4 setup. But it's simpler than I thought. I just have to exchange the MIDI ports in Logic C4 setup to switch between Lemur and hardware. And I just need to switch off the hardware after changing the ports to Lemur, otherwise I get a mess with two non-functional C4's inside Logic.

Edit: hm, this again is not correct. The hardware is sending note-on vel 7F on push, and vel 0 on release. But I swear it was the other way round yesterday.

Another thing: I think I know now why the buttons sometimes have to be pushed twice when the connection is made with x. When the DAW sends info back to the LED, sometimes the button catches that note earlier than the LED, and is lit (x=1). Then one has to push the button first to set x to 0, and the next push does what one wants. So the solution is to make the buttons only send, and not receive. You probably knew that already, that's why you have MIDI out scripts.

RagsInRags

Post by RagsInRags » 14 Feb 2014 19:11

:D
Edit: hm, this again is not correct. The hardware is sending note-on vel 7F on push, and vel 0 on release. But I swear it was the other way round yesterday.
Yes.. watching numbers for a long time can do that sometimes ;)
So the solution is to make the buttons only send, and not receive.
Yes. I figured that the buttons and the LED's both react to the incoming messages. So in v1.03, I have made the buttons independent of incoming ones. It only send out midi messages. Now what remains to be seen is if Logic needs a vel 7F to switch on and vel 0 to switch off. Sonar seems to require 7F for both.

I'll wait for you to test it out :)

Phil999
Regular

Post by Phil999 » 14 Feb 2014 20:18

I have tested a further version of v.1.02, but it is probably the same. Only sending MIDI using two separate scripts. One for velocity 127 when x goes to positive, one for velocity 0 when x goes to zero. And voilà, it works as the hardware in Logic. Well, almost. There are a few differences:

- the scribble strips (the bottom line) does not always show.
- the first letter of the top line is sometimes missing.
- Assignment buttons need to be pressed for a short moment. Very short presses are not registered by Logic.
- the double-click is working, but sometimes I doubt the called functions in Logic are always correct. Maybe one has to do the same thing with the buttons, press, tiny pause, then release.
- split: not sure if it's working correctly. Split 1/3 LED lights up after having pressed 'Split', but now I can't change that anymore. I need first to find out how it works, on the hardware, then compare with Lemur.

But generally it's working, one can navigate through a project (only with the additional help of arrow keys to change the current channel), select this effect or that softsynth, step through parameter pages, etc. Only sometimes one has to know which encoder to double-click, because the second text line is missing some info.

The display is very nicely done. I'm far from understanding how it works. Just some clever code, and not even much at all.

I tried v.1.03, and it's working as well, but it's different. I don't have to hold the Chan Strip button while selecting an encoder to push, I can do one after the other now. Maybe even a better workflow like this? I'll test more. Still have this #@*% split on, can't switch it off, even after restarting Logic and Lemur.
Attachments
Mackie Control C4 - for Logic V1.02p.zip
(64.43KiB)Downloaded 136 times