Mackie Control C4 - Template for Sonar

Post your Lemur Projects.
RagsInRags
Re: Mackie Control C4 - Template for Sonar

Post by RagsInRags » 14 Feb 2014 20:42

Does the split seem stuck? It cycles through 1/3, 2/2, 3/1 and then back. What I understood of the split is that it well... "splits" the display into 2 parts (upper and lower). That in conjunction with the lock buttons and Select Lower button help you possibly look at plug-in info on the top while being able to simultaeneously look at track params (vol, pan, etc) at the bottom.

The way I tested the split was to have around 24 tracks in the project. I first put C4 in "All Tracks" mode (out of Chan Strip). Now the display shows me track 1 - track 24. Then I press the split. The display 1 now shows track 1-8, Display 2 shows 1-8, display 3 shows 9-16, and display 4 shows 17-24. clicking split again puts it in 2/2 mode with upper 2 displays showing tracks 1-16 and lower 2 displays also showing 1-16. Now I "Select Lower". Then press ChanStrip. This puts the lower 2 displays in Chanstrip mode while the upper displays are still in track mode.

Hope this helps you get started with understanding the split function.
Assignment buttons need to be pressed for a short moment. Very short presses are not registered by Logic
Yes. This is something I have also noticed. That is possibly because I "was" sending a note on (vel 7F) and a note on (Vel 0) in quick succession. The 1.03 template is only sending 7F. That may be the reason you dont have to hold the ChanStrip button.

Display part is actually very easy (once you understand it). You have 55 chars to display. You get a start character and a length of the string. You just need to figure out which of the 55 chars you have to replace when you get the message :). So if you get start as 0 and length as 7, it means you have to replace chars 0-6 on the display.

**Edit - Just tested your ver 1.02p. For btnChanStrip and btnFunction, remove the "On Target". Make it Object Target = None. That will slove the problem of having to keep the button depressed for some time. I also checked the code changes made to btnSplit. You need to keep the updateSplitState function. That is what reacts to returning messages from the DAW and changes the state of the C4.
Korg Triton Studio, Sonar X3, Doepfer R2M Ribbon

Phil999
Regular

Post by Phil999 » 14 Feb 2014 21:42

with Reason it's also interesting to watch how a quickly pressed (and released) button leaves it at x=1. When one presses the button slowly, x goes back to 0 as it should. But that's all, the rest seems to work alright.

Another note: not all encoder button presses are mapped in Reason. They vary from plugin to plugin, as the encoder themselves. This is normal, just for you people to know or remember.
Attachments
Mackie Control C4 - for Reason V1.02b.zip
(64.55KiB)Downloaded 171 times
Last edited by Phil999 on 14 Feb 2014 21:50, edited 1 time in total.
Formant+Eurorack, PPG wave 2.2, Korg MS-20, etc., EWI 4000s, QuNeo, etc., Mixbus32c, u-he, MadronaLabs, Samplemodeling, NI, etc., iPad2/4/Pro

Phil999
Regular

Post by Phil999 » 14 Feb 2014 21:48

RagsInRags wrote:You need to keep the updateSplitState function. That is what reacts to returning messages from the DAW and changes the state of the C4.
ah I see. Until version h or so I kept all scripts, deactivated. Later I deleted them, and this one was one too much it appears. One should always know what to delete. I even deleted the commonFN container, thinking it's only text. Of course I had to bring it in again, otherwise the scribble strips won't work.

Thanks for your tips. Very instructive.
Display part is actually very easy (once you understand it). You have 55 chars to display. You get a start character and a length of the string. You just need to figure out which of the 55 chars you have to replace when you get the message :). So if you get start as 0 and length as 7, it means you have to replace chars 0-6 on the display.
good to know. The principle I understood with the AlphaTrack/TranzPort templates, but doing it myself was still difficult. Eventually I will do it, good to have another example. :D I'm also a happy man. Nice full moon session with lots of new things learned.
Formant+Eurorack, PPG wave 2.2, Korg MS-20, etc., EWI 4000s, QuNeo, etc., Mixbus32c, u-he, MadronaLabs, Samplemodeling, NI, etc., iPad2/4/Pro

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 16 Feb 2014 22:16

Hello guys - been terribly busy with personal health issues so I havent followed the discussion nor tried the template....

About the pad-switch buttons not working as desired though (or rather, not displaing their "status")...here's how I had dealt with it with my LeMackie template - perhaps it can help...If Im off topic, sorry didnt have the time to read all the posts but I wanted to lend a helping hand...

https://forum.liine.net/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2967

beatpete
Regular

Post by beatpete » 19 Feb 2014 00:03

Not to Hijack this thread, but would it be possible to use one row of these encoders to work with a mackie control template? I use my own version for Cubase 7 (and RME Totalmix) but I can't get the panners to work properly.

Phil999
Regular

Post by Phil999 » 19 Feb 2014 00:23

shuffling encoders or rows of encoders (actually only their CC numbers) is one thing where Lemur could expand the static C4 protocol. But regarding pan pots in Cubase, you can use the MCU protocol, or the Generic Remote. The C4 does pan for the selected channel only, therefore not what you're looking for.

beatpete
Regular

Post by beatpete » 19 Feb 2014 18:23

Phil999 wrote:shuffling encoders or rows of encoders (actually only their CC numbers) is one thing where Lemur could expand the static C4 protocol. But regarding pan pots in Cubase, you can use the MCU protocol, or the Generic Remote. The C4 does pan for the selected channel only, therefore not what you're looking for.
Thanks, I have pan setup with a generic remote in Cubase but with Totalmix, pan is only accessible via Mackie Control and I have yet to find a encoders (or program myself) that work properly for pan. I know the MC protocol for encoders is kind of weird...

Phil999
Regular

Post by Phil999 » 19 Feb 2014 19:31

I thought TotalMix can be controlled also with MIDI and OSC?

RagsInRags

Post by RagsInRags » 20 Feb 2014 14:22

Apologies - have been missing from this thread for the past week. Had a personal matter to attend to over the weekend and then my day job was having of of "those" weeks :)

@Softcore - I checked out the SwitchPad code. I have done something similar to that. But what is confusing / stopping me is the way the protocol is implemented. Sonar toggles its state for ChanStrip and Function every time it receives a Note-On vel 7F. Sonar responds with Note-On vel 7F if it is switching on or with a Note-On vel 00 if it is swithing off. But from what Phil has observed, his setup requires an explicit (or C4 sends an explicit) note-on vel 7F for switching on and a note-on vel 00 for switching off. I am still trying to figure out how I can make the template generic to address Sonar and the other DAWs.

@beatpete - If you have an MCU template, you should be able to augment that with the C4 template. I am attaching a WIP of how the MCU template from Softcore combines with the C4 template. You will still need to set them up as 2 separate control surfaces in your DAW (like the real world) and they will communicate on different MIDI targets with Lemur. So in the attached template, MCU communicates over MIDI 0 and C4 communicates over MIDI 1. Let me know if that is what you want to do - use MCU for track control and have C4 to control specific plug-in / track parameters.
Attachments
MCU+C4 Template_v003 - WIP.zip
(88.51KiB)Downloaded 190 times
Korg Triton Studio, Sonar X3, Doepfer R2M Ribbon

beatpete
Regular

Post by beatpete » 21 Feb 2014 22:22

Phil999 wrote:I thought TotalMix can be controlled also with MIDI and OSC?
I beleive Totalmix FX can be controlled via OSC but not the original Totalmix (which I have). A few parameters are controllable by midi notes and ccs but not panning, it's only available via MC.