Full Mackie Control Template

Post your Lemur Projects.
beatpete
Regular
Full Mackie Control Template

Post by beatpete » 27 Sep 2013 19:13

Has anyone created a complete Mackie Control Template? I'm looking to control plugins/EQs in Cubase with it.

Phil999
Regular

Re: Full Mackie Control Template

Post by Phil999 » 27 Sep 2013 20:49

EQ and plugin control in Cubase appears to me a bit difficult with any controller. Even with a MCU you have 8 encoders that has alphabetically sorted parameters for inserts, that can be stepped to the next 8 parameters. That's not very usable in my opinion, especially if there aren't any parameter labels visible. With my MCU hardware emulation (QCon iCon) I hardly ever use the insert or EQ mode.

There is a very well crafted commercial Cubase template (which I don't know). Other than that, I created two different templates for Cubase with quite good plugin control, but both are designed for my personal setup in Cubase, for specific plugins I use. The first one is 'hard-wired' so to speak, while the second one is more open, making it possible to adapt only the Lemur template using the same Generic Remote Device xml.

There is also a Mackie HUI emulation for the iPad (V-Control) that I use quite often. It lets you control any plugin graphically (single-touch only, no multitouch).

Edit: I forgot the Steinberg modular hardware controllers. They may be a rather good solution, albeit I don't have experience with them.
Formant+Eurorack, PPG wave 2.2, Korg MS-20, etc., EWI 4000s, QuNeo, etc., Mixbus32c, u-he, MadronaLabs, Samplemodeling, NI, etc., iPad2/4/Pro

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 27 Sep 2013 22:23

There are all sorts of Mackie emulations for nearly all DAWs in the user library. You can also click on my signature to find one for Cakewalk's Sonar - I actually built it by taking bits and parts from already made Mackie emulations for other DAWs found in the user library. Actually there's a lot of stuff to serve you as agreat starting point -just search abit! ;)

Edit to add: gotta say though, I agree with Phill, the protocol in itself, isnt exactly intuitive to use for plug ins.

beatpete
Regular

Post by beatpete » 30 Sep 2013 18:07

Thanks, but Cubase 7 incorporates a new "Remote Control Editor" that utilizes the "insert" part of the MCU protocol. So I was looking for a template that uses the "insert" page.

Phil999
Regular

Post by Phil999 » 30 Sep 2013 18:51

well that could be interesting. Are these parameters in alphabetical order, or does this new editor allow custom mappings? I have Cubase 5.5.3, so I can't check it out. I installed the demo of v.7 some time ago, but missed the chance to investigate that; actually, I wasn't aware of it.

Edit: I just downloaded the manual for v.7, and it seems to me that this Remote Control Editor is to be used inside Cubase. And it has - again, as far as I can see - nothing to do with the MCU protocol.

This winter I plan to complete my advanced plugin control for Cubase. It should work in Cubase 7.
Formant+Eurorack, PPG wave 2.2, Korg MS-20, etc., EWI 4000s, QuNeo, etc., Mixbus32c, u-he, MadronaLabs, Samplemodeling, NI, etc., iPad2/4/Pro

beatpete
Regular

Post by beatpete » 02 Oct 2013 15:15

I'm not sure if I would even use an Ipad for plugin control, but it would be nice to try. I'm led to believe that once you've setup the "remote control editor", it will work on that plugin, no matter where it resides. I tried doing this with the Cubase "generic remote" and it's limited to a particular slot on a "selected channel".
BTW for anyone who's interested, here's how I use Lemur to control Cubase and RME Totalmix.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0N39JHTkg8

Phil999
Regular

Post by Phil999 » 02 Oct 2013 19:23

beatpete wrote:I tried doing this with the Cubase "generic remote" and it's limited to a particular slot on a "selected channel".
basically, yes, but if you leave the Generic Remote Device xml "neutral" and use Lemur's scripting and graphics, you can have your plugin control with your nice GUI in any slot! And if you can tell Lemur which channel in Cubase is selected, you can make Lemur display exactly the plugin GUI's that are actually present in Cubase.