LeMackie v2 - Mackie Emulation for Cakewalk's Sonar

Post your Lemur Projects.
Softcore
Regular
Re: LeMackie v2 - Mackie Emulation for Cakewalk's Sonar

Post by Softcore » 15 Jan 2013 14:52

I don't think the LEDs for assignment should bother you too much (i.e. be initialised) as they do get initialised once a project is loaded in Sonar and communication is established - at least that's what happens here.

The Pan LEDs setting was just my own aesthetic choice - I dotn have a Mackie so I dont really know where/when each LED mode is used. ;)

As for the text misalignment - Im not sure, everything looks ok in iPad2 but then again perhaps you are spotting a detail Im failing to see! ;)

Whatever the case, thanks again for your additions and of course, you are always free to share-upload any alterations-additions of the project, here or in the user library! ;)

...if I wink one more time, I might end up with a permanently closed eye! lol

whatisvalis
Regular

Post by whatisvalis » 27 Jan 2013 16:43

Hi Softcore,

Do you know if it's possible to send numerical values (numpad) 0-9 from Mackie control? I've experimented with Lemur sending out keyboard messages, but not had much luck.

Cheers

kisslorand

Post by kisslorand » 13 Mar 2013 21:07

I updated the LED's for vPots but it seems it was in vain, Sonar don't really care about Mackie.

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 13 Mar 2013 21:12

Now that they made X2 "touch surface enabled" I guess they think no other surface is of use.....lol

RagsInRags

Simple Rec/Solo/Mute Toggle Function for Sonar

Post by RagsInRags » 04 Feb 2014 23:01

Hi,

I am a noob to the whole control surface and Lemur stuff, so am rather excited about its possibilities.

My task is simple - I am trying to create a custom control surface for Sonar X3. I have set up the connections right and Sonar connects to Lemur as a Mackie Control. I managed to get the connection done using the other forums. Special thanks to Softcore for the Mackie Sonar Template.

Now I am not sure if I am doing something fundamentally wrong. When I try to create a simple button that arms the rec/solo/mute controls, I seem to get a midi-echo from Sonar. Here is what I did:
- create a new project
- write code so it connects to Sonar when Sonar sends a device id request sysex
- create a custom button (behaviour is pad).
- Assign the midi for this button to Note On for midi event 0 (values 0 to 127) - per mackie protocol, this should toggle rec/rdy for track 1.

The template connects with sonar well. I have also got a fader to work. But when I click this button, Sonar switches state and almost immediately send the same note back thus reverting to the previous state. Even the LeMackiev2 template shows the same behaviour.

Has anyone else faced this issue? I have ensured I dont have midi echo on in the track. The only situation in which it works is if I set the Mackie Control Output Port in Sonar to None (so Sonar does not send the echo or any other data back).

Thanks in advance.

**edit - Did some more digging and the problem only seems to be there when I connect wirelessly (via Lemur Daemon using loopMidi). If I connect my iPad using a camera connector and a midi cable, I dont get this issue. Anyone with any info? I also checked the SonarLeMackie2 manual once more. It asks to create 2 ports (1.Internal MIDI + 2.Internal MIDI) for the MCU bit. Is that really required?
Korg Triton Studio, Sonar X3, Doepfer R2M Ribbon

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 06 Feb 2014 13:11

Yes, it is essential that you use a DIFFERENT internal midi port for in and outgoing messages, otherwise unwanted midi feedback loops will occur.

In simple words, for each Lemur target connection you need TWO internal midi ports - one for incoming, one for outgoing. Perhaps this explains, why your "sent" message ends up once again being sent into Sonar - you are sending the "feedback" message (from Sonar TO Lemur) BACK into the Sonar's input

;)

RagsInRags

Post by RagsInRags » 06 Feb 2014 15:34

Thanks Softcore :) . What confuses me is why the behaviour is different from a hard-wired connection. :(. I have a Tascam US122 which has midi ports. Connecting Lemur via the wires works fine! I suppose even the original Mackie unit would be connecting only to one Midi port. Just wondering if it is a Sonar issue or a loopMidi issue.

In any case, I'll go wad with my experimentation using 2 ports for now :D .

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 06 Feb 2014 15:46

Well i cant really comment on wired midi BUT my USB-to-Midi interface which I use with a controller whose USB built in midi interface went dead, STILL has TWO midi plugs - one in, one out....So is your Tascam, there is ONE midi in port, a DIFFERENT midi out port...you dont use the same plug for both directions of midi data (FROM and TO tascam)....so you get what Im saying! ;)

It might appear as ONE port (Tascam midi in, Tascam midi out) in your software....but is it really one? ;)

Now think of the virtual midi thing in our Windows....when it says Internal Midi 1 in and Internal Midi 1 Out....it refers to ONE "virtual midi cable" per se, and its both "ends". Midi data goes from one of its virtual endpoints (In) through to the other (Out). Now you "plug" this virtual midi cable FROM Lemur TO Sonar....there.....the virtual midi cable 1 is now in use and occupied. You now need a SECOND virtual midi cable ...lets name it Internal Midi 2 to connect FROM Sonar TO Lemur.

It actually makes pretty sense to me, that you need TWO of those cables, doesnt it?

;)

RagsInRags

Post by RagsInRags » 07 Feb 2014 21:38

:lol:
Now think of the virtual midi thing in our Windows....when it says Internal Midi 1 in and Internal Midi 1 Out....it refers to ONE "virtual midi cable" per se, and its both "ends".
When you put it that way, yes it does. I probably got confused about the the same name TASCAM-IN and TASCAM-OUT in the displays. And then you have DAWRemote that connects just over 1 port (one pair of in-out). Again, I think rtpMidi might be managing the "Cables" internally when it links up the PC ports on the wireless network. :geek:

Yes - now the confusion resolved. Thanks Again.

I Spent the last couple of days making a custom surface display to get data for a Mackie C4 (dont like the default surface LCD of Lemur - cant do much with it :roll: ). All 4 displays responds perfectly to the data Sonar sends (including the split modes). But alas, Im not able to get the knobs to work. I have not got the slightest clue on how C4 tells Sonar that its knob is moving CW or CCW. From the way I read internet information, I guess no one has figured that out yet :cry: . Would have loved to have a 32-Knob controller as my first Lemur project.

The fight is on. Lets see where the future takes me 8-)

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 13 Feb 2014 08:25

Oh Im sorry man! I 've been busy with some other stuff so I hadnt seen your post. But it looks like you pulled it off! ;)