Oberheim Matrix Template

Post your Lemur Projects.
Hydroid
Re: Oberheim Matrix Template

Post by Hydroid » 05 Jan 2013 19:20

Is anyone getting this work on a matrix-6? I know midi is getting to it but no response from the parameters. I have the matrix on patch edit like when u have a normal midi/ controller attached. Thanks for any help.

helldriver

Post by helldriver » 09 Jan 2013 11:54

I did it! :D At least partly. I found the solution ;)
if you want to control a Oberheim Matrix 6(R) the Matrix of the Matrix 6 has to be set to: "Quick Patch Edit".

But there is still an issue with the Ipad Editor. The Matrix Editor on the second page of the lemur Template isn´t working. After pressing the send button the midi interface shows outgoing midi data but the Matrix 6 isn´t recognizising anything.
Is this issue due to negative midi values which are used in that controllers? the programmers of iMatrix didn´t get it to work either because of this ominous negative midi values. at least that´s what the wrote on the homepage (which is btw not around anymore cause the company died).

It would be so nice if the Matrix send Buttons would work with my Matrix 6 because it is an important feature of this synthesizer. Midiquest works with the Matrix 6 and that "negative midi values". in so far it should work with the lemur oberheim matrix template too. Maybe I or someone else can figure out what´s the problem.

greets helldriver

I got this information on the following useful page for Matrix 6 users:

http://www.youngmonkey.ca/nose/audio_te ... rix6R.html

"Remote Editing
The M-6 has a set of System Exclusive messages which can be used to edit
Patch parameters via MIDI. This is an alternative to transmitting the
entire Patch in its edited form. The primary differences are that this
editing operation can be performed much more quickly than retransmitting
the entire Patch, and any currently gated sounds will continue playing
through the remote edit operation. This makes it possible to hear a sound
change under remote control without regating the sound after each update.
The remote editing System Exclusive messages are:

Select Quick Patch Edit
This operation selects the Quick mode of the Patch Edit function on the
M-6. The M-6 must be in Patch Edit mode in order to act upon parameter
change commands. This command should be used as a

prefix to any remote editing commands. The select Quick Patch Edit
operation has the format:

Byte Function

05H Opcode

Change Parameter
This operation changes the Value of the specified parameter. If the
Value specified is out of range for the parameter, the operation
is ignored. This operation implicitly selects the specified parameter as
the current parameter, just as does the Select Parameter operation.
The M-6 must be in QUICK Patch Edit mode to perform this
operation.

Byte Function

06H Opcode
pp Parameter Number to change; must be in range 0
through 99, and
specify a parameter in the current Page.
vv New parameter Value; must be within correct range
for current

parameter. This does not support negative Values."

Audiohack

Post by Audiohack » 20 Jan 2013 17:13

Thanks so much for making and sharing this template. I just got it working with my ipad and a Matrix 6r. Great work!

edit: except for the mod matrix page ... :( but being able to edit the first page of parameters from my ipad is still excellent!

Time to roll up my sleeves and think of a solution.

ianob

Post by ianob » 04 Apr 2013 16:17

Hello, I am totally new to Lemur and know next to nothing about it at this time.
But I am pretty well versed in making music on a Mac and I do have an iPad :)
I just stumbled across this forum looking for a sysex controller for an Oberheim matrix 1000.

Sorry for the noob question, but er..am I reading this forum correctly? I.e. this app, along with this template can remote control the M1000 for sound editing?
Sorry it's late here, and I've been scouring the web for hours now.
Can someone please confirm I've got this right?
Thanks in advance!

kabletx

Post by kabletx » 25 Apr 2013 19:56

Yes, that is exactly the intention of this template.

ianob

Post by ianob » 25 Apr 2013 22:56

@kabletx GREAT! Thanks for the reply.
I understand it can't provide feedback from the M1000 to show selected patches' initial settings, but I I understand the workaround and I think it's no big deal. I'm wondering does the template cover all parameters including the mod matrix?
And, bottom line...does it work in the real world, with the limitations of the M1000 itself? I know it's not the best synth for sysex / realtime control, but just steady stable (if slow) editing would be amazingly helpful.
Also, I don't own an iPad MIDI interface - anyone recommend a decent one that works with this app?
I'd love to get started on this once I have this info.
Many many thanks in advance for any assistance yourself or anyone on this forum can provide!

kabletx

Post by kabletx » 25 Apr 2013 23:45

Yes, all MIDI SYSEX editable parameters are available, including the mod matix (touch the ".." to get to the second page with the matrix).

Any class compliant MIDI interface will work, but some will require power. I use the apple Camera Connection Kit with an M-audio MIDISport UNO. It doesn't require power to function.

ianob

Post by ianob » 26 Apr 2013 00:11

Brilliant! Thank you :) One last question sorry, just wondering about your overall experience with this setup?
Is it stable? Do you have to be careful (or how careful do you have to be?) not to overload the M1000 before it freezes from sysex overload? I know the M1000 as a whole has a hard time with sysex as real time control. Can you even edit and play sound at the same time or must you wait to send sysex between notes?
I'm a Mac user, none of the M1000 editors work properly with modern OSX and I've tried all the PC options too it's *so* frustrating to not be able to access the M1000. If you can kindly confirm you have this system running yourself and working that would be tremendous, thank you!

kabletx

Post by kabletx » 26 Apr 2013 00:43

I designed the template, so I'm happy to help out. I find it stable in general, but you can overwhelm the synth by sending too much data at once. Some things can be done with real-time control, oscillator pitch comes to mind, but others will hang pretty easily. I suggest making a change and then playing a note to see what's happened, rather than attempting to do that at the same time. It's also worth noting that the modulation matrix has to be sent all-in-one, not in real time. That's a restriction of the synth itself. It's not a perfect solution, but it will certainly get the job done.

ianob

Post by ianob » 26 Apr 2013 12:30

Brilliant! Thanks for your help.
Sorry I thought I wouldn't have to keep asking stuff, but...
As for a midi interface, what do you think of the line 6 midi mobilizer II?
The specs say it's 'compatible with any iOS app that supports core midi' - is this the same as 'class compliant?' as described in your post?
If so, it would mean I could buy the one device and not have to buy midi interface plus apple camera connection kit (which is basically a USB port I think?)
I hope I'm not crossing the line and drifting into the realm of asking too many annoying questions :/
I wouldn't use the camera connection kit for any other reason I think, so if it (line 6 gadget) will work it makes more sense and saves cash to buy just one device to connect the shiny modern iPad to 30 year old midi technology :D

I understand you can't give assurances about equipment you do not use, so I guess basically I'm asking does 'class compliant' = 'supports iOS coremidi ?'
Thanks!!!!