Sonic Charge uTonic update/remake version 1.5

Post your Lemur Projects.
mism
Sonic Charge uTonic update/remake version 1.5

Post by mism » 23 Apr 2012 23:49

Hi everyone,

credits go to chris michaels who had the idea and did the first version, including all of the assignments of uTonic, except those I added additionally. BIG THANK YOU!!
Actually I only wanted to do the midi assignments in uTonic, because the megaupload link was leading kinda nowhere. I ended up spending three looong nights doing changes on the lemur template in the end. In terms of functionality and layout I thought it was worth it and wanted to share it with the liine community. I hope you enjoy. This is my first upload at all, so be kind to me.

List of changes:
- almost complete remake of the layout
- changed positions and size on most of the objects
- changed and/or added text on most of the objects
- grid behavior (with text) on some of the faders where it was useful
- added two extra faders for separate control of attack and decay
- added stereo on/off custom pad
- changed colors (I hope they are O.K., because I am colorblind, if not change them :lol: ). Did same
colors for OSC or Noise controllers
- added an extra fader for the soundmorpher which makes an additional
control with the Ring area that existed. This is especially useful if you want to do adjustments on
different positions, because Ring area always jumped back to it´s mid position. It also works great
with the additional scripts that can be downloaded at Sonic Charge Forum.
- exchanged some pads with custom buttons, including different text regarding position and
function of the faders.

I also include the missing Microtonic midi file for uTonic. Please load it before using the lemur template > open uTonic midi confg. / load confg. Make sure midi is lit at the top of uTonic if that is not already so.

Open lemur daemon and set it up with e.g. : Midi 0 "Daemon output 0" and "Daemon input 0". if you haven´t done so already (actually "Daemon input 0" is enough, because the iPad doesn´t get updated the other way around anyway, except the sequence data on trig pads as far as I know, but I have set it up like this for my other templates) . Make sure you choose "Daemon input 0" on your "midi in" in the track of your DAW to control uTonic.

I also tried a sequencer on a second interface to control uTonic, but timing was so bad that I forgot about that quickly. Mat max sequencers would probably work much better, but I haven´t tried that (I will though).
An extra multiball page might be nice for more craziness. Maybe I´ll do one in the future, but I have to learn that first.
If someone else has the knowledge and time go ahead, I would definitely appreciate it, until then I added the awesome Antonio Blanca (thanks Antonio!!!) Kontrolab [2] and AB CCELL on additional interfaces on my personal uTonic lemur template to do control changes in Ableton or even extra control of uTonic which is great, but needs some additional changes in the lemur daemon and AB´s template´s midi confg. to make it work nicely without midi conflicts, depends on how you want to use them (not included in this .jzml!).

Original version by chris michaels:

My updated remake version 1.5

http://liine.net/en/community/user-library/view/244/

Peace
Markus
Attachments
My uTonic 1.5 update.jzml
(109.31KiB)Downloaded 236 times
MicroTonic MIDI Config.scmc.zip
Midi confg. uTonic
(1.54KiB)Downloaded 367 times

kraftf
Regular

Re: Sonic Charge uTonic update/remake version 1.5

Post by kraftf » 29 Apr 2012 00:49

Nice Mod here. I've already done something similar to yours before quite a long time. Didn't have the chance to touch it again. Since you are into it you can have a look at mine. Do what ever you like with it.
We had pretty much the same approach. As a plus I had added some pads to change balance position of the ring area and some pads for changing programs. The attached file is just a renamed jzml file and not a zip file.
Attachments
microtonic-controller.jzml.zip
(81.19KiB)Downloaded 231 times

mism

Post by mism » 07 May 2012 20:31

Sorry for the late reply...
Thanks for the kind words kraftf!
Nice to read at least one postive feedback. It seems at it is not common to say something nice to people who invest (a lot of) time to do templates for this community, this can
in the worst case lead to less user templates, because developers do not get enough recognition for doing them...dangerous..., but understandable :twisted:

Thanks for sharing your version. Pretty similar approach, in fact I wanted to do "dec" / "inc" pads for the programm change but didn´t have the patience to find
out, your pads for that do their job as well, but I guess I can´t make em fit in "mine". ;)

rishi

Post by rishi » 08 May 2012 12:26

Just wanted to say thanks to all involved. Been dreaming of a way to control utonic without the mouse and now I have it!!

Is there anyway to generate feedback to the Lemur template?

mism

Post by mism » 08 May 2012 14:48

rishi wrote:Just wanted to say thanks to all involved. Been dreaming of a way to control utonic without the mouse and now I have it!!

Is there anyway to generate feedback to the Lemur template?
Thanks richi, glad you like the remake.
It is possible to generate feedback, but unfortunately "only" the pads at the bottom get sequence info. Not sure, but I think a general feedback where all faders and knobs
get updated in their postition is not possible.
I don´t know which DAW you use, in Ableton I create an extra midi track and choose midi in "from microtonic" and midi out "to the lemur daemon 0". You might want to
set this midi channel in Lemur daemon first if you haven´t done so yet. The bottom row pads 1-8 should be flashing according to the sequence data of those sounds.
I hope this helps. ;)

rishi

Post by rishi » 10 May 2012 00:51

Device control on Touchable offers an 'update' button. this serves the purpose of updating all controls to current positions.

If we were able to send the update message along with (straight after) the channel button message we might be able to do a parameter update.

it wouldnt show automation or morphing but it would give us a way to work with the controls at correct settings???

Just a thought not sure if this is possible.

mism

Post by mism » 10 May 2012 08:47

rishi wrote:Device control on Touchable offers an 'update' button. this serves the purpose of updating all controls to current positions.

If we were able to send the update message along with (straight after) the channel button message we might be able to do a parameter update.

it wouldnt show automation or morphing but it would give us a way to work with the controls at correct settings???

Just a thought not sure if this is possible.
Good thought. An update button might do the trick.
I´ll have to look into that and maybe ask one of our master template designers. It will probably take a few days until I find out, but I am curious
about this as well and it would be great to have it.
I will post it here whenever I find out more, so check back once every while... ;)

rishi

Post by rishi » 10 May 2012 09:04

Cool. Subscribed to the topic !!

chrism

Post by chrism » 19 Jun 2012 13:24

Sweet man. I did the first one in a rush and got busy and was never able to get back to it. Glad someone was able to update it. This is great.

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 07 Nov 2012 11:51

μTonic is soooooo underrated - its the perfect drum synth for live situations! Big thanks for this controller - I already have some ideas about the updating issue - I will check out your work and see what I can do!

BTW: its an "μ" not a "u" - greek m letter - as far as I know its also used in metric system for micro (m = milli, μ=micro) ;)