monoemur & serial osc

Post your Lemur Projects.
dimi
monoemur & serial osc

Post by dimi » 12 Apr 2012 16:31

Hi all

I've been trying to get monome applications that use serialosc to work with monoemur. But so far no luck.

I noticed that monome applications using serialosc only need to get access to a servicename and use the serialosc.maxpat to accomplish this.

So i modified the monoemur_3.0 patch to setup(create) a servicename (using oscbonjour) at a port number.
I updated it to
1. receive from the monome application at that port number
2. send to the monome applicaton at that port number

I modified serialosc to get a list of all udp servicenames instead of those prefixed with _monome.
So when I started the monome application, i could select the servicename I setup in the monoemur patch.
But no connection at all, hence no fun with lemur...

Has anyone succeeded in getting this to work ? or is it impossible?
warm regards
dimi

Macciza
Regular

Re: monoemur & serial osc

Post by Macciza » 13 Apr 2012 10:32

Hi
I'd been keen to have a look into it as well . . .
I've had success with the monome suite for live from stretta but not the standalones so much

It seems there are a few different versions of serialosc out there as well, with manual port, and autofind/connect variants . .
Probably not best to actually edit serialosc patch imho - makes for yet another variant . . .

I have used the zeroconf objects and gotten servicename and port info to 'standard' serialosc ie. as -monome-osc._udp,
Just have a few issues to sort - but pretty close at the moment - should be quite possible

will post results a bit later

Cheers
MM
iMac 2.8G i7 12G 10.6.8/10.7.2, Legacy Dexter/Lemur, Liine Lemur/iPad2, KMI SoftStep, 12Step & QuNeo , B-Controls, Mackie C4 etc
MaxMSP, Live Suite, Native Instrument stuff, etc Modified Virtual Guitar System etc All Projects/Modules © CC-BY-NC-SA[*][/b]

Macciza
Regular

Post by Macciza » 13 Apr 2012 13:27

OK
Quick update: Definitely possible - Working proof of concept completed. Just needs test and tidy . . .
Will post something at some point soon once I've checked that there are no major issues
Worked out most of the issues - discovery, connection, old/new name conversion, addressing etc . .
But these problems may be better addressed with an updated Lemur project, rather than mediating Max patch

Part of the problem, unless your using a weird monome app like I was, is the new address space with serialosc
The monemur project uses the older addressing so is incompatible with the newer apps without revision somewhere

Are many people interested in monome type uses?

Cheers
MM
iMac 2.8G i7 12G 10.6.8/10.7.2, Legacy Dexter/Lemur, Liine Lemur/iPad2, KMI SoftStep, 12Step & QuNeo , B-Controls, Mackie C4 etc
MaxMSP, Live Suite, Native Instrument stuff, etc Modified Virtual Guitar System etc All Projects/Modules © CC-BY-NC-SA[*][/b]

dimi

Post by dimi » 13 Apr 2012 16:08

Wow, great that you had a breakthrough!

To answer to your point on your previous post, regarding compatibility of monoemur with monome apps, i too had only tested it with the maxforlive suite (v.2.0) of stretta.
If you however see the section in the monome apps, it clearly has this suite as well as several other apps under monomeserial compatible.

To test, I opened up polygome maxpat (offered as a separate download) for serialosc & monomeserial and tried both... only the monomeserial version worked and this confirmed my suspicion of needing to work on it.

As you identified serialosc brings a different concept from a port oriented setup to a service one. However there are protocol changes too.
One thing i didn't yet figure out - and maybe this is what you refer to - is whether the lemur monoemur template also should be adapted to conform to those as well.
Is this why you talk about leaving the max patch to do the bare minimum and update the template as well?

As a way forward, i would really love a serialosc solution for the lemur. All new monome apps are now using it and there are enough people interested (or will be for sure), by the looks of posts in the monome community.

warm regards
dimi

mism

Post by mism » 13 Apr 2012 19:03

I have a monome 128 and use pages to run multipe apps at once. Might be worth to try it... and pages is awesome anyway. Has it´s own sequencer,
clip launcher, fader, etc.
http://docs.monome.org/doku.php?id=app:pages
It takes a while to set it up right, but once you done that it should work with the iPad as well. I know someone got it running, not sure if he
used monomemur for it though. I can run all apps, monomeserial or not, using pages with serial osc installed. Pages takes care of it.

Regarding monoemur, I remember some time ago that it caused lots of trouble when I tried to use it with my legacy lemur, because it has never been updated.

And yes, I would be interested as well to try monoemur on my iPad, especially using a 256 version. I´d still probably prefer my monome, but I´d
give it a try and see how it goes. ;)

electrofux
Regular

Post by electrofux » 14 Apr 2012 10:30

Lemur works with Pages, i got it working so far. Not sure if you can run any external app without problems because i have only used groovey and the internal ones.

dimi

Post by dimi » 14 Apr 2012 15:07

Yes, Pages looks great.
I wonder however how many layers we have to setup to get a simple monome app going...
Every little one adds to the user, makes it more cumbersome to use, more error prone.. i don't know.
Having to run the monoemur max patch, pages and then another monome app, for me at least would be a serious reason to turn to another alternative.

mism

Post by mism » 14 Apr 2012 20:11

Once you have pages set up it is really smooth and fast to get apps going, not many layers.

I save a preset of pages with apps and pages intern stuff I like most e.g. clip launcher / fader / molar / boing / obo / plinkonome / party4 / raptor / polygome
I use max for live, so it might be a bit easier once I know which apps I want I put them all in one folder, ready for use.
The first time you do that you have to check a bit more how each external app accepts osc (e.g. osc autofocus apps didn´t do well for me) and might have to change that, or
search for a different version of that app, but in the end I found a solution for almost all apps I wanted and mostly serial osc then does take care of the osc in/out ports hassle.

Next time you open pages java app, load the preset like mentioned above, open Ableton, either a default, or saved project with everything you want in it if you wish,
or load the m4l, or molar you wish and you are ready to go. Takes me 5 minutes to get my monome running and have all of the above ready to use. ;)

Btw.: Phortran who did pages is a great guy, always willing to help...even if you do not have a monome :D
http://post.monome.org/comments.php?Dis ... 29#Item_18

dimi

Post by dimi » 21 Apr 2012 10:02

Macciza wrote:OK
Quick update: Definitely possible - Working proof of concept completed. Just needs test and tidy . . .
Will post something at some point soon once I've checked that there are no major issues
Worked out most of the issues - discovery, connection, old/new name conversion, addressing etc . .
But these problems may be better addressed with an updated Lemur project, rather than mediating Max patch

Part of the problem, unless your using a weird monome app like I was, is the new address space with serialosc
The monemur project uses the older addressing so is incompatible with the newer apps without revision somewhere

Are many people interested in monome type uses?

Cheers
MM
Hello Macciza
have you had any luck with testing? Do you need any help? Let me know if i can help...

Macciza
Regular

Post by Macciza » 21 Apr 2012 12:27

Hi
Here you go - have a try of this - MonemurConnector v 3.03 . . .
It is a quick hack to route/rename the data that gets sent, do prefix, info etc. . .
Not the perfect solution - but workable for the moment with serialOSC monome apps
Not cleaned up inside or anything yet - still looking at getting Lemur to handle it all.
Check it out and see how it goes for you.
^^monemur_v303b.maxpat.zip
(3.64KiB)Downloaded 318 times
©2013 Macciza. CC BY-NC-SA Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike

Cheers
MM