we need a maxforlive step sequencer

Post your Lemur Projects.
daviiid
we need a maxforlive step sequencer

Post by daviiid » 28 Mar 2012 02:51

Hi
i buyed the lemur app recently and i'm very happy with all the templates on the site.
Only thing i thought there was a midi note step sequencer that i could use in ableton live with a maxforlive patch,
but unfortunately seems i can't find one?
I mean a step sequencer like the standard one that comes with maxforlive or the launchpad step sequencer (that i use now)
or the ones made for the livid instruments.
Ok there's Mu and would be perfect for my needs, but i don't want to use all the Mu environment as i already have
an akai apc40 that i use to control live. Anyone knows if it's possible to extrapolate it and use without Mu?
I also like the sequencomat, but it's max only and not maxforlive. Maybe in the future will be ported?
I think there are many advantages having a maxforlive patch+lemur template, like perfect sync, presets saved with the project etc..
Maybe liine should also collaborate, i really appreciate the ambivalent patch and really wish they would build a similar sequencer for synths and not only for racks.

Macciza
Regular

Re: we need a maxforlive step sequencer

Post by Macciza » 28 Mar 2012 11:49

Hi

Personally I don't see the need for yet another M4L stepsequencer - there are plenty of them, too many really . . .
The beauty of Lemur is that you can control almost any existing MIDI/OSC app by building a controller . . .
Why not design an Interface to talk to your favourite seq - LiveStep or the APC version of it . . .
Maybe mimic the APC 40 design if you are used to it - or make it an APC 80 version for longer seqs

The Ambivalent Beats setup is not just for Racks - you can put synths after it if you want . . .

Cheers
MM
iMac 2.8G i7 12G 10.6.8/10.7.2, Legacy Dexter/Lemur, Liine Lemur/iPad2, KMI SoftStep, 12Step & QuNeo , B-Controls, Mackie C4 etc
MaxMSP, Live Suite, Native Instrument stuff, etc Modified Virtual Guitar System etc All Projects/Modules © CC-BY-NC-SA[*][/b]

daviiid

Post by daviiid » 28 Mar 2012 14:14

of course i see many step sequencers on the maxforlive.com site, but no one of them comes with a lemur interface. This is what i meant.
I can program an interface (i owned a lemur) but i'm not familiar at all with max and really don't know how to add OSC to a maxforlive device to communicate with lemur.
Maybe anyone can suggest a tutorial or give me some help? Thx

mat
Regular

Post by mat » 28 Mar 2012 17:51

Hey,
nice to see you like my sequencomat :D

You know that maxpatches runs parallel with max4live patches?
...and max got a free runtime (while max4live has not)
So I never saw the necessarity to port Sequencomat to m4l ;)
I have m4l, run it in some setups, but I don´t like some restrictions that comes with m4l for coding....so I use more the presets :o

well... there was a step sequencer max for live control template once: http://www.jazzmutant.com/lemuruser_mod ... php?id=198
...it is integrated in MU. Here is the threat: http://forum.jazzmutant.com/viewtopic.php?t=3263

But as you said, you do not want to use MU, why not Sequencomat?
Did you have any problems with setup? (in combination with different hardware and controller stuff this can happen, but till now compatibility was fine with any setup)

cheers
mat
Lemur modules and sequencer: http://music-interface.com
Setup: Win7professional 32bit, Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2,66 GHz.,Tascam US-144MKII, Ableton Live 8.4,
Arturia Analog Lab., Max/Msp, Maxforlive, Lemur Legacy + Ipad, Akai MPK61, Doepfer Pocket Control

protocol

Post by protocol » 30 Mar 2012 03:08

@ daviiid

What i am about to tell you is there is an answer in Mu. I know that you said no Mu, but i assume its becuase you dont want to use the "Mu-Template". There is another option in Mu, a more flexible option (that ppl just dont know about), the customized templates using Mu hosting not the Mu jzmls! SO my answer to your question is, there already is one made by the developers of Mu. You dont have to use stepseq mod'd by sebastien harvey as explained by Mat, you can just use original unmod'd stepseq sebastien harvey mod'd it off of.
It came with the old mu folder, dont know if its in the new mu or not for the iproducts so i will recycle it below.

Basically, open the Mu.lemurclient or Mu, this will automaticaly load the Mu Template which you dont want, SO drag the 4_stepsequencer.jzml into the drop file zone. Throw the .amxd into a track, use the orange box in the corner to match the container in the template by clicking and holding on the learn button "L" while pressing a button on the lemur. it will automatically find the folder name and assign it in the associated area to the RHS.

It should now work for you, that's it. No Mu menus crap. So the message is. Use this as a template, add stuff you want and what not. But its a step seq, no menus!

Ppl dont understand the power of Mu, you dont have to use it for "Mu template stuff". i am coming out with something that will enhance-understanding of this in a bit and make custom Mu templates a lot easier, however i am working thru a few things with some testers in the moment (and need to finish finals here).

Best of luck
protocol
Attachments
Step Seq.zip
(36.7KiB)Downloaded 159 times

daviiid

Post by daviiid » 30 Mar 2012 16:40

Hi protocol, thank you very much for the reply.
This was exactly what i was looking for! Really didn't know i could load the step seq without all the Mu enviroment. It's working very well.
Only thing is that i streched the template for the ipad size but when i load it and sync with the orange L in the patch it comes back to the smaller lagacy lemur size.
I need to change some values in the step seq patch, right? Any tips? p Lemur_interface maybe? Thanks again!

protocol

Post by protocol » 30 Mar 2012 20:53

@ Daviiid,

Glad its what you were looking for! I haven't spent a lot of time using it, but here is the approach i would take. I would first locate ALL of the "prepend /oscmessage @rect" in the M4L patch itself (as you eluded to). on quick glance i do confirm lots of the "@rect" being within p Lemur_interface. Next, there are several things you can do from here but i see 2 main options, depending on the functionality of the patch and how much work you want to put into it!

1) most convoluted but thorough: figure out their mathematical system of getting the right values fed into that "prepend /oscmessage @rect" and figure out how to get it to change the multipliers to work for the ipad..... (too tedious for my liking however there is a crucial advantage with this)... ADVANTAGE: if when using the device the objects change size when selecting parameters (which i think is the case), for instance, if by selecting some velocity button it adds or deletes the object and adjusts the size of the other objects to fill the space. If this is the case then this LONG WORK would pay off and the functionality would remain when selecting or deselecting a parameter to step seq.

2) easiest but can limit device functionality! find all those "prepend /oscmessage @rect" and delete the output to s ---to.lemur (or the object itself). this is the easiest way to do it, then it doesn't go and change your sizing on you when you open it! Disadvantage: it may reduce functionality of the patch!

if this doesnt work then there might be some rect changers within the jzml itself (although i doubt this cause the @rects in the m4l patch itself.) this is just a caveat

Best of luck bro,
Protocol

daviiid

Post by daviiid » 01 Apr 2012 02:21

Thank you again.
In the end i went for the easy way, had to remove a few objects and it's true sometimes did not worked but after a few modifications got what i needed.