Blofeld template developer [new 1.55 release for 2015]

Post your Lemur Projects.
analog604
Regular
Blofeld template developer [new 1.55 release for 2015]

Post by analog604 » 02 Mar 2012 23:34

Hi guys!

Anyone happen to be working on a Blofeld template?

I made a basic, basic, basic one using control changes for few oscillator and filter controls just as a quick test. it was the second thing i programmed for Lemur after MCU stuff for DAW.

but that was before I've done all the layout and sysex work. 8-)

now i want to begin working on a sysex (to Blofeld only for now... 127byte limit on MIDI_ARGS input + 256 overall limit per arrays)
but didn't want to duplicate efforts too much. ;)

I want control of all multi parameters, but that may be out of reach because not all functions are within MIDI spec based upon 1.04 document which according to Waldorf tech support last week was latest document.
For me, making most of the patch changes over Wifi while chillin' on the couch would be a step in the right direction.
So what do other Blofeld owners want to see in their Lemur iPad control app?

-J
Last edited by analog604 on 23 Feb 2015 17:17, edited 3 times in total.
Dashboard gear control templates: User 112 Idx :: LModIt Lite :: SVG image converter for Lemur Canvas

Tom_1970

Re: Waldorf Blofeld? anybody working on template?

Post by Tom_1970 » 04 Mar 2012 22:56

I am just beginning to make templates for Lemur, so making a Blofeld template is beyond my knowledge at this moment.
However, I like the idea of controlling my Blofeld with the iPad.
I think editing the Blofeld on the instrument itself works fine.
I like the graphical display of the Blofeld parameters, but I miss an 'overview' of the patch settings.
So I am very curious about what you have in mind for your template.

analog604
Regular

Post by analog604 » 05 Mar 2012 03:44

Hi!
yes i appreciate programming the Blofeld from the front panel, like the knobs and overall good interface!
The LCD is nice and big for an instrument of the price, but it could do well augmented with Lemur.

Tonight I've been comparing what is available via the standard control change messages and what can be accessed via sysex control.
Waldorf as usual had made a generous CC implementation. But access to multi parameters is not included there.
Not bad, but.. I use the multi on the synth.
So it would be useful to be able to access instruments within the multi quickly and with the birds eye overview on features as you said.

I've not been skilled at making the arp work beyond basics so I'll try to add a single page dedicated to detailed arpeggiator control.

Patch browsing/previewing and assignment to a multi 10 feet away or where ever over WiFi! ;)

I began to create a boilerplate template with all the basic control, features and similar layout based directly on my Mopho and Pulse dashboard project templates then began a screen that will focus on the modulation matrix.
This will can scaled up to 16 mutli-instruments so should be interesting to see how much ground that I can cover. max 382 parameters per instrument x 16 (over 50 reserved and not used yet). This might take awhile. :ugeek:
Here's what I plan on focusing on:
-Making every Arpeggio control available.. and hopefully easy to use! :)
-All basic synth osc/filter/env controls like in my previous dashboard work
-animated Lemur controls that can be mapped to useful synth cc's
-some parameter randomization within selectable ranges
-Lemur based note/percussion generator for multi-channels

I'm obsessed with it already.. :!:

If there are ideas and features that you guys can think of please post.. I want to make this a useful creative tool
cheers~
-J
Tom_1970 wrote:I am just beginning to make templates for Lemur, so making a Blofeld template is beyond my knowledge at this moment.
However, I like the idea of controlling my Blofeld with the iPad.
I think editing the Blofeld on the instrument itself works fine.
I like the graphical display of the Blofeld parameters, but I miss an 'overview' of the patch settings.
So I am very curious about what you have in mind for your template.
Dashboard gear control templates: User 112 Idx :: LModIt Lite :: SVG image converter for Lemur Canvas

Octouser

Post by Octouser » 05 Mar 2012 16:55

Hello analog604. I've been working on a Blofeld template for a while. So far I'm done with OSC's, Filters and 16 modulators. As soon as I've finished envelopes, lfo's and modifiers I will upload it. I'm new to Lemur and scripting so it will take a while until I've finished it all.

Unfortunatly the LemurMenu object allows 32 entries. The Blofeld modulators Destination has 55 entries so I had to make that controller a fader instead of a menu. For the moment I'm stuck on breakpionts and how to get them working for the envelopes.

Looking forward to your contribution!

Kind regards
BJ

analog604
Regular

Post by analog604 » 05 Mar 2012 19:01

Hi BJ, Thanks for the response good to know that others are working on this as well. :)

I understand about the menu object limitation, I've mostly abandoned that method for the size reason and because the bottom of a container will cut off long lists. So I just use arrays with and a slider to flip through the descriptions, displaying a changed text object. It's ok but sometimes it would be useful to have all the options listed.
I was considering popping up a container with arrays of buttons with names... but haven't worked out how practical and actually useful the method may be. :)

Breakpoints I am no expert at, they can be very cool and interactive (check out ABreakpoint2 for extremely excellent example) but also are difficult to select onscreen and confusing to program. My best effort so far is to include the basic ADSR breakpoint code that most developers seem to use here, and have a toggle switch that swaps
out that display with 4 sliders, checkout my latest Waldorf Pulse and Mopho Dashboards for that in action. Still a little buggy because the decay will allow sometimes values of greater than 128.

I look forward to checking out your template !

What method of MIDI messages (cc's, sysex?) are you using for the main sections?

cheers~
J
Ocotuser wrote:Hello analog604. I've been working on a Blofeld template for a while. So far I'm done with OSC's, Filters and 16 modulators. As soon as I've finished envelopes, lfo's and modifiers I will upload it. I'm new to Lemur and scripting so it will take a while until I've finished it all.

Unfortunatly the LemurMenu object allows 32 entries. The Blofeld modulators Destination has 55 entries so I had to make that controller a fader instead of a menu. For the moment I'm stuck on breakpionts and how to get them working for the envelopes.

Kind regards
BJ

analog604
Regular

Post by analog604 » 06 Mar 2012 02:00

Hey BJ,

I'm just checking out your uploaded template! Putting it to use actually.. dialed in MIDI channel 6 on Blofeld and it worked.
I can tell that you've put some work into this, and it's already useful. :)
I like the clear layout that you made, all easy to grab controls split into well labeled sections.
The modulation matrix layout I especially appreciate.. you may have run out of Lemur menu items but i think it works out well.
Oscillator common section was a little confusing likely because I haven't used this synth feature at all..or had and didn't realize it! ;)

before seeing your template I had a few hours to knock together 1 oscillator control set and the mixer for all osc+noise+ringmod and balance. No actual control yet, but the onscreen numbers change and the names change above dials/slider for stuff like shape/mod sources.

-J
Ocotuser wrote:Hello analog604. I've been working on a Blofeld template for a while. So far I'm done with OSC's, Filters and 16 modulators. As soon as I've finished envelopes, lfo's and modifiers I will upload it. I'm new to Lemur and scripting so it will take a while until I've finished it all.

Kind regards
BJ

omaroo

Post by omaroo » 06 Mar 2012 21:25

Hello there fellow Blofeld users

Did I miss something, or was there a Blofeld template up the other day on the community page that isn't there any more? I was going to start one myself, but if there is already one available - in whatever state of completion.... it'd be fantastic.
Moog Voyager EBE & VX-351, Slim Phatty, Doepfer Dark Energy & Dark Time, Waldorf Blofeld, Eventide Time, Pitch, ModFactors & Space, Axiom 25, UMX-610, Xenyx X1222USB, MOTU MIDI Exp. 128, Truth B1030A mons, Mac Mini (OSX Lion), Live 8, Logic 9

analog604
Regular

Post by analog604 » 06 Mar 2012 22:28

There was one posted late yesterday. It's gone now. :o

BJ if it is good with you I'd like to contribute building out the arpeggiator related functions to your template.
Is that still ok?

thanks!

Octouser

Post by Octouser » 07 Mar 2012 10:25

Hello. I'm deeply sorry that I removed the Blofeld template. I uploaded it again for everyone to explorer, modify and have fun with.
Nothing is changed but the small text boxes with "Waldorf Blofeld" in top left corner and "S-bay 2012" in the lower right corner.

Hopefully I will launch an update this weekend with envelopes and lfo's.

@analog604: Feel free to build the ARP. I appreciate your offer! Thanks for you comments on the template. I agree that the OSC Common section is a bit confusing. I will take a look into that a.s.a.p.

Once again - sorry that I removed the template a couple of days.

Happy lemuring everyone!

Cheers
BJ

Octouser

Post by Octouser » 07 Mar 2012 17:57

Hello all. I was thinking of how nice and progressive it is with people sharing ideas and constructive critcism. Maybe this thread could be a "Blofeld-template-developer"-thread? What do you say analog604?

I'm almost done with the envelopes. I will continue with the lfo's and some oscillator stuff like ring modulator, noise etc.

Is there a way to co-operate i.e. upload sketches, ideas instead of uploading non-ready templates to the user library?

I'm looking forward to your contribution analog604 :)

Back to work!

Cheers
BJ