16 voice MIDI Step Sequencer (No MaxForLive Required)

Post your Lemur Projects.
TotalMeltdown
16 voice MIDI Step Sequencer (No MaxForLive Required)

Post by TotalMeltdown » 02 Mar 2012 03:02

Here's something for anyone else who's tired of everything interesting requiring Max for Live.

Being a programmer poor college student, I can't justify investing in Max for Live. However, it turns out that Lemur's own built-in script engine is sufficient for building a full step sequencer! It works by actually outputting MIDI note messages based on the configuration of a pad grid and MIDI time information from a DAW.

This is still an early version. I will be buying an iPad 3 when it comes out, and once I have some time to use and debug it on that I'll upload it to the Liine User Library. Until then, here's the version that I've been testing on my iPhone.

http://liine.net/en/community/user-library/view/214/

If you try it out, I'd be happy to take any suggestions for improvement. Bugs, UI quirks, new feature requests are all welcome.

Important note: If you use this sequencer through a wireless router, especially one that has a lot of other network traffic going on, you'll probably get a lot of latency and hiccups. DEFINITELY use either USB or Ad-hoc wireless for MIDI.

Setup

Make sure that your synth or DAW is sending MIDI time updates to Lemur! In Live, that means MIDI sync should be enabled. Otherwise the sequencer will just sit there and do nothing.

If you want to change what MIDI channel the sequencer outputs on, you can use the menu in the lower right of the screen.

Controls

At the top of the screen, you'll see two rows of buttons. Each pair corresponds to a measure in the sequence. The top button selects which measure you're looking at in the grid, and the bottom button is the measure enabler. The sequencer will automatically move from one measure to the next enabled measure, looping around to the beginning when it's finished.

To the left of those two rows, there's a button labeled "C". This is the copy button. Select the measure you wish to copy. Then hold the button, and press the measure you want to paste to. The sequence will be duplicated to the new measure. (Protip: Slide your finger across a range of measures while holding the copy button to paste to all of them. This makes laying a base rhythm or melody super easy.)

Below that is the grid. Each column corresponds to a sixteenth note in 4/4 time. Each row corresponds to a note. You can select what note the sequencer starts on in the upper right of the screen. The default is C1.

To the right of the sequencer grid is the velocity levels. Each slider sets the velocity that that the corresponding note will be played at.

Just above the velocity sliders, and to the right of the measure panel, is the auto-scroll button. When this is enabled, the grid will automatically follow whatever measure is currently being played.

Finally, at the very bottom of the screen there's a dark red bar. This bar sets where the end of the measure is. For 3/4 time, for example, set it just before the 4th beat in the sequence.
Last edited by TotalMeltdown on 02 Mar 2012 21:46, edited 2 times in total.

Macciza
Regular

Re: 16 voice MIDI Step Sequencer (No MaxForLive Required)

Post by Macciza » 02 Mar 2012 05:19

Hi
Umm TotalMeltdown - the link is to an iPad sized Ableton Live control project, not a sequencer???

Cheers
MM
iMac 2.8G i7 12G 10.6.8/10.7.2, Legacy Dexter/Lemur, Liine Lemur/iPad2, KMI SoftStep, 12Step & QuNeo , B-Controls, Mackie C4 etc
MaxMSP, Live Suite, Native Instrument stuff, etc Modified Virtual Guitar System etc All Projects/Modules © CC-BY-NC-SA[*][/b]

TotalMeltdown

Post by TotalMeltdown » 02 Mar 2012 12:51

Macciza wrote:Hi
Umm TotalMeltdown - the link is to an iPad sized Ableton Live control project, not a sequencer???

Cheers
MM
Apparently I was more tired last night than I thought. Sorry about that. I updated the link. :)

Macciza
Regular

Post by Macciza » 02 Mar 2012 13:20

Hi
I just figured 'Meltdown by name, Meltdown by nature . . ' :lol:

Cheers
MM
iMac 2.8G i7 12G 10.6.8/10.7.2, Legacy Dexter/Lemur, Liine Lemur/iPad2, KMI SoftStep, 12Step & QuNeo , B-Controls, Mackie C4 etc
MaxMSP, Live Suite, Native Instrument stuff, etc Modified Virtual Guitar System etc All Projects/Modules © CC-BY-NC-SA[*][/b]

mat
Regular

Post by mat » 02 Mar 2012 18:44

Nice one! :D

just had a try and, yeah, I guess the most complete step sequencer on "Lemur only" :o
really like the easy and direct interface! Your way to couple patterns (mesures) is great.
Performance was quite good, even with a wifi connection. I got some timing stumbles/hopper. But I think thats normal when doing all with lemur scripting...
Congrats! Nice work.

Ideas (as you asked for ;) ):
- set channel menu to top, cause "drop down" is ment literally on Lemur, it only opens downwards...
- start channel with 01 and add Channel 16 (just the naming)
- on long term: maybe add length (like velocity?)

Don´t you like to share it in user section even before you get your iPad3?

all the best
mat
Lemur modules and sequencer: http://music-interface.com
Setup: Win7professional 32bit, Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2,66 GHz.,Tascam US-144MKII, Ableton Live 8.4,
Arturia Analog Lab., Max/Msp, Maxforlive, Lemur Legacy + Ipad, Akai MPK61, Doepfer Pocket Control

TotalMeltdown

Post by TotalMeltdown » 02 Mar 2012 19:10

mat wrote:Nice one! :D

just had a try and, yeah, I guess the most complete step sequencer on "Lemur only" :o
really like the easy and direct interface! Your way to couple patterns (mesures) is great.
Performance was quite good, even with a wifi connection. I got some timing stumbles/hopper. But I think thats normal when doing all with lemur scripting...
Congrats! Nice work.

Ideas (as you asked for ;) ):
- set channel menu to top, cause "drop down" is ment literally on Lemur, it only opens downwards...
- start channel with 01 and add Channel 16 (just the naming)
- on long term: maybe add length (like velocity?)

Don´t you like to share it in user section even before you get your iPad3?

all the best
mat
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll definitely move the Channel list, and renaming them should be easy.

As for note length, I'll have to think on that one. It might be doable, I'm not sure. I'll definitely keep it in mind though.

I wanted to test it for a while and make sure everything works well before it's uploaded. Can you update templates on the user section, or are they cast in stone forever once they're uploaded?

mat
Regular

Post by mat » 02 Mar 2012 19:23

sure you can update templates in the user section!
they are never cast in stone...it is more an ever evolving beta ;)

maybe try saving the Container as jzlib, so you can insert the sequencer in other projects...
As said nice work, will be interesting to many Lemur users!

cheers
mat
Lemur modules and sequencer: http://music-interface.com
Setup: Win7professional 32bit, Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2,66 GHz.,Tascam US-144MKII, Ableton Live 8.4,
Arturia Analog Lab., Max/Msp, Maxforlive, Lemur Legacy + Ipad, Akai MPK61, Doepfer Pocket Control

TotalMeltdown

Post by TotalMeltdown » 02 Mar 2012 20:00

Oh ok, cool. I'll upload it when I get back home this evening.

analog604
Regular

Post by analog604 » 02 Mar 2012 23:15

thanks for posting this, I'm interested in anything sequencing related to see how others are going about it!

just downloaded your updated .jzlib- is this what you meant to post? Thought I had downloaded an app last night. :)
Wondering if you would consider updating the download to a .zip with both a Lemur app+Jzlib ?
in any case please don't stop development there, are you going to add more features?
-J
TotalMeltdown wrote:Here's something for anyone else who's tired of everything interesting requiring Max for Live.

Being a programmer poor college student, I can't justify investing in Max for Live. However, it turns out that Lemur's own built-in script engine is sufficient for building a full step sequencer! It works by actually outputting MIDI note messages based on the configuration of a pad grid and MIDI time information from a DAW.
Dashboard gear control templates: User 112 Idx :: LModIt Lite :: SVG image converter for Lemur Canvas