4 balls - ranged Multiball for MidiCC

Post your Lemur Projects.
mat
Regular
4 balls - ranged Multiball for MidiCC

Post by mat » 25 Feb 2012 09:43

Dear Lemurians,

I´ve completely reworked the 4-balls module: http://liine.net/en/community/user-library/view/5/.
It was one of my first modules at all and had no update till years. The colors were broken since Lemur 2.0 (!) and the surface needed an update too (although Liine had streched the original to iPad size). And while starting programming I felt the fever again and added some usefull functions....

You can see the original module in this video, explaining the main idea (min 4:40) :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 1Sc#t=256s
The main idea is sending control change on each axis and for each of the 4 balls, but not 0-127 cause each ball/axis got its own range. This enables a slighter, more controlled variation. I normally use the horizontal axis for sending pan and the vertical axis for sending FX-amount on 4 tracks. So you do not only "play with the balls" (haha) you play also with the ranges on the module. Therefore they have to be big and grabable.

Each axis also got a mute switch. If pressed it stops sending the ball variation and sends instead the minimum range (vertical axis) or middle position (horizontal axis). If muted you can use the ranges like faders. I added also a "drag" switch, so each range can be locked.

The old module was sending "hard wired" controllernumber and midichannel. Thats a bit unpractical, cause you have to fit your setup to the module. Now you can programm controllernumber and channel for each axis. Therefore press "setup" and popup container appears: Activate the axis you want to change, a red LED will mark those axis and set channel and/or controller with up and down pads....

After I had made that dynamic mapping I thought it will be cool to save those mappings, so I insert a preset container. The point why I mention this is, that only after that I had the idea to save the ranges too. But it in the end I found out that saving the range is even more a deal maker. It is nice to jump with different ranges, setting all 8 CCs to a special pattern...very effectfull!

For completeness I also added save to the mute and drag switches on each axis.

The 3 groups (midisettings, ranges, switches) can now be saved within 15 presets. You can save/load them all together, but also each group can be deactivated if you e.g. only want the ranges to variate. If you save the Lemur module within the project on the iPad the presets are also saved. If you want to to save the presets to the module (so they are default next time you enter it in a project) keep Jazzeditor in sync while editing presets and save the modul ("Fourball"container) with a different name.

This module can be added to any project as a new interface. You can also use it more than once within one project (if you prefer 8 balls).
It sends all Midi to Miditarget 0 of your Lemur.
For routing the Output to your DAW/hardware use the ranges! As a ball will always send on 2 axis...

Enjoy!
and let me know what you think of the new features...

mat
Lemur modules and sequencer: http://music-interface.com
Setup: Win7professional 32bit, Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2,66 GHz.,Tascam US-144MKII, Ableton Live 8.4,
Arturia Analog Lab., Max/Msp, Maxforlive, Lemur Legacy + Ipad, Akai MPK61, Doepfer Pocket Control

Macciza
Regular

Re: 4 balls - ranged Multiball for MidiCC

Post by Macciza » 25 Feb 2012 13:06

Hey Mat
Nice, thanks for the update - thought I'd add a little tweak myself in return . . .

'Ranged SignalScope Tracing' -
For 0-127 it tracks close to the centre of the ball . . .
But when a Range is implemented the trace shows the 'ranged response' . . .

What do you think? Probably needs some setup options - time or fade, off/on etc
And it might be good to have the brightness of the ball colors toggle-able to something duller
This would allow greater focus on the scaled output rather than the input . . .
^^Fourball04^^.jzml.zip
RST Version
(6.54KiB)Downloaded 148 times
Hope you like it, might try another slightly crazier idea and see if it works

Cheers
MM
iMac 2.8G i7 12G 10.6.8/10.7.2, Legacy Dexter/Lemur, Liine Lemur/iPad2, KMI SoftStep, 12Step & QuNeo , B-Controls, Mackie C4 etc
MaxMSP, Live Suite, Native Instrument stuff, etc Modified Virtual Guitar System etc All Projects/Modules © CC-BY-NC-SA[*][/b]

mat
Regular

Post by mat » 26 Feb 2012 18:14

Dude..thats fantastic!

to show a time trace of the balls looks so awesome. :D
In german television there was once a youth magazine with "zini" - ein „Wuslon aus der Familie der Elektroiden“...looked like the same 8-)

I like that new feedback very much. And great it follows the range, a bit confusing, yes, but that is the range concept anyway...somehow.
So it shows the real output and not really "tracing the ball" (only if range = 0 to 1).
As said great idea... I wasn´t fully aware of the opportunity to layer Signalscops and Multiball, although I liked the SignalScope on my "Modumat". I once tried an LFO module, but get lost if it comes to some waveforms and time integration...man, I would really like a tutorial on that. It is a pitty that the Singnalscap is used so rare.

Thank many times for posting!
I think about adding an on/off switch (so user can mute that feedback if they do not like) and will update module soon.

cheers
mat
Lemur modules and sequencer: http://music-interface.com
Setup: Win7professional 32bit, Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2,66 GHz.,Tascam US-144MKII, Ableton Live 8.4,
Arturia Analog Lab., Max/Msp, Maxforlive, Lemur Legacy + Ipad, Akai MPK61, Doepfer Pocket Control

willsanquil

Post by willsanquil » 26 Feb 2012 19:48

thanks so much to both of you, this is a great module! Having a blast with it :)