midiout(target,msg[]) bug????

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
kraftf
Regular
midiout(target,msg[]) bug????

Post by kraftf » 19 Dec 2011 23:00

Big problem with this function.
There is nmo way to define the midi channel with this function. Only the ctlout and noteout funcitons can do it. Or am I wrong?
Even if I get the MIDI_ARGS from onmidi scripts the channel part is lost.
When I try to send out the MIDI_ARGS array i get second message values because the channel part of the array gets sent as second message!!

I don't know if this is a bug. If not then it's a serious flaw, Unless again I am missing something.

armatronix

Re: midiout(target,msg[]) bug????

Post by armatronix » 19 Dec 2011 23:16

For midi messages which are channel-specific, the midi channel is part of the first byte of the message. The second digit of the first byte specifies the midi channel if you write it as a hexadecimal byte.

For example, if you want to send a cc, the first byte will be 0xb#, where # is the midi channel minus 1. Midi channel 1 = 0xb0.

If you want to send a note-on, the status byte will be 0x9#. Midi channel 11 = 0x9a.

kraftf
Regular

Post by kraftf » 19 Dec 2011 23:31

armatronix wrote:For midi messages which are channel-specific, the midi channel is part of the first byte of the message. The second digit of the first byte specifies the midi channel if you write it as a hexadecimal byte.

For example, if you want to send a cc, the first byte will be 0xb#, where # is the midi channel minus 1. Midi channel 1 = 0xb0.

If you want to send a note-on, the status byte will be 0x9#. Midi channel 11 = 0x9a.
Yes,yes,yes.....! you are right!
I knew that but using Lemur for 1 week now is so overwhelming!!
I think that this has been said way too many times inside the Mutant forum but I will say it again loud:

THE MANUAL IS A WORTHLESS PIECE OF S..T!!!! IT SHOULD BE REWRITTEN!
THE PARSER NEEDS IMPROVEMENT!!

I've been so much lost inside gray areas and i've spended so much time to figure out so simple things as for eg how to use the midiout, how to use the midiargs etc...I know i will get rewarded ar last but I am loosing so much time to setup simple things.

Guys at Liine if you are listening:
Make much more many simple examples inside the manual and release them as a getting started examples zip package. You'll make the life much more easier for all newcomers in Lemur.

kraftf
Regular

Post by kraftf » 19 Dec 2011 23:32

Forgot to say a big thanks mate.

armatronix

Post by armatronix » 19 Dec 2011 23:44

It's true, each command at least needs an example. We're not all computer programmers.

And I've wasted way too much time scrolling thru the manual pdf, I'll probably just print out the reference pages at this point so I can make notes. This is where a wiki-style manual could be nice.

Draedus

Post by Draedus » 20 Dec 2011 18:39

+1 for better documentation, be it a wiki or other

Current doc is a good "getting started", but lemur is so deep, documentation should reflect that.