Lazy WIFI

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
Swokki
Lazy WIFI

Post by Swokki » 18 Dec 2011 20:07

Hi guys,

Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but it might be a good heads up to people thinking about taking their ipads on stage.

This weekend I did my first 2 shows with 2 ipads. One running Griid and one running Lemur. Both connected to an AD HOC network made on my macbook pro. What I noticed is that if you leave your computer running for a few hours with everything set up before the show, it really starts lagging badly. My show on Friday went well, I set up everything right before I started and WIFI worked great. Day two was a bit of a bummer since I got on stage to find that the whole system was working really bad. I managed to get through the show by using the keyboard and trackpad on the laptop but it was a bit of a disappointment.

It's just something you all should be aware of I think as it might happen to you.

And I might invest in a wired system for my setup.

Cheers,

Paul

dannyfluck

Re: Lazy WIFI

Post by dannyfluck » 26 Dec 2011 17:33

Haven't used my Lemur app on stage yet, though jamming out for extended periods of time in my apartment I do find it to be laggy, only after about 25 minutes.
This is running an ad-hoc network from my Macbook, but even worse when running off of a closed network with a dedicated airport express..
I have tried this with MU (which works great most of the time) and also my own homemade basic MIDI template.

If I have two iPads running Lemur, it only adds to the latency, as expected. I have ordered an iConnectMIDI because I need this to be tight.. .

Only problem is I want OSC!!!!!
I am loving how MU just picks up my ableton sessions, even lets me mix the kit pieces in my V-Drum kit AND trigger other samples, with almost NO setup.

Though I am (again) realizing that I may just need to make my own template (for something like mixing my drum kit within ableton) and go for a wired setup, via MIDI, at least for now.

Is anyone using a kickass router on stage? how can I really use OSC in this environment?