rtpMIDI problem / Software alternative to rtpMIDI?

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
voyagingmind
rtpMIDI problem / Software alternative to rtpMIDI?

Post by voyagingmind » 18 Dec 2011 12:35

I'm using the latest rtpMIDI (1.0.6.220).

I have no problem connecting my iPad over my WIFI router, or ad hoc to my desktops WIFI.

Whenever I use lemur, ac-7 core, WI Guitar, and make quick controller / fader changes, some type of packet loss/buffer overflow occurs and control data is no longer received by my DAW, and resumes 5-20 seconds later.

I can use lemur to a degree, but must be very careful not to 'overdo' it. (normal use really)

As you can imagine, this is highly frustrating.

Since I've tried both wifi router, and adhoc to my desktop, and also several daws and ios apps, I'm fairly sure it's an rtpMIDI problem.

I was just wondering if anyone has experienced similar packet loss issues, or any would has a suggest to solve this problem.

I considered an ipad MIDI connect kit, but I really prefer wireless and using OSC instead of just MIDI.

Any ideas or suggestions would be highly appreciated since I can't seem to find any information on the matter, and havn't heard back from the rtpMIDI developer.

Thank you in advance

nick_liine
Liine Staff

Re: rtpMIDI problem / Software alternative to rtpMIDI?

Post by nick_liine » 18 Dec 2011 14:48

Bluetooth seriously interferes with Wi-Fi. Make sure Bluetooth is off on both the iPad and computer.

Lemur does not use rtpmidi.

To use MIDI over Wi-Fi you need to use the Lemur Daemon and some form of virtual MIDI cable (MIDI Yoke, loopmidi or loopbe for example).

To use OSC you just need to make sure your iPad and laptop are on the same network (preferably ad-hoc for low latency and jitter) and then assign your OSC targets/ports. Have a look at this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBBZrgPfd7M

Hope this helps. Best regards,
Nick

voyagingmind

Post by voyagingmind » 18 Dec 2011 15:49

Thank you for your help and kind reply.

It actually did work with rtpMIDI by using its virtualMIDI port as a way to communicate with DAW. But I didn't understand the Daemon, and thought it work through core-midi.

But if I understand correctly, here's my problem.

1. I create a virtual MIDI port with loopMIDI e.g. called 'LemurWIFIMIDI'
2. Start the Lemur Daemon.
3. Start Lemur on the iPad
4. The iPad is recognized by the Lemur Daemon and assigns random MIDI Ports on my computer.
5. In the Lemur iPad app I set MIDI 0 in/out to the 'LemurMIDIWIFI' port i created with loopMIDI
6. I start my DAW, want to select LemurMIDIWIFI ports as a new controller device, but my DAW(s) give me an alert that these ports are already taken

I'm sure it's me. But with all these programs/hosts/servers and the recent confusion with core-midi, ad-hoc, etc etc my head's spinning a bit, and I believe i'm overlooking something simple in logic.

I've looked at the videos, read the manuals, I'm sure I'll eventually get it on my own, but I'd also really appreciate any help getting there since I've been working at this for 2 days now.

p.s. bluetooth is/was deactivated, i was aware of that problem, but thanks for the tip

nick_liine
Liine Staff

Post by nick_liine » 18 Dec 2011 16:13

You're right, if I'm not mistaken rtpMIDI does have loopMIDI virtual ports built-in.

Make sure you're using a DIFFERENT port for input and output. Virtual cables by their nature are bi-directional. If you're using the same one for both directions you're going to get nasty MIDI feedback, which could be perceived as network packet loss.

Best regards,
Nick
voyagingmind wrote:Thank you for your help and kind reply.

It actually did work with rtpMIDI by using its virtualMIDI port as a way to communicate with DAW. But I didn't understand the Daemon, and thought it work through core-midi.

But if I understand correctly, here's my problem.

1. I create a virtual MIDI port with loopMIDI e.g. called 'LemurWIFIMIDI'
2. Start the Lemur Daemon.
3. Start Lemur on the iPad
4. The iPad is recognized by the Lemur Daemon and assigns random MIDI Ports on my computer.
5. In the Lemur iPad app I set MIDI 0 in/out to the 'LemurMIDIWIFI' port i created with loopMIDI
6. I start my DAW, want to select LemurMIDIWIFI ports as a new controller device, but my DAW(s) give me an alert that these ports are already taken

I'm sure it's me. But with all these programs/hosts/servers and the recent confusion with core-midi, ad-hoc, etc etc my head's spinning a bit, and I believe i'm overlooking something simple in logic.

I've looked at the videos, read the manuals, I'm sure I'll eventually get it on my own, but I'd also really appreciate any help getting there since I've been working at this for 2 days now.

p.s. bluetooth is/was deactivated, i was aware of that problem, but thanks for the tip

voyagingmind

Post by voyagingmind » 18 Dec 2011 16:45

Thank you very much Nick.

The problem was solved by creating and using two different virtual ports as you suggested.

MIDI communication is very fluid no matter how many bouncing y,z balls or faders I control.

You guys did a great Job of making Lemur for iOS. I wasn't even familiar with the Legacy version until recently, and having lemur on the iPad is like having xmas a few weeks early.

Although lemur has been around for several years, having lemur on iOS makes it so much more accessible. And in that sense it's a game changer. I know it is to me. Powerful editor, fine control, super smooth gfx refresh rates. An interactive controller dream come true.

Thanks for getting me started!