same controls on different pages, global values?

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
Swokki
same controls on different pages, global values?

Post by Swokki » 13 Dec 2011 15:19

Hi there,

I've been trying to het something simple to work but no luck so far.

There are multiple pages in my template and on some pages I want to have the same global control over a midi cc. Master volume of ableton for instance, or mute buttons. If I make copies of the buttons and assign them to the same CC it works fine but when I switch pages within my template the same fader does not follow this action.

So I can imagine I could write a script which contains all the CC values which I would address with other controls, which in return adjust their value to the global value.

Thanks,

Paul

Draedus

Re: same controls on different pages, global values?

Post by Draedus » 13 Dec 2011 17:55

One Possible solution would be to right-click over your object and select "Create Alias".

You can then paste this exact copy of your object anywhere you want.
Both objects are basically the same exact object, mirroring the same values, cc settings, etc...

The only down side is you can't modify the second object, only the first. Sometimes it would be nice to have an alias, but where we can resize the alias. Did I just make a feature request? I'm off to the Wishlist!

Hope that help,
Draedus

peterdines

Post by peterdines » 13 Dec 2011 17:57

I'm a noob but I'll hazard a reply - create a tabbed container and put your global controls outside it along one side or the bottom, and your other controls on various tabs inside the container.

edit: oops, NM, the alias method will take less space (no tab bar that way)

Anton
Regular

Post by Anton » 13 Dec 2011 18:04

Perhaps share your patch so we can see what you are trying to do?

Swokki

Post by Swokki » 13 Dec 2011 21:48

The idea is pretty basic, but I'm really just getting to know this software. And understanding this would be a big help.

The patch has two interfaces and each interface has one object. both object need to output MIDI control change 00 (value 0->127) on channel 01 and they both need to do this while both objects know what the current status is and represent it. So when you twist the knob and output this, the fader has to be able to read that information and display the same value in it's own way. So when you dial the knob to 50%, the fader has to go to 50% as well, and the other way around.

So both objects have to listen to a value and at the same time they have to be able to control that value.

Sounds easy, right?

Thanks,

Paul
Attachments
MIDI out.zip
(757Bytes)Downloaded 152 times

pdelges

Post by pdelges » 01 Feb 2012 08:35

Aliases have been introduced with v2, but this technique only works with the same object classes. So a knob and a fader cannot be linked, which is a shame.

Beside using scripts (which is not an option if you want an easy to use, transparent and global system), the only way I found is to resent from MaxMSP (almost) all datas back to the Lemur over OSC. Objects that should share the same value must have the same OSC address.
There are 2 issues with this trick:
  • this generates a lot of network traffic;
  • when an object is moving because of its inertia, it will stop its movement once it receives a value.
If would be nice if objects created with the same OSC address would be considered as aliases internally. I suppose this could be possible for MIDI datas too.

p

drmq

Post by drmq » 19 Jun 2017 19:03

pdelges wrote:Aliases have been introduced with v2, but this technique only works with the same object classes. So a knob and a fader cannot be linked, which is a shame.
I would like to add that when you create an alias you can't even change the size and orientation of the object, so it is really not useful at all.

OT: Liine, how about opening part of the source code of Lemur to make these changes possible? I'd be also happy to participate with donations to add particular features such as this one (for me it would be a no brainer: this and improving the editor would save me many many hours).