Difference between Lemur on iPad and Android tablets

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
XON
Difference between Lemur on iPad and Android tablets

Post by XON » 29 Jan 2018 22:42

Hello,

I've got a laptop MacBook Pro and I would like to use Lemur to send OSC data to an audio application "SuperCollider".
Then I plan to buy a tablet, for the only task to use Lemur. And I've got several questions :

1. Since the iPad is a little bit expensive:), I would like to know if Lemur on an android tablet is as good as on an iPad ? Are there differences ?

2. Even though an ad-hoc connection is possible, in live performances, I would prefer to connect my Mac Book Pro to an Android tablet via a wire Ethernet to send OSC ?
Is it possible ?

3. Would someone recommend a specific Android tablet (10" minimum) that gives the best quality/price ratio to play with the Lemur ?

Many thanks,
Christophe

RichG

Re: Difference between Lemur on iPad and Android tablets

Post by RichG » 07 Feb 2018 20:59

I use Lemur on Android devises exclusively. Main reason is, as you pointed out, the cost of is significantly less.

It seems to work fine on all of the devices I've tried (Nexus 10, Galaxy Prime, Galaxy S3, some generic RCA 7" table)... except for a bug I found which has yet to be addressed (see THIS thread).

There are some pretty inexpensive Android tablets out there. The main issue I've seen with them is the screen. Unless you're looking directly at it with the screen perpendicular to your line of sight, then the image looks like a photographic negative. So, make sure you spend a little more for a nicer screen. Also, if you use the setup with a router, make sure the tablet (and router) can do 5 GHz. I've run into interference problems in the 2.4 GHz range that were solved by going to the 5 GHz range.

You can get an OTG Ethernet to USB adapter like THIS if you don't want to go wireless.

As for a specific tablet, I only have experience with the ones mentioned above. They're antiquated by now so I imagine anything newer is going to be better (not always the case, but I'll make an assumption here). That being said, I'd be willing to give THIS ASUS Zenpad a try.

XON

Re: Difference between Lemur on iPad and Android tablets

Post by XON » 10 Feb 2018 18:16

Thanks so much for your answer.

But the bug "Pad stick ON when device rotate" does not encourage me for buying an android device,
all the more, the support or the fixing of bugs does not seem to be very active or quick...

I sent a mail to the support concerning this bug. we'll see...