How to connect iPad Lemur via USB sinc cable in Windows?

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
Perun
How to connect iPad Lemur via USB sinc cable in Windows?

Post by Perun » 09 May 2017 17:56

Hi,

I own Mac & PC machines:

1. When I connect the iPad (Lemur) with the USB sync cable on Mac (OS X) the Daemon utility displays the Daemon i/o ports and I can connect iPad to any DAW.

2. If I connect the iPad (Lemur) with the USB sync cable on PC (Windows 7) the Daemon utility does not display the Daemon Ports so I cannot connect the iPad to any MIDI app?
Any clues?

RichG

Re: How to connect iPad Lemur via USB sinc cable in Windows?

Post by RichG » 09 May 2017 22:06

Do you have a midi router (like LoopMidi) running on the PC? if so, read on... (if not, then install LoopMidi).

Instead of having your PC connect to the iPad, try connecting the iPad to the PC.

Open up Lemur on your iPad, then go to settings. Scroll down until you get to the MIDI assignment section. Tap on the Input & Output for Midi 0 and see if it gives you any options.

Perun

Post by Perun » 10 May 2017 07:50

Thanks for your time RichG!

I use LoopMIDI and it works with only WiFi.
I wonder why on Mac OS X I can use a direct USB sinc cable and the Daemon can display that.
In Windows the iPad MIDI Target settings give an option for example:
John Smiths - iPad(Local) ; Network Session 1

Unfortunately when I choose Network Session 1 as an output (To:) setting, Windows or LoopMIDI cannot detect that, Daemon as well.
Note: The iPad/Lemur MIDI Target 0 displays the LoopMidi Port A or Port B but that works with only WiFi!

Did you try to switch OFF the WiFi router and connect iPad to the PC with the USB sync(lightening) cable and have direct MIDI in your Windows applications?

Sometimes I'm away with my mobile equipment Laptop & iPad without any router WiFi so I need a direct USB cable connection which is rock solid by the way.

RichG

Post by RichG » 10 May 2017 15:52

Did you try to switch OFF the WiFi router and connect iPad to the PC with the USB sync(lightening) cable and have direct MIDI in your Windows applications?
I didn't try iPad to PC direct connected. I only have Lemur running on Android devices at the moment.

I think the heart of the issue is you're trying to do a network connection from iPad to PC over a Lightning to USB cable connection. The Lemur Daemon wants to make a UDP connection on ports 8001 & 8003. A PC can do that connection via the Ethernet port, but not the USB port without special USB/Ethernet adapters. So you may need more hardware (Perhaps several pieces as seen HERE) to get the PC communicating directly with the iPad.

Another option where no extra hardware is needed might be to create an ad-hoc network. Check out the links in THIS connectivity guide.

Perun

Post by Perun » 11 May 2017 19:50

RichG,
Thanks for the reply!
I'm familiar with all you say. I posted that topic to be sure I'm not missing anything.
It seems that Mac OS X is better than Windows regarding a direct USB sync cable direct connection.