Editor won't connect to device anymore

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
RichG
Editor won't connect to device anymore

Post by RichG » 05 May 2017 15:53

I've been using Lemur on an Android device and the Lemur Editor on a PC running Windows 10 without issues for a few weeks now. Last night when I went to use it I could not get the editor to connect to my device.

I have the Lemur Daemon running. If I open the Daemon to make connections (through LoopMidi), it doesn't see my Android device... HOWEVER, I can go into the MIDI settings on my Android device and select loopMIDI Port for my input/output on MIDI 0. After doing that the connections show up in the Daemon, loopMIDI shows message bytes are counting up, and MidiOx shows the messages received.

Even with Lemur Daemon showing the connections are made, the editor still can't connect to the device. I've tried manually setting the IP address to equal the address of the device, but that didn't work.

I tried uninstalling/reinstalling Lemur on both the PC and the device, but that didn't work.

I switched to a different PC and everything was working there within 30 seconds.

The only thing I can possibly trace it back to was I installed drivers for a MidiSport 2x2... Everything seemed to be working up until that point... but I tried uninstalling that and it made no difference.
I'm thinking the MidiSport 2x2 installation overwrote some DLL file needed by the Lemur editor and that could be causing the issue.

I attached a screen shot showing the connection being made through the Deamon, and the midi output in MidiOx, yet the connection window in the editor still doesn't see the device.

I've seen quite a few "Editor won't connect" type posts in my searches, but the ones I've found were specific to Mac.
Attachments
LemurNoConnection.png
LemurNoConnection.png (131.03KiB)Viewed 2617 times

phase_change
Regular

Re: Editor won't connect to device anymore

Post by phase_change » 05 May 2017 23:29

Try running windows updates, uninstall/reinstall your drivers, make sure nothing is bound to your ports, possibly reflash your BIOS (Dell Command Update, Lenovo System Update etc.). *Note: you're doing this at your own risk and I'm not liable if you brick your machine.* If you want to pay me, I can set up a remote session with you and get it working on your machine.
Have you tried turning it off and on again?

RichG

Post by RichG » 08 May 2017 15:27

I did a check for updates and everything was up to date.

I did a netstat -a and saw ports 8001 & 8003 showed up as a UDP connection when connect the the Lemur Daemon via the device settings. Even though the UDP connections are made, the device did not show up in the connection list in the editor.

On the computer that is connecting, I see the same 8001 & 8003 connections. When I make the connection to the device in the editor the 8003 goes away and a TCP connection on port 8002 shows up.

I played around a bit more with the non-connecting computer by putting in the device IP Address into the 'IP :' field. Much to my surprise, it worked! I know I tried this before, but maybe I didn't have the correct IP Address?

It's still a little quirky... the Lemur Daemon on the non-working computer won't see the Lemur device on the network. I have to do the MIDI Setup on the device, then in the editor I have to manually enter the IP address.

MattHogan

Post by MattHogan » 15 Jun 2017 11:29

Editors should be very careful while connecting to different devices. They should follow some security features before connecting to the third party devices.

th_ldu

Post by th_ldu » 17 Jun 2017 13:28

I noticed that since a very recent update of Windows the Lemur no longer receives some information.
I made an interface to drive my Cubase (8.5) and all that is mapped to MIDI 1 works very well in both directions but all that is assigned to MIDI 0 (especially everything concerning the Mackie generic controls) send data from Lemur but don't receive the information from Cubase. So the SurfaceLCD doesn't work as the generic fader for the volume/pan/etc and probably everything based on the Mackie Control.
I'm running on a PC with OS 10 Home version 1703 (OS Build is 15063.413)

Does someone at Line follow the latest windows updates and possible bugs they could generate ?

th_ldu

Post by th_ldu » 18 Jun 2017 10:36

It seems to work fine now.
Doesn't work for two days and go back to normal without reason. ?!?

drmq

Post by drmq » 19 Jun 2017 19:15

th_ldu wrote:It seems to work fine now.
Doesn't work for two days and go back to normal without reason. ?!?
Personally I have given up connecting to the device via WiFi. I've wasted hours trying to get it working in Windows without success.
Now I connect it with the Camera Connection Kit to a MIDI port and when I have to edit it, I upload it with itunes. It is a sacred PITA.

If only Lemur supported Dropbox or FTP, to be able to sync my files of my PC (where I edit) and the Ipad (where I play)...