Documentation

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
irked
Documentation

Post by irked » 20 Mar 2017 16:33

So i've been banging my head against the Lemur User's Guide (3.1vFinal.4) and the 5.0.3 Addendum, and I'm wondering if there's anything more in-depth that's blessed by Liine - some scripting documentation would be very helpful.

This thing is still supported, right? The app store seems to be 50/50 on that..

leehu
Regular

Re: Documentation

Post by leehu » 06 Apr 2017 17:48

personally, I think it's dead... time for someone to step up and produce a new controller system. i'm sure they'd have lots of buyers for something modern, not buggy, and interaction form the creators

phase_change
Regular

Post by phase_change » 10 Apr 2017 16:10

irked wrote:So i've been banging my head against the Lemur User's Guide (3.1vFinal.4) and the 5.0.3 Addendum, and I'm wondering if there's anything more in-depth that's blessed by Liine - some scripting documentation would be very helpful.

This thing is still supported, right? The app store seems to be 50/50 on that..
Yep, it's still supported. Documentation hasn't been updated in a while and it's not great, but it's helpful enough if you're patient and have some experience with other scripting languages. There are people here that will help you out when we have the time. You can also search for old forum posts that might answer your questions.
leehu wrote:personally, I think it's dead... time for someone to step up and produce a new controller system. i'm sure they'd have lots of buyers for something modern, not buggy, and interaction form the creators
Liine is a company with about 10 employees. I'm p sure most of their developers also have to act as support for the app. I work at a software development company in IT. We're fortunate enough to be large enough to have a separate support department from our engineers. With smaller companies, it's not uncommon to have an employee doing QA, development, and support.

If you want something simple that works, TouchOSC is pretty great and will not have as many issues as you see here. If you want something that is customizable and with a supported scripting language, Lemur is one way to go. With more moving parts, you get more complexity, and potentially more things that break. I've heard really great things about Bitwig and that might be something you'd be interested in if you're looking for a simple solution. I'm kind of all in on Ableton, so I'm not looking to purchase a new DAW.

I don't really think this forum is a great place to voice negativity, though. I get it's frustrating if you're new to this, but posting publicly something is dead when it's clearly not isn't helping anyone, especially the people who are happy here.
Have you tried turning it off and on again?

nick_liine
Liine Staff

Post by nick_liine » 14 Apr 2017 04:25

Hi,

Thanks for your interest. Lemur is very much alive, we have been working on a sizeable update for quite some time. Apologies for the delay.

The scripting documentation, while perhaps challenging in its format, is comprehensive. Every single function and all aspects of the syntax are covered in the User Guide and Addendum. However, I do understand that the manual is not the easiest introduction to the language. I setup the Liine Wiki a while ago — https://liine.net/wiki/start — it's been a long-term project of mine to use this as a long-term solution to update and improve documentation.

What are you missing in the documentation? What would you like to see?

In the meantime, indeed the Forum is not the best place to get support. A user forum is exactly what it says, it is a forum by users to help each other. You can find some answers there and also send an email via the form.

Cheers,
Nicolas