best DAW for Lemur

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
phase_change
Regular
Re: best DAW for Lemur

Post by phase_change » 22 Jan 2017 18:34

I feel like I stirred up something that probably is best buried deep in the forum - the fact that everyone comes here and says "can I haz free example plz?" and the debate over creating free content/content that cannot really be protected that adds value to a paid for application. I feel like if Liine offered a runtime for free like Cycling '74 does, it would be an easier pill to swallow. What Oldgearguy is saying is true about what your time is worth to you.

I really get not wanting to spend any money ever - I was a poor musician/student for many, many years and have just recently reached the lower-echelon of the middle class. When you're eating ramen, beans, and rice every day for years, giving someone $5-15 is insane/impossible.

There are a few questions I ask myself when thinking about whether paying somebody to do something: how many hours of my life does this cost i.e. how much is the price divided by my ability to earn money in an hour? Am I able to be making money during the time I am currently working on this? - If not the first question is irrelevant. Can I actually afford to buy this right now or will I be over my budget? Am I developing a skill that I will later use to make money? Can I sell my work once I am done with it i.e. does it create value? If so, why is it better than existing options?
Have you tried turning it off and on again?

freepuppies

Post by freepuppies » 26 Jan 2017 18:08

Okay, so first of all relax man.

The guy selling his solution only has support for a couple synths which I don't own. So it's not worth it as a product only as something to reverse engineer.

I don't mind teaching myself to program - I enjoy the challenge (I made my own Lemur templates).

Yes, people asking for free stuff is bad. I wasnt asking for that. I was asking to form a community to solve a common problem with an open source solution as opposed to a proprietary one. Nothing wrong with that.

phase_change
Regular

Post by phase_change » 28 Jan 2017 00:01

freepuppies wrote:Okay, so first of all relax man.
I'm p sure nobody here isn't relaxed...

Oldgearguy is a v talented Lemur user and in another thread I brought up this topic and even referenced an older thread that apparently destroyed this forum in 2013. I would hate to lose him as a resource since he is one of the few ppl I learn from that still frequents this board.
freepuppies wrote:I was asking to form a community to solve a common problem with an open source solution as opposed to a proprietary one. Nothing wrong with that.
The thing is if you work in the IT field or as a software engineer, you can do something like this alone faster than you can with somebody who doesn't do this for a living. This isn't something that meets a need I have and I did give you some really good resources to get started with.

Vas

Post by Vas » 28 Jan 2017 00:30

Is it helpful to use Bidule which
Runs as OSC client and server
http://www.plogue.com/products/bidule/
or other modular VST that supports OSC?

I am not saying that Bidule is up to the task
but if it is may help DAW's lacking the OSC
support.
23" 10-touch Monitor, iPad Air - IconnectMIDI2+, Windows 10- 64bit, GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R Rev 2, Xeon W3690, 12GB RAM, Firebox, Cubase 7.5, Sonar Platinum, S1 2, Reaper 5, Komplete 8, Lumur, Iris 2.

phase_change
Regular

Post by phase_change » 28 Jan 2017 19:27

Bidule looks like a poor man's version of Max. If you want to use something like this, use UDP send and receive objects and skip this.

There are two things that could possibly be happening. Either Bidule is taking OSC and translating to midi (most likely) or it is taking OSC and communicating with the DAW via its API (kinda unlikely). LiveOSC already exists for Ableton and is free. M4L includes objects for communicating w/ Ableton's API and is well-documented. It's hard to imagine the engineers at Bidule making it compatible with every DAW on the market via each DAW's API.

oldgearguy
Regular

Post by oldgearguy » 28 Jan 2017 21:09

freepuppies wrote:Okay, so first of all relax man.

The guy selling his solution only has support for a couple synths which I don't own. So it's not worth it as a product only as something to reverse engineer.

I don't mind teaching myself to program - I enjoy the challenge (I made my own Lemur templates).

Yes, people asking for free stuff is bad. I wasnt asking for that. I was asking to form a community to solve a common problem with an open source solution as opposed to a proprietary one. Nothing wrong with that.

I've been really busy, but I just wanted to say that if this info was provided in the original post you might have seen different replies. It's really hard to know what a user has tried and what they know if they don't give as much information about what they've done and explored and exactly what problem they are trying to solve.

freepuppies

Post by freepuppies » 29 Jan 2017 01:57

Okay, I will be better about that in the future. Thank you all for the help and resources.

drain

Post by drain » 30 Jan 2017 08:14

so to answer all the suggestions :geek:

- im aware of touchable, i bought it years ago and its the best experience i ever had, never seen a fader react like this, its the best of all, even better than a real console motorized fader. the problem there it is not working well anymore and lacks updates and looks pretty dead since a long time, although after contacting every source i could find 1 responded me a week ago and told me they are working on a new version.

- tried xmonsta and bought that as well, the problem there is the pretty much the same, no support and looks dead. and it didn't worked the way i was thinking of, as an example using osc does not update the parameters on preset change on every plugin like it does on normal remote scripts

-i tried reaper and it has a really nice OSC implementation but cant find out how to limit the parameters displayed like in ableton, which in many cases are well over 1000 and you have to flip thru tons ofs banks which makes it unusable for plugin control which is my main goal

-then there is logic and the logic remote, its not bad but not configurable at all and the faders and knobs are just not so pleasant to use

-TouchOSC template that works with logic, but touchOSC is so limited in its capabilities and no customization in logic

-max4live, no success

-livecontrol (TouchOSC version) yeah its what i wanted in regard of plugin control but it works over TouchOSC only and that lacks functions i really need :cry:

-livecontrol2 cant find a way to use that to make my own template from

-shoved, pretty good but parameter value change is a mess like a v-pot in a mackie emulation

all i ever wanted was 8 parameters at a time (preferably 16 or more) with a fader/knob and text label that follows currently selected track/device and updates on preset/device/track change..
something control scripts in ableton actually do normally

i had this working with liveosc and i even got it working on live 9.7, but can't set it up correctly in lemur and it feels buggy or I'm just to dumb. after using the touchOSC template and finding out piece by piece some messages i managed to come pretty close to what i want, all it was missing is the follow blue hand capability /sigh
lemosc.jpg
lemosc.jpg (14.31KiB)Viewed 2027 times
the faders run over OSC so they feel snappy and precise, pretty close to touchable.
the labels display the name of the parameters but with a ' at start and end of the name (minor thing)
but i can change device only over the liveOSC to change the controlled device, it does not have a blue hand that follows, and having set up a apc40 or similar it does not follow the selection....

because ableton changed the blue hand behavior at a point it was not "on" by default for every script anymore
there is this fix for some scripts by simply adding this line
"self._device_selection_follows_track_selection = True"
in liveOSC in various places but I'm not a coder and could not make it work in liveOSC

to be honest i bought the iPad just for this reason and lemur a couple of years ago, but still im not able to get this working how i want

it should be a simple task but its apparently not possible, for me

is there anyone that can help me out to get this working how i want ?

as you see im not afraid to pay for it and ready to change daw for it as well

clearly ipads,iphones and androids are the most sold midi/OSC controller of all time and the possibilities are endless but the missing link is the implementation in daws

in a perfect world liine would give us a midi remote script which does everything like liveOSC and more so we can design our own templates with it and the customization power of Lemur can unleash its potential

or in logic 3th party developers can make templates for it, like touchosc did but its not customizable.....

liine could do this i think for many daws, provide the missing link :idea:

and get paid for it accordingly :twisted:

wall of text end :lol: