Can Lemur display a list based on OSC string input?

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
phase_change
Regular
Re: Can Lemur display a list based on OSC string input?

Post by phase_change » 19 Jan 2017 05:38

Phil999 wrote: this thread was the end of the Lemur forum. Many people left after that discussion/disaster. People with great knowledge and experience, and goodwill to share.

It's strange. One individual was able to destroy an entire community. Just like that, with one stroke, with one single idea. He didn't do it on purpose, he is - in the end - just a programmer who has to pay the rent. Which did not conform to the way Lemur users shared their ideas and knowledge just for the sake of Lemur, for the sake of music.

While it is sad, it is also a reality. Even Macciza who wrote the manual left the forum.

The good thing is that we still have Lemur, and can use the Lemur and Jazzmutant forums to build our stuff. Just look at it from a positive side.
Dang... didn't know that happened. I didn't buy Lemur until 2015... I was aware of it in 2012, but too broke to afford a tablet at the time and had a failed attempt at building my own multi-touch controller using open-source software. I got a response from Macciza one time in 2015, so I think he might still be lurking.

Sadly after all this discussion, I might "check out" here, too.
Have you tried turning it off and on again?

oldgearguy
Regular

Post by oldgearguy » 19 Jan 2017 11:03

Until yesterday, the Liine people hadn't logged into the forum since Oct/Nov of last year. Nick logged in yesterday for the first time in a while. Maybe Liine is going to announce something at NAMM? (or not)

If the handful of people still contributing to this forum stopped logging in, it would die off. That mega-discussion really polarized the community, but again, it was driven in the first place by Liine's business model. They had software that was made available freely in the past to help them sell hardware; kind of like how Steve Jobs used music to sell more iPods. The scripts were open and the development platform was open because the cost of entry was the hardware. Once they decided to move to the iPad (and then Android devices, etc) the only way to make money was to sell licenses for each device. Again, the open scripts and development environment was a draw since all you needed was a license and you could start using/developing apps.

However, they didn't carry the model all the way through like Apple did - there's no LemurStore with apps for sale. As a result, the whole thing falls more closely into the typical Open Source model you see on-line with other coding projects. There's a repository of stuff freely available, and any updates are made by a handful of individuals that feel motivated to contribute. The Lemur model isn't big enough and gaining enough traction to become the Linux of music apps, so it's more likely to continue to die a slow death as sales fall off and people lose interest.

At this point it's too late to undo it - the scripts are open source and out there for folks. That mega discussion was really born out of frustration between folks that thought everything was a derivation of past freely available source and those that felt that their time and effort should be compensated. That's a debate that has no right answer, so we're left with what we have now.

I personally log in from time to time to check on what's happening, but often I don't have the cycles free to really dig in on a coding effort or I'm somewhere that doesn't have Lemur running and available to use to make a concrete example. There's no guarantee that I'll see a question and there's no guarantee that the others that chime in will see it or have time to respond.

Liine has not been helpful at providing lower-level details on how Lemur works to assist experienced users in creating the best most efficient solutions nor have they been quick to fix bugs in the app or the editor nor to try and improve on some significant limitations (anyone else sad about a 256 byte sysex buffer limitation?). If they're not willing to step up and continue improvements, why should the community continue to provide free troubleshooting to help them sell more copies of Lemur?

phase_change
Regular

Post by phase_change » 20 Jan 2017 00:14

oldgearguy wrote:Until yesterday, the Liine people hadn't logged into the forum since Oct/Nov of last year. Nick logged in yesterday for the first time in a while. Maybe Liine is going to announce something at NAMM? (or not)
Nope... the only reason he signed in was to delete a bot (blueberryjerry) I emailed support about. The bot had made over 150 posts before he was deleted.
Have you tried turning it off and on again?