Android wired midi

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
robflate
Android wired midi

Post by robflate » 08 Dec 2016 14:20

I've recently delved into using Lemur on Samsung Android tablets using a wired midi connection and I thought I'd post my results because not all Android tablets are created equal! These are all UK devices (Samsung country code = BTU). My starting point was this page on the Liine wiki. It refers to the new feature in Android 6 Marshmallow that allows USB Midi without resorting to USB tethering or USB2Go cables. If that didn't work I tried the previous USB Tethering method. For reasons unknown to me, Android tablet makers feel the need to remove/hide features making it very hard to follow software makers guides because what should work doesn't depending on your device.

Results below;

SM-T800 Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5"

- Product Info
- Current OS: Android 6.0.1 “Marshmallow”
- Does USB Midi work: NO
- Does USB Tethering work: NO

SM-T700 Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4"

- Product Info

SM-T810 Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7"

- Product Info
- Does USB Midi work: YES

SM-P600 Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1"

- Product Info

SM-T285 Samsung Galaxy Tab A6 7"

- Product Info
- Current OS: Android 5.1 “Lollipop”
- Does USB Midi work: NO (not supported in current OS version)

Conclusion

Errr, use iOS! Joking aside, I tested 5 Samsung tablets and only 1 worked in Lemur using USB Midi. I'd suggest you go to a shop and test if the Android tablet is on Android 6+ and if it is test wether USB Midi actually works (not just if it has the option). Most of the tablets I tested actually had the option to select USB Midi but the connection did not appear in Lemur. Alternatively, check if the tablet supports USB tethering.