Making a self contained project

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
auralsculpture
Making a self contained project

Post by auralsculpture » 16 Nov 2016 21:35

I am using Composer Tools Pro (fantastic tool) and wanting to make some custom controllers for it. The tick is that such controllers need to be entirely self contained within their own container. I find that most of the things I want to do, e.g. custom midi etc have elements and scripts at "project level". The attached is not mine but illustrates the problem.
How can I get all the elements into a single container for import into one of Composer Tool's user spaces?
Attachments
MIDI_chan_CustomMIDI.jzml
(6.94KiB)Downloaded 124 times

phase_change
Regular

Re: Making a self contained project

Post by phase_change » 16 Nov 2016 23:27

Click the container and then select create expression/script/custom midi
Attachments
bagel.jzml
(2.08KiB)Downloaded 120 times
Have you tried turning it off and on again?

auralsculpture

Post by auralsculpture » 17 Nov 2016 21:30

phase_change wrote:Click the container and then select create expression/script/custom midi
OK, so in the example, is there a simple way to "convert" the project to bring in into a container? It does not seem possible to cut and paste ...

phase_change
Regular

Post by phase_change » 18 Nov 2016 03:15

I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you trying to take an existing project and move it into a container? If so, it's possible, but kind of a pain if you have a lot of objects in your template. The easiest way to do it imo is to use your mouse to select all the elements in the center panel of the editor, copy, make a container, and then paste inside a container. You'll have to reposition everything, but you can save time by using the numbers for x y w h in the objects panel in the lower left hand corner. You'll probably still have to make some minor adjustments to make up for the space the container is taking. After that, copy the scripts/custom midi/expressions and past into the container. The only part that is kind of annoying is repositioning everything, but still it shouldn't take more than a half hour to an hour to do.
Attachments
MIDI_chan_CustomMIDI (1).jzml
(7.34KiB)Downloaded 128 times
Last edited by phase_change on 18 Nov 2016 05:56, edited 1 time in total.

auralsculpture

Post by auralsculpture » 18 Nov 2016 05:30

Thats great I understand it now, I had misinterpreted Container to mean Interface, yes its a fiddly but I think I can make it work for my project.

thanks for your help

Colin

phase_change
Regular

Post by phase_change » 18 Nov 2016 05:56

Glad to help, my man

Scott

auralsculpture

Post by auralsculpture » 20 Nov 2016 21:25

I have inverted the "knob controls fader" idea so the fader sets the CC number. However the knob also sends the set CC value from the know (0).

I discovered this when sending the output to a MIDI monitor in Plague - haven't figured out how to monitor the clout values directly yet ...
Attachments
littleknob.jzml
(6.28KiB)Downloaded 112 times

phase_change
Regular

Post by phase_change » 21 Nov 2016 21:10

Looking at it quickly there's a syntax error for the ctlout monitor. It should be Knob2.cltout(). I haven't used ctlout() before, but I'm p sure it's an array, so you would enter {Knob2.cltout()[0],Knob2.cltout()[1],Knob2.cltout()[2],Knob2.cltout()[3]}.

There's something weird going on here and I'm trying to sort it out, but will have to take a look later on today. The template, before I changed anything, was spamming values to the patch I use to monitor incoming midi in Max/MSP. Now I can't get Max/MSP to get any input from it at all. One other thing I'm sure you'll have to change is set Knob2.x target to none.

phase_change
Regular

Post by phase_change » 22 Nov 2016 05:08

Well, it's working, but still spamming values. At one point, it wasn't spamming values continuously, but there were still lots of duplicate values coming through. I guess it doesn't really matter if there's a continuous stream of midi data. I honestly don't think this is the best way to do this. I think you'd be better off using a custom midi message. You need to take the x output from Knob2 and multiply by 127.

As for the MonitorCtlout goes, I can't get it to work the way you want it to. From playing around with it and a pads object, it looks like it just shows whether the message is on or off using 0 or 1 to represent the state. This doesn't really matter because ctlout() = Knob2.x*127, so I just put that in for the value with a precision of 0.

Also, sorry for messing up the layout. I was using an iPhone 6 to debug, so it got stretched weird when I converted it back to iPad layout.
Attachments
littleknobwithcustommidi.jzml
This is the way I would do this, does not spam values.
(5.93KiB)Downloaded 125 times
littleknobedit.jzml
This is the one with ctlout() that spams values.
(6.27KiB)Downloaded 116 times

auralsculpture

Post by auralsculpture » 22 Nov 2016 06:04

custom midi did the trick for what I need, thanks. I even understand it too, which is a bonus ;-)

Colin