Livecontrol 2 NO COMPUTER MOD/ XYZ pad record/loop/snapshot

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
whitelobster
Livecontrol 2 NO COMPUTER MOD/ XYZ pad record/loop/snapshot

Post by whitelobster » 16 Sep 2016 19:32

Hello

I am trying to create a controller using lemur that is basically the modulate section of Livecontrol 2 isolated and made to run ***WITHOUT BEING CONNECTED TO LIVE OR A COMPUTER****. My end goal is to have an XY pad interface with multiple balls that runs on an iphone with no computer connected that can send xyz data as midi cc to multiple ios audio apps and would also like to be able to record,playback, and loop movement of the individual balls, would also like to be able to store ball positions as snapshots.

Does anyone

A. Know how I can modify the livecontrol 2 patch so that it can run independently of being connected to live? Right now I have it sending midi cc to other ios apps but I havent figured out how to make the recorded ball motion playback/LFOs run, I believe they are waiting for input from ableton's clock to start

B. Know of another lemur patch or app that could be retrofitted for this purpose? I tried working with the modules in the Recording Objects pack below but was unable to get the record function to work with more than 1 ball in the multiball, also have been unable to figure out how to implement recording/playing back movement of each ball individually

https://liine.net/en/community/user-library/view/627/

If you have any ideas/suggestions how make such an XYZ controller a reality on iphone please share any advice would be infinitely appreciated

Thanks!

phase_change
Regular

Re: Livecontrol 2 NO COMPUTER MOD/ XYZ pad record/loop/snaps

Post by phase_change » 17 Sep 2016 20:42

I looked at some of the scripts in Livecontrol 2 once, it's probably the most complex template anyone has made. You'd probably be better off starting from scratch. The reason I say this is because I'm assuming Livecontrol 2 is using Ableton's API. I'm not sure what your programming experience is, but as a general rule, most of the time spent on updating someone else's code is trying to understand what they did in the first place. If it's just waiting for clock data, read the user guide addendum with the section on clock data and see what you can make happen.

As far as recording stuff in a Lemur template goes, I've made a couple of patches that store information about the objects and whether or not a pad was on or off. The way I've done this is to create an array that stored the data and was updated by another script. This is where I would start if I were trying to build something that did what you're doing.
Have you tried turning it off and on again?

phase_change
Regular

Re: Livecontrol 2 NO COMPUTER MOD/ XYZ pad record/loop/snaps

Post by phase_change » 17 Sep 2016 21:18

I just started picking through that patch you shared. It's more or less what I figured - it's storing the values in variables. Afaik this is the only way to store data in Lemur. If it were me, I'd start going through that patch and make notes of where all of the expressions are used in the scripts. You can make notes by either using // or /* */. Figure out what each script does and what each expression is storing and you'll be able to do what you're trying to do. If I were to guess, the reason you're only able to store values for only one multiball is because of the expressions valuesX1-X5 and valuesY1-Y5 and the script recording(input) and the reason it will only play back for one multiball is because of those expressions and the script playback(). There's probably some other things going on in the patch you need to change, I'm just trying to get you looking in the right direction. The part of me that likes a challenge wants to build a really simple demo for you. But the part of me that needs to make money so I can eat and the part of me that thinks Lemur really isn't great at doing things like this, i.e. anything other than being a GUI, know I have nothing to gain from helping you.
Have you tried turning it off and on again?