Physics Weirdness

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
willsanquil
Physics Weirdness

Post by willsanquil » 08 Dec 2011 20:09

Basically, I'm having problems with getting lemur objects (multiball, ring area etc) to respond 'properly' (or what I think is proper) to physics.

I am working through the JazzMutant Youtube series on Lemur and Ableton and MIDI mapping here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyhwVTFM ... ideo_title

I was able to follow along and make the faders work in ableton, I could make the multiball control parameters, but I ran into a strange problem with the friction settings of the multiball...

In the video, he has you put in a multiball object, then tie a fader to that multiball's friction parameter.

So, I add a fader, call it Friction - I add a multiball object.

I set the multiball physics to mass-spring, I change the friction to Friction.x

Now, when I move the fader it does have the intended effect of modifying the friction.

However, now I want to go ahead and set what the X and Y of the multiball is doing. So, in the MIDI panel of the multiball I have X and the Target by default is none. I need to change this to MIDI 0, change the Message to Control Change, and assign it a unique controller number. If I do this, I will indeed be able to map the multiball to something in Ableton...but the physics breaks.

As soon as I set the target to MIDI 0 - the ball instantly stops moving and the fader no longer has an effect at all. If I set the target to anything besides MIDI 0 (1,2,3, none etc) the physics will un-break.

I do not understand this, because I'm following the exact steps he's taking and getting different results. Do I have my MIDI in and out from MIDI Yoke and the Lemur Daemon not set up correctly?

I have included a screenshot of my ableton settings and my lemur daemon settings with the lemur editor in the background. Any help figuring this out would be very much appreciated!
Attachments
Lemur Problem.jpg
Lemur Problem.jpg (254.46KiB)Viewed 4322 times

willsanquil

Re: Physics Weirdness

Post by willsanquil » 08 Dec 2011 20:14

Doing some more testing, and yeah as soon as I set the X or Y data of a MultiBall or a RingArea to MIDI 0, the physics get all weird - but as soon as I change it back, they fix themselves...but they're no longer sending any data so they're useless :shock:

I have also gone through and changed my MIDI channels that I've been sending and receiving to/from to different MIDI channels and this behavior replicates.

nick_liine
Liine Staff

Post by nick_liine » 08 Dec 2011 21:34

HI Will,

I think you are running into MIDI feedback. MIDI Yoke, and other similar virtual MIDI cables, are bi-directional. You need to choose a different one for input and output. In your case, you have MIDI Yoke 1 on both.

Let me know if that helps.

Cheers,
Nick

willsanquil

Post by willsanquil » 08 Dec 2011 22:30

Yay! that totally fixed it, thanks Nick :)

Quick response and a quick fix - I love that!

Still getting used to using MIDI in a more complicated way than just dropping MIDI notes into a piano roll ;)

This software is fantastic, I'm having a blast making my own Ableton template. You guys are the ****.