Lemur with an Android emulator on Windows?

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
amundsen
Regular
Lemur with an Android emulator on Windows?

Post by amundsen » 24 Jun 2016 07:54

Hello,

Has anyone tried to run Lemur on a Windows 8 touch computer through an Android Emulator such as Andy, BlueStacks, AMIDuOS, Droix4X, Xamarin...?

amundsen
Regular

Re: Lemur with an Android emulator on Windows?

Post by amundsen » 24 Jun 2016 14:19

I don’t have access to a Windows tactile computer at the moment but I have installed an emulator on my Mac to see it it functions correctly. I have tried BlueStacks, which seems a bit slow. Andy is more reactive and easy to use. But there are other ones worth to try (Droid4X or Xamarin, but the latest is part of an Android development package, so it takes much more room on the hard disk).

I don’t have a Lemur licence for Android however I have a TouchOSC licence. So from Andy I could connect to my Google Play account and install TouchOSC.

The first thing was to figure out which IP address to use. I could not use the localhost address to transmit data from TouchOSC to Max. Transmitting data from Max to TouchOSC using the IP address displayed in TouchOSC did not work either. I figured out I have to use the computer’s address on the local wi-fi network (but I am not sure the data take a different route than a regular localhost connection). Then I could upload a layout from the computer to the virtual tablet. Moving the interface elements, I could send messages from TouchOSC to Max. Transmitting data from the computer to TouchOSC functioned as well.

Andy on MacOS X doesn’t seem to need a lot of processing power, but Android doesn’t manage to start each time the application is launched. Another issue : the layout is always shown with the longer size vertically, whatever the orientation set in the editor. The size occupied by the layout seem to be the one programmed in the editor however and cannot be changed whatever the emulator’s portrait/landscape orientation and size.

I’d be curious to know if Lemur could run as well within an emulator, especially on a Windows tactile computer to see if the multitouch control data could reach Lemur. Anyone wants to try?

CSharpDude

Post by CSharpDude » 24 Jun 2016 22:56

I tried running Lemur in an emulator on my Surface 2 Pro. It worked well except that data coming BACK from Cubase didn't reach Lemur. That meant that Lemur wasn't reflecting the state of my buttons, etc. It probably can be solved but I chose to purchase an Android tablet.

amundsen
Regular

Post by amundsen » 28 Jan 2017 06:53

Which emulator have you used to run Lemur?

phase_change
Regular

Post by phase_change » 28 Jan 2017 21:30

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Michelob

Post by Michelob » 17 Sep 2017 17:10

Hello everyone,

Exhuming this old thread.

Im' on PC, Windows 10 64b. Reaper DAW.

I've installed Andy as an Android emulator. Things work perfect on a dedicated 21" touchscreen. My template is now really confortable.

Do not hesitate. PC + ANDY + LEMUR is a winning team.

Michel

Michelob

Post by Michelob » 28 Sep 2017 16:50

Hi,

Have to add this :

Using Android emulator on the main PC causes an important issue : when you use Lemur, the DAW (here Reaper) loses focus, and prevents, for example, the use of spacebar without clicking again into the DAW window. This is a workflow killer.

So, the combination with AutoHotkey is absolutely necessary. For example through this script :

Code: Select all

SetTitleMatchMode,2

²::

SoundPlay, ahk_keep_focus_run.wav

loop
	{
	GetKeyState, togglefocus, ², T
	if togglefocus=D
		{
		WinActivate,REAPER
		}
	else
		{
		SoundPlay, ahk_keep_focus_stop.wav
		break
		}
	}

return

This is my first script huh, so don't shoot the pianist ;)

Michel