Anyone using Lemur on Samsung Galaxy View or HP Slate 17?

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
amundsen
Regular
Anyone using Lemur on Samsung Galaxy View or HP Slate 17?

Post by amundsen » 22 Jun 2016 09:42

These tablets seem the best options for a big screen but what about MIDI and OSC connections over USB?

amundsen
Regular

Re: Anyone using Lemur on Samsung Galaxy View or HP Slate 17

Post by amundsen » 02 Jul 2016 10:33

I have finally bought the Galaxy View. It is a wi-fi only version, without LTE.

I can transmit OSC messages to my computer over a regular USB cable. It functions with Android Lollipop (5.x) and Marshmallow (6.x) as well. :mrgreen:

I use an Internet-sharing app on the tablet. It's named tethering toggler. When it's launched it leads you to an additional part in the tablet's Parameters (but it's impossible to reach it another way). There you can turn on a "USB modem" switch. On the computer (tested under Mountain Lion), one has to select "SAMSUNG_Android 2" as IP port. One can still access Internet on the computer through the tablet's wi-fi connection. Sometimes after a disconnection and reconnection of the USB cable it's necessary to kill the app and relaunch it to see switch again. It does also function through a USB hub (tested with Plugable USB 3.0 device).

You can transmit the layouts over USB too. The maximal resolution is 1920 x 1036 pixels. One has to define a specific size in Lemur Editor. There's a drop-down menu in the top left corner. In the bottom select the "Manage..." option and define a new resolution.

Android Marshmallow has introduced the possibility to activate/desactivate MIDI connections over USB. According to this source, there should be a USB connection menu in the Notifications settings (It's "Sound and notifications" on the Galaxy View actually). However I can't find this option. Maybe I should try with a MIDI device connected. The MMA has a list of instruments whose compatibility has been tested (using a Nexus). However I could connect a keyboard and see that the messages were arriving in the View using the USB MIDI Monitor App. But I don't know how to have a MIDI connection between the tablet and my computer. I can't see any additional MIDI port

For those interested, I have also tried to run TouchOSC and basically it functions but the layout is turned vertically no matter how you set the resolution. One has to use a screen resolution changer app (which implies rooting the tablet) or sending control messages from the computer.

amundsen
Regular

Post by amundsen » 02 Jul 2016 10:35

I also thought about running Lemur in parallel with another app using Android's split-screen feature but Lemur cannot be used that way.

kenm

Post by kenm » 12 Sep 2017 20:40

Sorry to revive an old thread but just wanted to add that the Galaxy View works great with the Plugable USB2-OTGE100 Ethernet adapter to provide a wired network connection. I have the GV, my Macbook Pro, and an XR18 digital mixer all on the same wired network.

Ken