How much latency do i induce when...

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
electrofux
Regular
How much latency do i induce when...

Post by electrofux » 16 Jun 2016 08:50

... i route Midi thru Lemur.

I want to receive my controllers (Doepfer Pocket Dial) midi via a custom midi and remap its cc numbers according to a lemur template and output it again.
But i am wondering if the added latency makes this a feasable thing.

phase_change
Regular

Re: How much latency do i induce when...

Post by phase_change » 13 Sep 2016 03:27

It really depends on a lot of factors. I'm not sure if you are asking for a specific amount of time, that would be difficult to estimate. Some things that will impact it are the frame rate of your template (this will be impacted by how many objects etc. you put in the template) and your set up (wired or wireless etc.) You could probably come up with a way to test this yourself if you're clever. You could probably split the signal from your midi device sending one signal directly from your controller and one signal through the template triggering a clock that will start with the first and stop with the second. Or you could just build it and see if it's acceptable by feel. One caveat is that custom midi messages do not have bidirectional control afaik. Imo, Lemur really is best suited to making nice GUIs. I would recommend using Max/MSP, Pd, or Python/any programming language you're familiar with for this.
Have you tried turning it off and on again?