Any instructions on USB tethering on Android?

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
rgames
Any instructions on USB tethering on Android?

Post by rgames » 19 May 2016 01:31

I'm not happy with the latency over wireless so I want to try USB tethering. Unfortunately I can't seem to find any information on how to do it.

I'm able to establish a tethered network connection between my tablet and my computer but I can't figure out how to tell the Lemur daemon to use it. I can use the Wi-fi connection just fine.

Any guidance on how to do tethering under Android?

Thanks,

rgames

FriFlo

Re: Any instructions on USB tethering on Android?

Post by FriFlo » 28 May 2016 13:46

Hi there fellow Vi Control member! ;-) I have a Xoro mega pad (big screen, not great build, but cheap). It has a mini USB that can be used to connect a USB to Ethernet adaptor. With this, I simply deactivated WLAN on the tablet, chose a static IP for Ethernet option in the tablet settings (all other PCs are with static IP as well) and connected it to the router (with integrated switch). Worked all well! Sometimes, I don't have a connection, but usually rebooting the tablet fixes that. It works, I would say. I haven't tried tethering the device via USB directly to the computer, so I am afraid I can't tell you much about that.
What I can tell you, however, is that a cabled connection is not a cure for everything. It may improve the latency a bit, although that was never a problem for me (good enough for CCs, notes not being send from the Lemur).
Where I was hoping to see improvements was:
1) data loss with recieived OSC data - unfortunately, the Lemur still randomly misses some of those, but midi seems more reliable.
2) better resolution of fader movement recorded to a sequencer: if you just record a good hardware fader or modulation wheel to your sequencer and compare the result in the matrix editor, you will easily see, that the hardware is pretty smooth a up to a certain point of speed, where the lemur fader shows stepping (leaving out values) much sooner. This has however nothing to do with the Wifi, but with the internal precision of Lemur's midi output! I remember a thread here, where a guy pointed out that problem and asked for a fix, but it seems like the liine guys insist that it doesn't matter sound wise, as those values would get interpolated within (soft)sythesizers. I don't think that is true for Kontakt sample libraries, though and would like them to improve the resolution of the output.
Hope, that helps with your question in some way.

FriFlo

Re: Any instructions on USB tethering on Android?

Post by FriFlo » 28 May 2016 13:51

Oh, and one more thing: in the lemur editor, you see the IP address when connecting to the tablet. When you check the IP address of the tethered connection, you can be sure it is connecting via cable. The same goes for the lemur demon, where you can set up the IP address. For try out, you might also just deactivate WIFi in the tablet ... In general, a static IP address for both the PC and the tablet will probably be a good idea ...