Tutorials on how to send timecode to the Lemur project?

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
rgames
Tutorials on how to send timecode to the Lemur project?

Post by rgames » 26 Mar 2016 22:33

I can't seem to find any tutorials or other information that shows how to get the timecode information from the DAW to the Lemur project. I've found some threads that relate to timecode but they seem to be more advanced discussions - I need the basics. It seems the surfaceLCD element in timecode mode is the answer but I don't know how to link that to the DAW timecode (Cubase in my case).

My Lemur experience to date consists only of programming buttons and sliders with MIDI CCs...!

Thanks in advance,

rgames

Phil999
Regular

Re: Tutorials on how to send timecode to the Lemur project?

Post by Phil999 » 27 Mar 2016 18:04

theoretically it should be possible, but so far I haven't seen a template with surfaceLCD displaying timecode from Cubase.

What works good is the AlphaTrack template from Macciza and one other Lemur user. They use simple Text objects and MIDIARGS. Display of selected track name, and I believe also timecode.
Formant+Eurorack, PPG wave 2.2, Korg MS-20, etc., EWI 4000s, QuNeo, etc., Mixbus32c, u-he, MadronaLabs, Samplemodeling, NI, etc., iPad2/4/Pro

rgames

Post by rgames » 28 Mar 2016 14:32

Yeah - I can use the SurfaceLCD element to show track names but when in timecode mode it's blank. I'll check out those other projects.

Within Lemur, is there any way to monitor what's being sent on that port? I don't know how the SurfaceLCD element gets the data from Cubase - I just set up the appropriate ports in the project and then in Cubase and the track names appear.

I guess I need some tutorials on how to create the code behind the SurfaceLCD element.

Thanks,

rgames

rgames

Post by rgames » 01 Apr 2016 13:15

One other question - where is the AlphaTrack template from Macciza? I found one AlphaTrack "module" but it doesn't have timecode and it's not from Macciza.

Thanks again,

rgames

rgames

Post by rgames » 04 Apr 2016 12:04

For anyone else who comes across the same issue - the Cubase 7.5 implementation of the Mackie Control uses CCs to transmit the time code. Everything I found on the web says it uses sysex.

Once you know where to look it's straightforward to decode it and create any display you want...!

Also, it does use sysex for track names but it never transmits more than 6 characters.

rgames

rockdude9k

Post by rockdude9k » 14 Oct 2016 00:14

So I've been trying to figure this out for a while now and I feel like I'm so close to getting it right.

I'm trying to grab the track name as I scroll through with Cubase and have it display with on my Lemur page.

I grabbed the AlphaTrack template from Macciza and imported a text object (with script) into my template and I got it kinda work. What happens is (when using the Mackie Control Remote under devices) that it works only if I type in a track name and hit enter. Then in order for the name to change again I have to type in another track name.

What I want is for it to update as I scroll through the various tracks in my project.

I've attached a screen shot of the code I'm using.

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-10-13 at 5.10.17 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-10-13 at 5.10.17 PM.png (62.33KiB)Viewed 2747 times

Phil999
Regular

Post by Phil999 » 14 Oct 2016 10:11

in the 'Execution' fields, try with 0 to 127 values. And maybe 1-16 channels.
Formant+Eurorack, PPG wave 2.2, Korg MS-20, etc., EWI 4000s, QuNeo, etc., Mixbus32c, u-he, MadronaLabs, Samplemodeling, NI, etc., iPad2/4/Pro