big android tablets 14 inch and bigger. would this work?

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
I V O
big android tablets 14 inch and bigger. would this work?

Post by I V O » 28 Feb 2016 22:02

Heeey Liiine peeeps,

Soo, I was wondering. I see some very affordable 14 inch android(4) tablets available. Specs are quite simular as the nexus7 soo, I have fantasies of one big patch that is controlling multiple plugin's, spread out over the full screen.
Note that I don't know yet about building my own lemur patches, but if this is possible, this might get me into it...
The patches i use now (on ipad) are Microtonic (2 times), Camelphat and Sequencomat.
Could these be laid out on one screen (with for example an ableton mixer added)?

Is it possible to make (combine) one large Lemur patch? Maybe this is better to than using something like multitasking screens from android app / functionality. Or maybe it should be a combination: like part of the patch has underlaying pages, as opposed to some that have the, on standard size tablet, now underlaying pages now laid out next to each other.

So, lot's of newbie question's. Hope this all is understandable.
Leaves me to thank all the patch makers from mentioned patches for their hard work and effort. I owe you guys!

Phil999
Regular

Re: big android tablets 14 inch and bigger. would this work?

Post by Phil999 » 01 Mar 2016 19:23

this should all be possible.

Besides, what 14" Android tablets do you know? I'm looking for one since some time.
Formant+Eurorack, PPG wave 2.2, Korg MS-20, etc., EWI 4000s, QuNeo, etc., Mixbus32c, u-he, MadronaLabs, Samplemodeling, NI, etc., iPad2/4/Pro

I V O

Post by I V O » 14 Mar 2016 08:25

check out Xoro megapad, and other models from that 'brand'.
They are very well priced. Wonder if there is any hidden, or not so hidden, drawbacks. I am not sure if they van be updated to the last Android OS, but I am not very familair with android.
What do you think?

Phil999
Regular

Post by Phil999 » 14 Mar 2016 15:02

never heard of Xoro, good tip. Apparently they make also large Android tablets, up to 32". Which then costs as much as an iPad Pro.

They don't have much CPU, not much RAM, no internal battery. Not a mobile device, but I think a good option for Lemur. No idea about OS and upgradeability. A search for Lemur+Xoro Megapad didn't show results. Will keep an eye open for these devices.
Formant+Eurorack, PPG wave 2.2, Korg MS-20, etc., EWI 4000s, QuNeo, etc., Mixbus32c, u-he, MadronaLabs, Samplemodeling, NI, etc., iPad2/4/Pro

schoko

Post by schoko » 16 Mar 2016 17:37

hi,

i have a xoro 18,5" megapad, what i really like with this device is the fact that it has no battery inside (means nothing needs to be replaced in the future).
Don't take a xoro with android 4.2 you can't upgrade them..(they are now selling it with android 5 i think).
I tried an "unofficial" update and now i cant use the ethernet port... :-(

The hardware is not the best (rockchip), but it is working flawlessly, it is ideal for lemur. i didnt try heavy templates in terms of canvas and such things, but i
dont think this is a problem...

Phil999
Regular

Post by Phil999 » 16 Mar 2016 22:10

thanks for the info. Yeah I also welcome the concept of a tablet without battery. This should keep the costs low. They run with 12V DC if I'm not mistaken, so they could be powered by a power bank/solar panel, and could therefore be used for outdoor.

The only problem seems to be the operating system, that one cannot update. The Xoro Megapads I've seen online in my country have Android 4.4.

I V O

Post by I V O » 18 Mar 2016 19:04

thanks for chiming in Schoko!
I m seriously considdering a Xoro, just for Lemur.
But untill now I have not seen any different then Android 4 versions...what is the big Con from this old android version?

Is it difficult to adjust the Lemur patches for use with the big screen? Does it take lots of time to make some specific pages for it? (i am a total noob with editing these patches hence these questions). Can you combine them?

Do you have to use some external multi task screen app?

responds greatly appreciated, thank you!!

schoko

Post by schoko » 21 Mar 2016 17:53

just an update to the xoro megapad 1851 now works with android 4.4.2 (WLAN, no LAN) the firmware(09.12.2014) can be downloaded from xoro forum..,
-> to correct my statement above...