How to create one controller with different settings per tab

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
Gass n Klang
How to create one controller with different settings per tab

Post by Gass n Klang » 09 Jan 2016 02:58

Hey guys,
I want to create different controllers for my acapella FOH live setup. Therefor I wanna have one Project that contains all Songs. Every Song should be a separate "Interface" and in every Interface I wanna use "Tabs" for the Songparts. I plan to remotely switch Songs (Interface) and Songparts (Tabs) by my laptop. The Tabswitch via Midi works well.

I use reaper as a DAW and want want to have the Tabs set up as something you'd call "scenes" in the livesound situation. So the controls may be the same but the values can be different. e.g. in the Intro I want knob 1 to be at 9 o'clock and in the Verse at 12 o'clock. Both times it should be linked to the same parameter in reaper (e.g. Reverb Decay).

How do I do that? Copying the Container to all tabs leads to different OSC-commands for each tab. So I need sth like alternative status settings for one container.
Is that possible somehow?
Attachments
x32AssignSection.jzlib
(18.34KiB)Downloaded 157 times

ndivuyo
Regular

Re: How to create one controller with different settings per

Post by ndivuyo » 09 Jan 2016 18:12

So if I understand you correctly, you want to have switching each "tab" assign specific values to the objects in the container right?

Will each "tab" or scene also have different objects, or will the objects remain constant? This will change the method you should use slightly

But what I would do is have some switches in "radio" mode instead of tabbed container. Then I would make an array(s) with the desired values for each scene at the corresponding indexes. Then when you click each switch, it will evaluate an event that will load in the values from the array to the objects.

If you want to change/add objects displayed for each scene, in that same script you can manage visibility of these objects with the show() function.

Let me know if this isn't what you wanted or if you don't know how to make arrays and do scripting in lemur.

Hope that helps

Gass n Klang

Post by Gass n Klang » 09 Jan 2016 18:55

alright here's the whole project.
I optically rebuilt the assign section (4 knobs and 8 buttons) of a behringer x32 (https://www.scmsinc.com/uploads/ecomm/behringerx32a.jpg). The controls are assigned to midi cc that remote lemur (i like buttons more than touch, but I can name the targets in lemur. So Lemur helps me here to remember, what I'm controlling). The free space of the project tabs could be filled with other controls for the specific song scene, if necessary and will be controlled directly using the tablet.

The tabs momentarily are controlled by my DAW reaper (if I jump to a new marker = scene, lemur automatically jumps to the right tab). Now I want to have the possibility to completely change the assignement of this section in another scene/tab. So the "x32 container" will be remoted by the same midi CCs from the Behringer x32 but the object names and the assigns in reaper probably will change. Anyway, the free space beside the container will be filled with different controls in each scene.
With this possibility I will also be able to just change a value of one knob by jumping to the next tab (e.g. Reverb Decay in tab 1 is turned all the way up, jumping to the next tab recalls turned down decay = short reverb).

Problems:
1) At the moment, when copying the "x32 container" to another tab I still have control over all tabs, so turning a knob results in turning many knobs in the different tabs. I just want the "active tab" receive and send commands.
2) When I jump to a new tab, all those settings automatically should be sent to my DAW

So your solution sounds interesting. Where can I find this "radio mode" and "array"? I'm new to lemur and even don't know how to use the script function.
Attachments
x32 ControlPanel advanced.jzml
(21.44KiB)Downloaded 160 times

rad3d

Post by rad3d » 09 Jan 2016 19:51

I don't have the Behringer or use Reaper, but to elaborate on the radio/switching idea, I added a couple of elements to your project to demonstrate.

Keep in mind that you can't test the state of the tabs in a container, so they don't do you much good on their own. But if you simply hide the tabs (checkbox in the container panel), you can add a Switch array in radio mode to change the tabs (see script 'setTab' attached to the new switch), which then gives you an ability to test the status of the switch array to determine which tab in the container is open. I've done that in your file.

To deal with your 1st question, I also added a simple knob. But instead of using the built-in Midi Mapping on the knob, I have deticked (unchecked) the knob so that it won't send midi mapping parameters. I then added a simple script to the knob that validates which tab is open - by testing the status of the radio switch - and then use a ctlout() function to send the control change from the script ('sndCtl' attached to the new knob). This gives you the level of control needed for the output part of the equation.

For your second question, you might add a script to the switch that tests for x, and based on it's value (which tab is open), sets the values for all of your knobs/settings via scripting control.

Probably a few ways to handle these questions, but this is one way. Hope I understood what you were after.
Attachments
x32 ControlPanel advanced-upd.jzml
(25.43KiB)Downloaded 163 times