StepSwitch questions

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
rad3d
StepSwitch questions

Post by rad3d » 26 Dec 2015 17:37

Using the StepSwitch object for a part of my template and have a few questions. I'm doing a simple 16 step sequence, no looping. I have everything generally working well by triggering note ons at each 'out', which also gives me some different ways to control note offs for different hold effects. Questions are:

- I don't understand how 'length' and 'legato' are used with this object, so I feel like I'm bypassing altogether. If I set length to anything higher than .8 or lower than .2, notes are skipped. But not sure what this is really controlling since I am sending my own noteoffs. Legato has no effect.

- 'swing' also has no effect. This is one feature I'd like access to, so it makes me wonder if I'm using StepSwitch in the right way.

- When I do some basic tests in small template, I get predictable results with good timing. When I try the same functions in my larger template, I seem to get a slight delay between the first and second notes. I've validated that I don't start the clock until after all other processing is done. What should I be looking for to potentially solve this issue? I'm only using 1/16 division for the object, and if I use StepNote, I don't get this delay. (Not using StepNote for my project as I need multiple clocks and that object only seems to work with Clock 0).

Any help or insight would be welcome.

Thx

ndivuyo
Regular

Re: StepSwitch questions

Post by ndivuyo » 26 Dec 2015 20:32

Yea step objects are notorious for skipped notes and not being very true to the beat when they accumulate. I don't know if that was fixed with the lightning USB connection in the new update or not though, are you connected like that or with wifi?

I'm not sure about swing, length and legato though as I don't use the step objects

rad3d

Post by rad3d » 26 Dec 2015 21:01

Direct internal midi connection. Lemur on iOS running directly to iOS synth. Shouldn't be anything to cause latency.

As I mentioned, dropped notes only occur when I play around with 'length' parameters in my basic tests. If I leave length set at .5, no problems. In my larger template, I don't have dropped notes, but I do have a slight delay between the first and second steps.

But I question how length, legato and swing apply to a StepSwitch since there is no direct note on generated by the object on its own. I'm controlling note ons and note offs based on the 'out'.

With StepNote, length will key a note off at the value's percentage of the StepNote's division. But if a StepSwitch doesn't generate a note on, what effect do these parameters have? And I would assume swing would be applied to the 'out' timing, but it's not. I feel I'm not following how these parameters get applied.

I'm starting to test with OnClock scripts, but could really use swing timing for what I'm building, and my understanding is that swing is not possible with OnClock triggering.

rad3d

Post by rad3d » 26 Dec 2015 21:57

Ok, I guess I see now that the 'length' and 'legato' settings do affect the switch length.

So, my only question now is whether swing works for StepSwitch objects.