Some MIDI messages not being sent/received - latency issue?

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
rgames
Some MIDI messages not being sent/received - latency issue?

Post by rgames » 24 Dec 2015 18:07

Short Version:

My scripting appears to work most of the time but it appears some MIDI messages are getting lost somewhere. It seems to happen most often when the messages are sent in quick succession. Are there any "rules of thumb" on how to prevent these kinds of problems?

Long Version:

I'm using Lemur to control keyswitches for a large orchestral template in Cubase and I want the project to automatically change to the appropriate set of keyswitches when a new channel is selected in Cubase. For example, when I select a brass channel, I want the brass keyswitches to pop up. When I select a strings channel, I want the strings keyswitches to show up.

Within Lemur, I have a "Synch" button with a script that sends CC127 value 127 and then sets Synch.x=0. (I know Synch.x=0 happens automatically when you press the button - you'll see why I'm doing this in a moment.) Within Cubase, each track has a MIDI transformer on a MIDI send that takes the CC127 value from Lemur and returns it with CC127 value = appropriate keyswitch set. For example, on my strings tracks, the transformer sends CC127 value 3. On my brass tracks it sends CC127 value 5. Etc. That part works fine.

What I'd really like to do is have Cubase activate the Synch button when I change tracks. That way it's automatic. So I set up a generic remote that sends a Note On message on a dedicated port whenever a track change occurs. I have a script in Lemur that executes "On MIDI, 90 - Note On" on the appropriate port and sets Synch.x = 1 (i.e. it sets the synch button state to on so that the synch script runs). This is why I added Synch.x=0 above - it appears the button does not automatically return to "off" when triggered from a script.

That setup works fine - most of the time. However, every now and then I change tracks and the Synch button state goes to "on" but it never shuts off. Likewise, sometimes it just never gets activated.

So the scripting appears to work but some messages are getting lost between Cubase and Lemur.

Thanks in advance!

rgames