Alive 2008 "Stronger Remix" Questions

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
DELB
Alive 2008 "Stronger Remix" Questions

Post by DELB » 11 Dec 2015 01:30

Hi,

I have some questions regarding this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXnoj2OnNqg

I've bought Lemur on the iPad and I did manage to get this working with Ableton Live and loopMIDI and Lemur Daemon. However, it interests me how the guy had made this from the ground-up.

Could anyone explain to me firstly to start off how you go through the process of creating something like that and then maybe I can ask further questions, if possible? Just curious really. What are all of the internal processes going on with Lemur and Ableton exactly and how did the guy create the interface to be VERY similar to what Daft Punk had back in 2008?

Thanks.

ndivuyo
Regular

Re: Alive 2008 "Stronger Remix" Questions

Post by ndivuyo » 11 Dec 2015 05:32

What aspect interests you? He is using standard lemur objects. Some have physics enabled (Mass spring), some of the physics are just to create a cool visual effect, and some of them actually are affecting the parameters. Just like any controller it takes thought, creativity and experience to think about what to map to what and in what range, etc. He's got some pads for triggering and knobs/siders for parameter fx. He chose all green for the coloring to create that design.
I would recommend just opening the lemur editor and adding objects and them mapping them to parameters in your DAW. Play around with all the objects and their attributes (like physics) to see what's possible. And then if you want to go into further functionality look into the scripting abilities and the canvas object.

Fee free to ask specifics or more questions!

DELB

Post by DELB » 11 Dec 2015 07:49

Thank you for the reply.

Okay, so I guess my question is mainly to do with what effects he used. I watched some tutorials on YouTube of how to use the Lemur interface and that clears up a lot of my questions.

Are you familiar with Ableton? I'm not too familiar with it to be honest, but if you looked at the video, what effects did he use and basically how did he set up the effects and everything else.

What kind of stuff can you do with scripting and canvas?

It's more of an Ableton question I think, but that's what I am curious about right now.

ndivuyo
Regular

Post by ndivuyo » 13 Dec 2015 22:48

Yea your question more deals with possibilites of signal processing. Ableton is definitely a great program for performing live with fx and clip launching (which is what he is using).
I use ableton all the time, I love it, but definitely not the only option. Check it out, especially the use of Macros, drum rack and the clip launching mode. Lemur works very well with it, you can use midi data and map objects in the lemur controller to fx parameters and clip launching in ableton (and other DAWs for that matter).
Seems like the dude in the video had some pads that launched sample clips (maybe on a drum rack?) and the rest of the objects had one or more fx mapped to them (many were compounded, making for some interesting sounds with just a little movement)

Good luck, have fun with it!

steo0315

Post by steo0315 » 26 Dec 2015 11:07

Hi !
Thanks for the interest.
Actually the Lemur interface isn't very advanced, the magic resides in the Ableton Liveset.
I did a little video to explain how to use the interface (it has english subtitles): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sSK87TGpQc
For the acapella part the idea was to use the grid to trigger different parts of the robot voice using the legato mode.

You may download the project here and have a look for yourself: http://daft.club/daftabase/touch-it-ali ... x/?lang=en
It contains the Ableton Liveset and the Lemur interface.

Fun fact: I recorded the video using a orange interface and then change the hue in Final Cut to have it Green, because I couldn't not make Red glowing paper with the black light haha.
Good luck !

((Steo))