No Android Wired MIDI?

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
danktle
No Android Wired MIDI?

Post by danktle » 02 Dec 2015 03:54

I don't seem to see how to do this. Or, at least, I haven't had it work yet. I definitely have midi out happening from TouchDAW, so it's not "enabling the USB host" or anything along those lines. I have a USB OTG connector, Samsung Note 4 (and multiple other devices that receive midi input just fine), and an iConnect USB MIDI hub. I run Lemur no problem over WiFi. I can control external MIDI gear hooked up to my computer. Lemur does everything I want when wireless.

But I don't want wireless.

I want 1 tablet, 1 cable going out, and 1 tone module receiving midi directly from the tablet.

That's it.

No computers.

No WiFi routers.

I am aware that the iPad will do this. I am not paying $400-500 for a tablet to serve one purpose. I can buy any number of hardware controllers for far less than that, and program them to do whatever I want. I already have several. I have better layouts that I built myself in Lemur. It only works when I have a computer and router running. I don't want to set 5 things up just to make music. I want a controller and a sound generator. I don't want to hook up an entire Mac and make sure this, that, or the other program is running first. I don't want a Windows laptop in order to hook a wireless router to it to control something 8 inches away from the tablet.

I can talk to Caustic by simply hooking up any controller to my phone and playing with just a cable and an OTG connector. It works fine. With TouchDAW I can hook my phone up to a cheap Casio keyboard with the iConnect, and if I play notes on the android screen, I hear notes on the tone module. I didn't miss some setting. It seems other programs generate MIDI out just fine with only an OTG connector and a class compliant MIDI adapter. I don't need to dive into menus and get it. I hook it up and it does what you hope it will on the first try.

Why doesn't Lemur do this? I have to be missing something...

Imza

Re: No Android Wired MIDI?

Post by Imza » 04 Jan 2016 00:15

Lemur does do this.
Check the Lemur wiki.
https://liine.net/wiki/lemur/basic_conc ... and_cables
lightlabstl.com

invisibleagent

Re: No Android Wired MIDI?

Post by invisibleagent » 08 Jul 2016 05:35

It would seem that USB Class compliant MIDI adapters are only support on Lemur for IOS.

Going to "up vote" the request for new features in Android / USB Class compliant MIDI adapters