which device should I buy for lemur?

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
ergo
which device should I buy for lemur?

Post by ergo » 23 Nov 2015 18:04

Hello,

I fancy the lemur since it was a hardware only controller and now I want to get it. So what is the cheapest device with no drawbacks for using the lemur (thinking about latency and stuff like that)? I thought about a used ipad3? Is CPU performance/iOS version a concern for this app or would even an Ipad1 be good enough? Or is Android an equal good solution, I read that the touch latency is worse compared to iPads? I really just want to use this device for the lemur.

Best regards,
ergo

ps: my main daw is windows at the moment.

Phil999
Regular

Re: which device should I buy for lemur?

Post by Phil999 » 23 Nov 2015 19:59

good question. What I can say is that an iPad2 works well. For certain templates with a lot of knobs even better than an iPad4 because of the display resolution.

The CPU is important when you have many elements or canvas elements. Display resolution is equally important.

Android might be an alternative, but I don't know for sure because I don't have such a device. I tried to run Lemur on Windows with an Android emulator, but there were problems with Google Play, so I can't say anything about this method either.
Formant+Eurorack, PPG wave 2.2, Korg MS-20, etc., EWI 4000s, QuNeo, etc., Mixbus32c, u-he, MadronaLabs, Samplemodeling, NI, etc., iPad2/4/Pro

ergo

Post by ergo » 24 Nov 2015 11:17

That's really interesting. So a iPad2 would be faster for lemur because of it's lower resolution? Also for canvas?

ps: I would prefer an usb connection to WIFI. Is this possible on your iPad2?

schoko

Post by schoko » 24 Nov 2015 18:39

Hi,

i bought a xoro megapad 1851, big screen (18,5 ") works nice...
It is android 4.2.2 you could try upgrading it to 4.4 but that did not work for me, you have to search the xoro forums...

I cant confirm that a powerfull processor is needed (didnt try canvas), i have a lot in the lemur apps (mackie control emulation, fireface control, sampler control).

I just installed the 5.3.1 version(just on pc) that seems to be a huge performance boost too (it reduced the performance meter to 19% from 51 before!!!)
What matters for me is the big screen...

best regards
schoko

Phil999
Regular

Post by Phil999 » 25 Nov 2015 01:31

ergo wrote:That's really interesting. So a iPad2 would be faster for lemur because of it's lower resolution? Also for canvas?
I would say yes to that question, but take it with a grain of salt. I don't have these new iPads or iPad Pro. Their performance may be good.

But it's true that the higher resolution thing dropped Lemur performance. Antonio Blanca made scientific tests with lots of Knob elements with an fps meter. With some effort you may find his post in the forum. He and myself were assuming it had something to do with transparency which was introduced in v.5. Lemur developers said they will take a look at this problem, but as far as I can see nothing happened since then. That is one year or two years back. I don't know. And frankly I don't care anymore. I just do my thing with Lemur, it works fine. Try to help where I can.
ergo wrote:ps: I would prefer an usb connection to WIFI. Is this possible on your iPad2?
Version 5.3 promises direct USB connection. I'm sure it will come once the fix for older devices is there. Meanwhile there's another app called MusicIO which enables direct MIDI connection to a computer. No OSC so far.
Formant+Eurorack, PPG wave 2.2, Korg MS-20, etc., EWI 4000s, QuNeo, etc., Mixbus32c, u-he, MadronaLabs, Samplemodeling, NI, etc., iPad2/4/Pro

emile hertz

Post by emile hertz » 07 Jan 2016 11:07

hello,

i'm a user of legacy lemur.
From beginning, size of memory and size of screen where a problem : too small.
So i have got 2 jazzmutant lemur. Both of them with around 85% of memory used. And I use them with a wacom pencil (hard and thin tip pencil)

I tried ipad 2 years ago : better when empty but worse when loaded with all interfaces (very slow down touchscreen, almost hazardous). And too small objets. And not satisfy by wifi connection. And it works only with a soft tip pencil.

I was more or less satisfy by my two legacy lemur but they are old and start to have screen problems. And right now, i have to add others objets but there are any space available on screens.

so I have to change them and in same time want to resolve two big limitations : space of screen (too small) and size of memory (too small)
i discovered they are bigger tablets : samsung galaxy viewer 18' and xoro (thanks schoko) for exemple.

xoro looks good : osc/ethernet connection and connector in the back of the device (samsung is usb)
but what about cpu ?
two years ago, with my i-pad, i believed it will be better (because newer) as the jazzmutant lemur : bigger memory, faster cpu, faster touchscreen... And it was not.

I would like to check xoro or samsung tablets with my interfaces before to buy them but it looks difficult.
So I need feedback and knowledge with new and large tablets.
For exemple, type and speed of processor are really important ? or all recent processors are powerfull enought for a "simple" app as lemur ? (without any other app)
what about RAM ? if i only use tablet with lemur (any other app).

thanks

emile hertz