Midi feedback with Logic 9

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
FastTriggerFish
Midi feedback with Logic 9

Post by FastTriggerFish » 07 Dec 2011 16:44

Hello,
I have been waiting for Lemur to come out on the iPad for a long time and am very excited about it.
One major question though is how do you get midi feedback working inside Logic Studio ?
With TouchOSC it required major environment hacking and I gave up as I didn't have the time to fiddle so much - so I ended up never using it.
Since the app is 50$ I want to be sure I can get it to work without too much hassle before taking the plunge.
Thanks in advance.

marino_liine
Regular

Re: Midi feedback with Logic 9

Post by marino_liine » 07 Dec 2011 17:00

Hi FastTriggerFish,

Don't worry about OSC you should definitely use MIDI messages which Logic accepts, it is just a matter of setting up the preferences right inside Logic.

This video will explain you how to setup MIDI with Logic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrBpzYq9HRs
I would recommend that you load the iPad - Studio Combo which comes with reconfigured MIDI messages.

Best regards,
Marino.

1dmac

Post by 1dmac » 07 Dec 2011 17:02

Yes, me too! I'd love to use this! Before I spend the money - WILL IT WORK IN LOGIC 8??? Thanks. I also use iRig midi connector from ipod - will that work also?

FastTriggerFish

Post by FastTriggerFish » 07 Dec 2011 17:18

marino_liine wrote:Hi FastTriggerFish,

Don't worry about OSC you should definitely use MIDI messages which Logic accepts, it is just a matter of setting up the preferences right inside Logic.

This video will explain you how to setup MIDI with Logic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrBpzYq9HRs
I would recommend that you load the iPad - Studio Combo which comes with reconfigured MIDI messages.

Best regards,
Marino.
Thanks a lot for your quick answer Marino, I will watch this video tonight.
Excuse me for my noob-ism, but what is a combo ? And would it only work for controlling e.g the logic mixer, or is it something that I could use together with other templates - so that if say I was using the FM8 template with the FM8 plugin inside logic I would get midi feedback to Lemur from changing the plugin parameters inside Logic ?

marino_liine
Regular

Post by marino_liine » 07 Dec 2011 17:19

Hi 1dmac,

Lemur will work with any software that can receive MIDI or OSC. So to answer your question, yes it will work with Logic 8 and iRig.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
M.

marino_liine
Regular

Post by marino_liine » 07 Dec 2011 17:27

Studio Combo is just the name of the template - that's how we call it. It is a combination of templates to control your DAW (Logic, Ableton, etc...)
You can indeed control the Logic's mixer with it since it includes a section inside with only faders. If you have the MIDI Inputs and Outputs set correctly in Logic you will see whatever you do to FM8 reflected on the lemur template.

Cheers,
M.

FastTriggerFish

Post by FastTriggerFish » 08 Dec 2011 08:28

marino_liine wrote:If you have the MIDI Inputs and Outputs set correctly in Logic you will see whatever you do to FM8 reflected on the lemur template.
Ok. I think "setup correctly" is kind of the problem here :) Getting plugins to respond to input as in the video is usually the easy part - the hard part is getting feedback to work.
The thing is, when you move a knob in a plugin inside logic, it sends as output a "fader" message with a number that corresponds to the internal mapping inside the plugin, which is not necessarily the same as the cc message number you mapped as input.
So for most midi controllers you end up having to spend a lot of time setting up environment objects that not only translate "fader" to midi cc, but also the correct midi cc number.
Or you do it the other way around by first moving all the knobs on the plugin, taking note of the fader number and/or channels, then make sure that the controller sends midi cc numbers that match.

Of course all this is a Logic problem rather than a Lemur issue, and I know a lot of other DAWs make this much easier, but I was wondering if there is an easier way with the Lemur app - like some existing environment objects you can drop into a project and maybe a bit of scripting on the Lemur to make the process be less work intensive.

Trailerman

Post by Trailerman » 08 Dec 2011 13:51

Hi

I have a similar issue with Logic and MIDI feedback to Lemur.

Assuming I have Lemur using Daemon Input/Output 0 for routing MIDI data to and from Logic, how do I get it to respond to incoming MIDI data coming back from Logic? I can get MIDI info into Logic no problem (using ad hoc Wifi connection), but no matter what I do, I cannot get Lemur to see the MIDI data coming back out. I've tried routing the appropriate Environment objects in the Logic environment to Daemon Ouput 0, but still see no response in Lemur.

Thanks for any help.

Jules

bammer

Post by bammer » 11 Jan 2012 04:16

Here is how you do it: (unless I misunderstand your quandary)
The monitor objects are optional.
** this implies you already have Lemur set up and are using a GUI you are happy with **

1 - In Logic, cmd+8 will open your Environment.
2 - At the MIDI Instr. page, go New -> Add Instrument and make its name "Lemur"
3 - Set the Port to the Lemur Daemon Output 0. (or whatever number I suppose you perfer)
4 - Click on the "Lemur" MIDI Object, hold down the option key and click to go to the "Mixer" page (up at the top left).
(this will take the Lemur MIDI Object to your channel strip page)
5 - Click New -> Transformer
6 - Route the output of your channel strip to the transformer.
7 - Route the output of the transformer to your Lemur MIDI Object. (See below for routing)
1.jpg
1.jpg (23.34KiB)Viewed 18432 times
8 - Double click the transformer and set it to what I have set below:
You basically undo the mess that Logic makes, then send it out to Lemur.
a - You are taking the fader and converting it to a normal control
b - fader info is sent on the first plugin (channel 2) so you want to convert that back to the channel strip ( channel 1)
c - let the controller # and dd pass thru.
2.jpg
2.jpg (47.26KiB)Viewed 18432 times
Last edited by bammer on 13 Jan 2012 16:56, edited 1 time in total.

bammer

Post by bammer » 11 Jan 2012 04:22

So ... maybe you help me now. :)
I want to be able to "Bang" (meta #99 in Logic) all current parameters of a soft synth back to my iPad Lemur.
I'm pulling my hair out getting Logic to bang it out.