Dexter on iPad?

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
highmountain
Re: Dexter on iPad?

Post by highmountain » 14 Dec 2011 05:58

People who weren't long time Lemur users may not understand, but everyone looks at it and says it looks great and in practice will never use it. The better iPad touch sensor may improve it somewhat but Jazzmutant already paid the tuition on this one, there's no need to repeat the same mistake. Better to put efforts towards improvements of Lemur itself, maybe with an eye to recreating similar functionality in Lemur.

Anton
Regular

Post by Anton » 14 Dec 2011 07:46

Its interesting to hear old skoolers say -1 on dexter. Again it would be great to get a roadmap from liine on where they want to take lemur.

Macciza
Regular

Post by Macciza » 14 Dec 2011 08:08

Hi

They have indicated "There are no plans for the moment to port Dexter to the iPad - But thanks a lot for the interest and suggestion."

For me I see a number of issues with Dexter
It is not Lemur - It ran on Lemur hardware but is separate program really . Stantum may not have licensed it to Liine.
Its a seprarate app - it does not run 'on' Lemur as mentioned above - as above - it's like asking for LiveControl on Griid
As iLemur progresses, better devices will be able to be built natively making Dexter redundant
I would prefer the focus on Lemur Legacy compatibility to iOS Dexter for the moment

Just my thoughts
Cheers
MM
iMac 2.8G i7 12G 10.6.8/10.7.2, Legacy Dexter/Lemur, Liine Lemur/iPad2, KMI SoftStep, 12Step & QuNeo , B-Controls, Mackie C4 etc
MaxMSP, Live Suite, Native Instrument stuff, etc Modified Virtual Guitar System etc All Projects/Modules © CC-BY-NC-SA[*][/b]

chou

Post by chou » 15 Dec 2011 10:19

something like dexter would be definitively cool,

I just want to control my DAW (reason6, dexter doesn't support it that why i talk about something like dexter) and bought lemur app to do that,

it's a huge and fantastic app until you understand how it's hard and time consumming to create a serious template and how those templates don't even exist and you can't be sure it will even exist one day,

most of the template are for lemur legacy touch screen and need to be streched

there is one messy ridiculous template for reason + 1 mcu emulation

I started to make one but it's a huge task and i'm not even sure it will work,

frankly lemur app could be a reference with various template for various daw, but this is not the case,

i just expect this will be true for the next 3 month, if not i just spend another 50 usd in a useless app (useless because i don't really have the time / envy / knowledge to do it and the ridiculous user library can't help me to learn how to do it).

i admit i'm totally loss by my lack of knowledge, script coding is a misterious thing for me and i'm totally lost by the amount of work I have to do for creating what i want.

i expected lemur was easy to use but it's just over complex for someone who just want to make music with an expressive and functionnal touch controller.

I wish next futur prove me I'm wrong.

but for the moment lemur looks like a nerdy geeky apps for programmers more than a controler apps.

more serious templates in the library could be the way to push me and other peoples to use lemur like it should be IMO

so MORE TEMPLATES please

protocol

Post by protocol » 15 Dec 2011 17:57

The whole touch screen interaction in the non-Jazzmutant world is fairly new. We are starting to see many applications come about to utilize this technology. Look at moog coming out with the ani-moog, look at (do i dare say) Garage Band. This is merely the surface of what is yet to come I believe. The moment 1 major recording-software company comes out with touch-screen software made for a touch product, suddenly they all will (natural product of a competitive market). And do you think the Dexter can compete with that? No, cause its a general application for multiple DAWs. Its a waste of time developing it, a waste of resources and Liine will lose the necessary capital to stay ahead of competition with the Lemur.

What the Lemur is, which sorry Chou you sorely misunderstood, is the Mutant-Customizable brother to the rigid-structured Dexter. The Lemur is freedom. No more being bogged down to a rigid-set structured template with endless menus and and button clicking (the common complaint with Mu for performance) to get to the single cut off filter in a VST or connected analog/virtual synth at the right moment in a piece where everyone says "Wow, that was phat!" It freedom to make YOUR template, the way YOU want, to control YOUR set. THAT is what the Lemur is. And I am sorry for those who thought the Lemur expecting make their lives "easier" by being that temporary touch-DAW interface before the "real touch-DAW" makes one (which without question they will, and when they do it'll be better than the Dexter). It takes time to learn the lemur and master its abilities yes I give you that. But in the end its worth it, for you and your crowd.

And for that, I vote no Dexter, and yes to freedom, yes to the Lemur.

chou

Post by chou » 15 Dec 2011 21:36

I understand what you said and I tend to agree on all your comment,

I post here mainly to suggest more specific templates for the lemur app, It will help for sure :lol:

I clearly understand the customizable part but to create a template from scratch seems very difficult

To edit an existing template is more a convenient way to maximize the learning curve imo,

And it would be a way to maximize sells too ;)

Anton
Regular

Post by Anton » 16 Dec 2011 20:48

I think if there wan object SDK and perhaps ab it more graphical freedom within Lemur itself then you could have in-app purchases of commerical templates. Similar to what people do with Reaktor for example.