Control Lemur with incremental encoder

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
iPad_User
Regular
Control Lemur with incremental encoder

Post by iPad_User » 31 Oct 2015 13:26

Hey people,

I have an incremental encoder here which is connected via MIDI (iConnectMIDI2+) to the iPad. I'd like to create a controller-surface, that is controlled by this encoder. The encoder transmits CC65 with a value of 65 for one direction and value 1 in the other direction + speed informations.
The first step is to achieve, that a fader or pot in lemur reacts on this controller values. Is there already a solution for that?

The next step would be to send out the value of the fader / pot out to another MIDI target. So I'd need two MIDI targets. The first one for the encoder which is a one-directional-connection only because I don't need a MIDI-feedback on the encoder. The second is for the host, which should be controlled. Of course this connection needs to be bi-directional to get the feedback to lemur.

The main reason for this whole thing is to get more haptic to the whole control surface. I can adjust a value much better with a real encoder than with a virtual pot on the iPad.

Any help is very appreciated :-)

Thanks,
Chris

iPad_User
Regular

Re: Control Lemur with incremental encoder

Post by iPad_User » 31 Oct 2015 18:54

At least I managed already to get the second step working. But I have a question there too:
I have a fader, a monitor object and an OnMidi script. The script is called via target MIDI 1 and CC 65, ch1. The script contains:

Code: Select all

Monitor.value=MIDI_ARGS;
Fader.x=MIDI_ARGS[1]/127;
Now I can control with the encoder (for the moment set into absolute-mode to send values between 0-127) the fader, which controls the host.

Two things:
a.) I don't want to use absolute values, because I want to control several faders, buttons, etc. with the encoder. Is there a solution?
b.) It's working but the cap of the fader is not really smooth when turning the encoder. It's bouncing a bit. Is there a change to smooth this out? I tried playing around with the physics, but wasn't able to achieve it.

Thanks!

iPad_User
Regular

Re: Control Lemur with incremental encoder

Post by iPad_User » 01 Nov 2015 09:04

Okay... I just realized that I don't even need a MIDI Feedback to lemur because I have a computer screen with me all the time. So I replaced the pots and faders in lemur with endless-pots. This works great.

Now another task: I have eight hardware-encoders but I want to put them virtually in banks and would like to switch through the banks to control more than 8 parameters. It would be also great if those parameters, which are currently controlled, will go green-colored.

Any suggestions? I'll post the layout later.