Microsoft Surface Just Getting Better...

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
Phil999
Regular
Re: Microsoft Surface Just Getting Better...

Post by Phil999 » 09 Nov 2015 03:45

great input Vas, many thanks. I'll think about what you said and linked to, will respond in a few days.
Formant+Eurorack, PPG wave 2.2, Korg MS-20, etc., EWI 4000s, QuNeo, etc., Mixbus32c, u-he, MadronaLabs, Samplemodeling, NI, etc., iPad2/4/Pro

Vas

Post by Vas » 11 Nov 2015 05:51

Just checked out Studio One 2 and the three S1 plugins that I tried are not multi-touch.
Perhaps S1 MT needs to be turned on?
In fact the single touch is terrible on the two VSTi's that I tried, Iris and FM8.
23" 10-touch Monitor, iPad Air - IconnectMIDI2+, Windows 10- 64bit, GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R Rev 2, Xeon W3690, 12GB RAM, Firebox, Cubase 7.5, Sonar Platinum, S1 2, Reaper 5, Komplete 8, Lumur, Iris 2.

Phil999
Regular

Post by Phil999 » 11 Nov 2015 16:18

I'm not sure, but I think multitouch has been introduced in Studio One 3. Maybe earlier, I just remember some ads and reviews which mentioned MT in version 3.

XotoPad may be something, but so far I'm not very impressed. http://ctrlr.org/ looks more promising to me, although I didn't manage yet to create a control surface. Tried several times but always stuck somewhere, mainly in the layout. I somehow have become a bit lazy with this stuff, that's why I'm (again) interested in big multitouchscreens and direct control of the GUI.

Now to Usine: I've installed the current version, but it looks like there is only one demo project if you don't have a license. I didn't manage to run one of those add-ons (there are controller projects among them) that you can download through Usine. That's where it would get interesting. When I find time I may try asking specific questions in their user forum. So many things that are unclear. And I don't need a DAW, I already have two.

I've also tested FM8 for touch control, I agree it's difficult. I'm also more interested in sound design, direct quick access to synth parameters, than mixing. For mixing there are already good controller apps.
Formant+Eurorack, PPG wave 2.2, Korg MS-20, etc., EWI 4000s, QuNeo, etc., Mixbus32c, u-he, MadronaLabs, Samplemodeling, NI, etc., iPad2/4/Pro

Vas

Post by Vas » 11 Nov 2015 17:50

23" 10-touch Monitor, iPad Air - IconnectMIDI2+, Windows 10- 64bit, GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R Rev 2, Xeon W3690, 12GB RAM, Firebox, Cubase 7.5, Sonar Platinum, S1 2, Reaper 5, Komplete 8, Lumur, Iris 2.

Vas

Post by Vas » 11 Nov 2015 18:05

Phil999 wrote:I'm not sure, but I think multitouch has been introduced in Studio One 3. Maybe earlier, I just remember some ads and reviews which mentioned MT in version 3.

XotoPad may be something, but so far I'm not very impressed. http://ctrlr.org/ looks more promising to me, although I didn't manage yet to create a control surface. Tried several times but always stuck somewhere, mainly in the layout. I somehow have become a bit lazy with this stuff, that's why I'm (again) interested in big multitouchscreens and direct control of the GUI.

Now to Usine: I've installed the current version, but it looks like there is only one demo project if you don't have a license. I didn't manage to run one of those add-ons (there are controller projects among them) that you can download through Usine. That's where it would get interesting. When I find time I may try asking specific questions in their user forum. So many things that are unclear. And I don't need a DAW, I already have two.

I've also tested FM8 for touch control, I agree it's difficult. I'm also more interested in sound design, direct quick access to synth parameters, than mixing. For mixing there are already good controller apps.
XotoPad, If it was a VSTi I would get it.

Usine, Yes, I also do not need another DAW! But if it had a good virtual midi keyboard controller I would use it as a standalone controller with midi out to FL Studio or another DAW.

Yes, multi-touch the GUI and for me especially touch the VST instruments and the VST fx. Agree "direct quick access to synth parameters" by multi-touch. Multi-touch and make music!

This thread totally expresses my feelings
Need a virtual Multi-Touch Midi Keyboard Controller VST
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 4&t=449091

Vas

Post by Vas » 12 Nov 2015 02:33

Phil999 wrote: http://ctrlr.org/ looks more promising to me, although I didn't manage yet to create a control surface.
Tried several times but always stuck somewhere, mainly in the layout. I somehow have become a bit
lazy with this stuff, that's why I'm (again) interested in big multitouchscreens and direct control of
the GUI.
I again checked out your suggestion. I did not find anything that I can use here http://ctrlr.org/panels/
That means I have to make my own. This is not for me. In any case my immediate need is a virtual
midi keyboard VSTi that has velocity capability. What is it that you want from this program. Is it free?
Did I overlook some important feature?

FL Studio 12 has Patcher and control surface https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXvqBDfEhls
See minute 11:00. This is a very nice feature which I will likely use.

Phil999
Regular

Post by Phil999 » 12 Nov 2015 13:28

again interesting stuff from you, thanks. I didn't know DTouch, that looks interesting. Needs iLok, so it's probably not for me, but good to see this development. FL Studio 12 looks good as well. Would be nice to have this Patcher as VSTi.

Ctrlr is what it is as far as I know. You have to create your own panel. I would like to to use Ctrlr in the same way as I use Lemur, control parameters of softsynths, with the advantage of bigger multitouch screens. It seems Ctrlr does not have a keyboard, I didn't quite realise you're searching for a touch-keyboards.

I'm sure next year there will be more and better options for what we search for. In the meantime I'm a bit tempted to get an iPad Pro, but it's quite expensive, especially in my country. I think I'll wait.

Vas

Post by Vas » 13 Nov 2015 18:22

Phil999 wrote:again interesting stuff from you, thanks. I didn't know DTouch, that looks interesting. Needs iLok, so it's probably not for me, but good to see this development. FL Studio 12 looks good as well. Would be nice to have this Patcher as VSTi.

Ctrlr is what it is as far as I know. You have to create your own panel. I would like to to use Ctrlr in the same way as I use Lemur, control parameters of softsynths, with the advantage of bigger multitouch screens. It seems Ctrlr does not have a keyboard, I didn't quite realise you're searching for a touch-keyboards.

I'm sure next year there will be more and better options for what we search for. In the meantime I'm a bit tempted to get an iPad Pro, but it's quite expensive, especially in my country. I think I'll wait.
Patcher VST? Well check this out http://forum.image-line.com/viewtopic.php?p=883356
Patcher is a proprietary VST and works only in FL Studio. There are other free or low
priced modular/chainer VST/VSTi's. see
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=354102
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=121552
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=344096

Yes my immediate need is a virtual midi keyboard, with just a few extras features:
VSTi
vector based so it is re-sizable.
Sensing by location and axis. Velocity, volume, Pitch, note length.
A sustain button.
An Expressionmate and Continuum surface.
There is more but I better stop here.

Next year? that is 50 days from now. I said next year back in IIRC 2012.
Yea, I sound pessimistic, perhaps just being realistic.

Have you made a decision about the monitor?

Phil999
Regular

Post by Phil999 » 13 Nov 2015 20:42

sorry I meant that multitouch-mapping thing in FL Studio 12 in the video you posted, I thought it was called Patcher. I never used FruityLoops.
Vas wrote: Next year? that is 50 days from now. I said next year back in IIRC 2012.
Yea, I sound pessimistic, perhaps just being realistic.
That's true. My first (and only) multitouch monitor I got 5 or 6 years ago, with high hopes for multitouch applications to appear soon. This monitor ended up as simple touch-monitor for my internet machine for scrolling websites and copy/paste flicks. To get a new one I'm not decided.

But I think there are some things coming, although slowly.

Vas

Post by Vas » 15 Nov 2015 00:06

Sorry about the Patcher and that is what is it called but a very similar VST/VSTi by IL the MiniHost is free but it is in Beta.
Sorry if I misunderstood your comments.

So you have been at the touch screen screen forefront since ancient times. Wow!

Can I interest you to design the first VSTi Vectorized midi controller?