Microsoft Surface Just Getting Better...

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
InLight-Tone
Microsoft Surface Just Getting Better...

Post by InLight-Tone » 07 Oct 2015 20:59

It sure would be nice if Lemur was ported to Windows as these devices just keep pushing the envelope, far superior to iPad as you can run full blown Windows apps on them. Even the new Lumina phones from Microsoft are running Windows 10.

Please consider porting Lemur to Windows, there is sure to be a huge market for you if there isn't already. I know for a fact that media composers would snatch Lemur in a second once the port is finished. Just sayin...

Home Studio 87

Re: Microsoft Surface Just Getting Better...

Post by Home Studio 87 » 07 Oct 2015 22:02

+100

Vas

Post by Vas » 06 Nov 2015 06:59

Just got a 23" multi-touch screen in the hope that Liine will port Lemur to Windows!
Please do this soon. Peaeaeaease!
23" 10-touch Monitor, iPad Air - IconnectMIDI2+, Windows 10- 64bit, GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R Rev 2, Xeon W3690, 12GB RAM, Firebox, Cubase 7.5, Sonar Platinum, S1 2, Reaper 5, Komplete 8, Lumur, Iris 2.

Phil999
Regular

Post by Phil999 » 06 Nov 2015 20:18

Hi Vas,

may I ask, which touch screen monitor did you buy? I'm looking for a 23" or even 27", but I find it not so easy to find an affordable monitor with 10 touch points.
Formant+Eurorack, PPG wave 2.2, Korg MS-20, etc., EWI 4000s, QuNeo, etc., Mixbus32c, u-he, MadronaLabs, Samplemodeling, NI, etc., iPad2/4/Pro

Vas

Post by Vas » 07 Nov 2015 02:00

[quote="Phil999"]Hi Vas,

I bought both 23” Acer T232HL Abmjjz and Viewsonic 23” TD2340. Out of the box the Acer looked better with higher contrast but with a little tweaking the Viewsonic was obviously brighter and a bit better colors.

The Viwesonic I believe had a very slightly faster touch response. The Viewsonic has also a far superior adjustable base.

Walmart saved me with their 15 day great return policy. I was thinking about getting the DELL 23” P2314T and see how it compares. But I did not.

I am on Windows 10 64 bit. I am now using the Viewsonic TD2340 23” 10 touch screen as my third screen. The 28" is a non-touch screen that sits vertically above the Viewsonic. My mouse moves up and down from the 28" top left screen to the Viewsonic. Both have the same pixel count. My smaller right screen is actually my primary.

A few issues I have:

Disappointed that most of the VST’s and VSTi’s are not multitouch.

An inward swipe from the right side opens up the Action Center window on the primary top right monitor.

Also to consider on ebay or as used.

NEC E232WMT

LG 23ET63B-W,

LG 23ET83V-W

I say a nearly new LG go for $100 on ebay
23" 10-touch Monitor, iPad Air - IconnectMIDI2+, Windows 10- 64bit, GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R Rev 2, Xeon W3690, 12GB RAM, Firebox, Cubase 7.5, Sonar Platinum, S1 2, Reaper 5, Komplete 8, Lumur, Iris 2.

Phil999
Regular

Post by Phil999 » 07 Nov 2015 21:39

thank you very much for this insight. The Viewsonic 23” TD2340 looks like a good choice. 10-point multitouch, 23", 1920 1080 resolution, for an affordable price. The only thing that troubles me a bit is that these monitors are quite dated. Aren't there any new monitors in 2015?
Vas wrote:Disappointed that most of the VST’s and VSTi’s are not multitouch.
Yes, that is so. I was surprised to find out (on a cheap Win tablet) that VSTi's from http://tal-software.com/ respond to multitouch. All others not (except internal synths in multitouch enabled DAW's like Studio One). This is regrettable.

I was thinking it is enough to interact with softsynths with only one finger. But this is rather for sound design, definitely not for interactive, spontaneous live use. Think about the possibilities you have on a real synth with lots of knobs and levers. Instant access all the time. Start with one patch and end with a completely different sound later. This is action, creative, intuitive, pure fun.

As time flows by there will be (hopefully) some more VSTi's with multitouch. The funny thing is, it doesn't matter what DAW you use. I was using Harrison Mixbus which is not multitouch enabled, but the inserted TAL Sampler is! So it became clear to me that it's only the plugin developer's task to implement multitouch.

From my point of view it is kind of primitive that in 2015 multitouch is not available in most cases. It will take another 5 years or so until we are there. Or 10 years, I don't know. Maybe never. Companies keep telling that multitouch is for smart phones and tablets. They may be right from a marketing point of view. It also makes sense in ergonomics. I understand that, although from a musician's perspective it looks very different. Musicians usually have, or should have, trained arms, to reach out for that particular setting on their foot pedal or microphone stand. So it is no problem for them to reach the arm for a mute or solo button on a tablet DAW or desktop DAW control surface, or tweak a parameter on a softsynth, for heaven's sake.

I've built a couple of Lemur programmer templates for my softsynths, but I've grown tired of it. Takes so much time of my life because I'm not very fast/smart in creating those templates. Recent news from Native Instruments and Akai give some hope, but in the end they just want to sell their keyboards that include those advanced parameter mapping features. It's a good trend, but I already have my keyboards. I don't want to buy a new one just for 8 paltry knobs and parameter displays.

In the meantime I guess I will stick to my Lemur templates. They work well. What more do I want? Of course I want much more! We have to wait.
Formant+Eurorack, PPG wave 2.2, Korg MS-20, etc., EWI 4000s, QuNeo, etc., Mixbus32c, u-he, MadronaLabs, Samplemodeling, NI, etc., iPad2/4/Pro

Vas

Post by Vas » 08 Nov 2015 18:42

Phil999 wrote:thank you very much for this insight. The Viewsonic 23” TD2340 looks like a good choice. 10-point multitouch, 23", 1920 1080 resolution, for an affordable price. The only thing that troubles me a bit is that these monitors are quite dated. Aren't there any new monitors in 2015?
Vas wrote:Disappointed that most of the VST’s and VSTi’s are not multitouch.
Yes, that is so. I was surprised to find out (on a cheap Win tablet) that VSTi's from http://tal-software.com/ respond to multitouch. All others not (except internal synths in multitouch enabled DAW's like Studio One). This is regrettable.

I was thinking it is enough to interact with softsynths with only one finger. But this is rather for sound design, definitely not for interactive, spontaneous live use. Think about the possibilities you have on a real synth with lots of knobs and levers. Instant access all the time. Start with one patch and end with a completely different sound later. This is action, creative, intuitive, pure fun.

As time flows by there will be (hopefully) some more VSTi's with multitouch. The funny thing is, it doesn't matter what DAW you use. I was using Harrison Mixbus which is not multitouch enabled, but the inserted TAL Sampler is! So it became clear to me that it's only the plugin developer's task to implement multitouch.

From my point of view it is kind of primitive that in 2015 multitouch is not available in most cases. It will take another 5 years or so until we are there. Or 10 years, I don't know. Maybe never. Companies keep telling that multitouch is for smart phones and tablets. They may be right from a marketing point of view. It also makes sense in ergonomics. I understand that, although from a musician's perspective it looks very different. Musicians usually have, or should have, trained arms, to reach out for that particular setting on their foot pedal or microphone stand. So it is no problem for them to reach the arm for a mute or solo button on a tablet DAW or desktop DAW control surface, or tweak a parameter on a softsynth, for heaven's sake.

I've built a couple of Lemur programmer templates for my softsynths, but I've grown tired of it. Takes so much time of my life because I'm not very fast/smart in creating those templates. Recent news from Native Instruments and Akai give some hope, but in the end they just want to sell their keyboards that include those advanced parameter mapping features. It's a good trend, but I already have my keyboards. I don't want to buy a new one just for 8 paltry knobs and parameter displays.

In the meantime I guess I will stick to my Lemur templates. They work well. What more do I want? Of course I want much more! We have to wait.
The age of the monitors troubled me also. I could not find anything newer that met my specs. The newer touch monitors will be 4k and perhaps thinner and in the following generation they will be velocity sensitive.

The main issue is finding mutlitouch software to use on the Viewsonic. I understand that VST's that are made with JUCE automatically are multi touch capable. I would love to have Absynth and IRIS as MT. The Mangle may be MT. I will check out he TAL plugins for MT. I will check out the Studio One 2 synths and use as MT.

Let's hope the Lemur is ported t the Windows Platform. Also hoping Usine http://www.sensomusic.com will be offered as a VST/VSti.

Phil999
Regular

Post by Phil999 » 08 Nov 2015 22:59

Vas wrote:I understand that VST's that are made with JUCE automatically are multi touch capable.
ah, interesting information, thanks a lot. So I guess TAL VSTi's are programmed in JUCE?

Absynth with MT would be great, but my guess is this won't happen. I've read at KVR there is some development in Absynth, but we only know when it's there. Although for me it is good to use Absynth as a preset synth. Spreading sound to 4 audio channels. That's already great. Great sounds from presets (although I'm not into factory presets generally).

Interesting that you mention Usine. In the end, not surprising at all. I've been demoing Usine for some time, but haven't found a good access to this software yet. There are a couple of addons that are only controllers. Multitouch controllers. MCU and others. Configurable. OSC. Apparently very powerful. Still I haven't found a way to really test Hollyhock 2. Or purchase a license for it.

I simply need more impressions and examples to make a decision.

Vas

Post by Vas » 09 Nov 2015 00:23

Check out this article.
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov14/a ... e-2014.htm

I am waiting for Black Friday/Cyber Monday
and then get Usine if it is under $50. Or if
you have others to add to my list let me know.

Please elaborate on your comments about Usine
as I am very interested in it.

There are may intesing tablet apps that can and
should be ported to the Windows platform and run
as VST/VSTi's.

I sense a lack of enthusiasm in anything multi-touch
in the Windows domain. I do wonder why as Windows
offers the real-estate benefit and power of a PC and
a huge loyal musician user base. Most musicians I believe
use the MT for mixing but for me I am more in the music
creation and yes also mixing.

If you are in the Tampa Bay area stop by and check out my
set up.

Vas

Post by Vas » 09 Nov 2015 02:00

I am also considering XotoPad, works on Windows.
but not a VSTi. It is a stand alone.
http://www.feelyoursound.com/xotopad/
In one keyboard setup he mentions velocity
but not on the others.

Now $39. $20 on black Friday?
if it was a VSti I would have purchased it already.