Which Android Tablet?

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
FriFlo
Which Android Tablet?

Post by FriFlo » 04 Aug 2015 15:52

Ok, so, it seems my whishes for a Windows 8/10 Lemur version are not going to be fulfilled -at least not for a long time ... So, I would like to buy a tablet, that has more screen space to offer than an iPad. But I have read from you guys, there might be huge differences, how well tablets work with Lemur ... Also, it is important to me to have a tethered midi via USB connection, because I always lost parts of my OSC messages when sending bigger chunks via wifi.
Which tablet would you recommend for this? Size wise, I am looking for something like 13', maybe like the Lenovo YOGA Tablet 2 Pro 13"

FriFlo

Re: Which Android Tablet?

Post by FriFlo » 04 Aug 2015 16:32

I just found the list of "sucessfully used devices without customer complaints" - whatever that means ...
https://liine.net/wiki/android_devices
unfortunately, the Lenovo Yoga 2 pro is not one of them, but this one is: HP Slate 21 Pro - even bigger. other recommendations?

FriFlo

Post by FriFlo » 05 Aug 2015 18:04

What about those Xoro Megapads? Those are available in bigger sizes, full HD IPS, no fancy stuff (I even don't need a battery as it is studio only and mounted to the desk) and are quite cheap. What would speak against them? I haven't found them mentioned here ...

FriFlo

Post by FriFlo » 07 Aug 2015 01:10

Hello ? Is anybody there? :? Can't be true, that nobody is looking for a bigger android tablet. It is just to amazing, as to ignore that possibility ... So far, I could only find some dudes plugging an android TV box to a 23' touch monitor. While I think about looking into that as well, I am still searching for a solid 13 a 17' standalone device and the Xoro seems quite promising. Well, it looks like I have to play the beta tester ...

schoko

Post by schoko » 08 Aug 2015 14:36

hi,

i use the 1851 megapad, its quite good for use with lemur.
If you buy one, then please don't update to 4.4 as you can read in the xoro forum(german only).
You can update it to 4.4 but you get a lot of errors, and the ethernet will not work (just wlan).When you restore the tablet's factory defaults,
you can't use the ethernet port too!!! (crazy...).

greetz
klaus

FriFlo

Post by FriFlo » 10 Aug 2015 01:30

Hi (fellow German) Klaus. And thanks for a reply, finally! :-) I just got my Xoro. Unfortunately, I missed that the 14' version does not have an Ethernet plug! I am currently figuring out, if I can help that with a USB-Ethernet adaptor. Size wise it is perfect for me. It feels a little cheaper compared to an iPad, but I was kind of expecting that for the price.
Regarding 4.4 - you are talking about android v4.4? Unfortunately, it already came with 4.4 installed ...

schoko

Post by schoko » 10 Aug 2015 15:53

Not German -> Austria, that's a difference!

You don't need an Ethernet plug, just use WLAN, i watched the video on the liine page...
You are lucky with 4.4, i stuck here with 4.2..., that's what i meant.

FriFlo

Post by FriFlo » 11 Aug 2015 10:55

schoko wrote:Not German -> Austria, that's a difference!
Alright, I was assuming to much from your name. But I am in Munich, so, if General Morgenthau would have pushed through his plans, we could have landed in the same country! ;-)
You don't need an Ethernet plug, just use WLAN, i watched the video on the liine page...
You are lucky with 4.4, i stuck here with 4.2..., that's what i meant.
Yes I know. I already checked out and Lemur does work with wifi on this device, but I am sending huge chunks of OSC and had problems with wifi on the iPad. That is why a ethernet connection is - next to the display size - the other main reason I was looking for an android device for Lemur.

Traxus
Regular

Post by Traxus » 12 Aug 2015 18:01

On my android TVs, I had to use an app that requires root level access to change the DPI of the screen.

Changing the DPI of the screen (from say 240 to 239) somehow made lemur recognize the correct resolution of the device when it wasn't doing so beforehand...

This could be because the monitor is external, or because its a Chinese made device...

Have any of you bought one of these large android tablets and tried Lemur yet or are you still shopping them out?..

If you have bought them, did you encounter similar issues with resolution detection?

If not, be aware that you might need to root your device, as in try to buy something that is easily rootable.