hey,,has anyone make a joystick emulation surround panner?

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
digitalson
Regular
hey,,has anyone make a joystick emulation surround panner?

Post by digitalson » 11 May 2015 04:22

something i can use to run 5.1 panning thru lemur,with so many varibles involved ,im not sure its possable..anyone?

digitalson
Regular

Re: hey,,has anyone make a joystick emulation surround panne

Post by digitalson » 22 May 2015 17:15

any one? nobody made a 5.1 panner for cubase? is it hard? maybe there is no gen remote function for center abd sub

Phil999
Regular

Post by Phil999 » 24 May 2015 11:00

I made a quad panner which is easy to setup, one parameter for left-right, one parameter for front-rear, which is best done in a single MultiBall object.

Surround panning is something a bit more sophisticated I believe, and as you already presumed I'm also not sure if all necessary control parameters are available in Cubase. Maybe in Nuendo?

I think generally surround panning is not meant to be remote controlled. Each DAW has its mouse-operated surround panner. But I don't know enough about the subject. Which does not mean that it's not possible in Lemur. Of course it is, but it would need a specific channel structure in Cubase where the center and the sub have their own channel. Lemur would control all 6 levels of a 5.1 mix.

But for this I think one must know about the common pan law in surround sound. When I move the surround panner in Cubase with the mouse, it looks quite complex how the levels interact.
Formant+Eurorack, PPG wave 2.2, Korg MS-20, etc., EWI 4000s, QuNeo, etc., Mixbus32c, u-he, MadronaLabs, Samplemodeling, NI, etc., iPad2/4/Pro

digitalson
Regular

Post by digitalson » 24 May 2015 12:27

i think i saw it ,,,but i dont think cubase has remote control for lfe and center levels anyway?

Phil999
Regular

Post by Phil999 » 25 May 2015 13:07

it doesn't matter much, there are ways around it. The send bus in Cubase could be used for this purpose also: 6 sends that go into a 5.1 master channel.

But I think this doesn't make much sense. For music, I don't need a center speaker and a subbass. The four speakers in the corners do matter. And for film I better leave the 5.1 mix to the experts.
Formant+Eurorack, PPG wave 2.2, Korg MS-20, etc., EWI 4000s, QuNeo, etc., Mixbus32c, u-he, MadronaLabs, Samplemodeling, NI, etc., iPad2/4/Pro

digitalson
Regular

Post by digitalson » 26 May 2015 06:26

well thats what i do,,,as well as mixing music, i do post film work,like adr, sound design, spotting,,the whole taco!!!,,i saw the x,y ball and i like the way it can bounce off the walls,like one of those super bouncy balls we had when we were kids!!!!,that might be interesting to hear,,,since i am kinda new to lemur,i guess u set the x to be l,r and the y to be front,rear? ill experement ...i have been using cubase pro 8 and nuendo 6.5 for video work ,,,but im really liking cb8 much better,,,the only thing i would miss i n65 is the anymix 5.1 panner,,its the bomb,,,but honestly u can do the same stuff in cb8

Phil999
Regular

Post by Phil999 » 26 May 2015 10:51

interesting. In that case I have an address for surround mixes if I need one.

Yes a MultiBall object is perfect for animated panning. Set it up as you described, enable Physics and add controls for friction, speed, attraction. It is 'only' quad, but from what I know the center surround channel is primarily for speech. The music is generally distributed to the corner and LFE channels, so for practical use I would say use the corner channels for panning and one send (with constant level*) for the LFE. And the MultiBall works fine, you can intuitively 'throw' signals around the room and let them bounce (with friction set to 0), speed the movement up and down, etc. And it's an automation independent from Cubase, and it can also be recorded or printed as internal automation.

Here is one example of a physics-enabled quad panner for Cubase in case you're wondering:

https://forum.liine.net/viewtopic.php?f ... t=10#p7417
(the corresponding Generic Remote xml can be found three posts above) (and if needed, setup instructions in the first post's zip)

*the LFE send level could be linked to front-rear (MultiBall.y). That may make sense.

digitalson
Regular

Post by digitalson » 26 May 2015 14:49

do u mean i can have the center come up when ball is in front center?

digitalson
Regular

Post by digitalson » 27 May 2015 08:52

well I tried the ball x,y panner and it works nice...and I put aux 7 and 8 as center and lfe...and I can put them in pre mode if u only want signal in center or sub

Macciza
Regular

Post by Macciza » 28 May 2015 01:35

iMac 2.8G i7 12G 10.6.8/10.7.2, Legacy Dexter/Lemur, Liine Lemur/iPad2, KMI SoftStep, 12Step & QuNeo , B-Controls, Mackie C4 etc
MaxMSP, Live Suite, Native Instrument stuff, etc Modified Virtual Guitar System etc All Projects/Modules © CC-BY-NC-SA[*][/b]